New Jmp 2204 Head Build For The 2018 Dallas Guitar Show - It's Done

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been experimenting and failing for the most part. I'm a decent artist with pencils & ink. I am also very capable 3D CAD designer and builder. Tempting as using CNC to rout out the design is I think that takes away from the build.

I've come to the humbling conclusion that I'm a squalling baby in nappies when it comes to carving wood...

I originally thought to emulate HH Geiger with his geometric patterning on tentacles. Not.

x5j98j1.jpg

I thought stylized snake skin. Nope.

GhN65sf.jpg

Then PYO [no idea what that stands for] Chinese dragon scales. Holy crap failure.

Iu40Exf.jpg

Bark texture. Shudder.

E0MvhwY.jpg

Geometric scales. Meh.

rPf1UXL.jpg

The scales have the most promise, but I'm going to have to practice. I hate practice. That is the reason I build flashy [to me at least] looking gear so no one notices my playing [it really doesn't work out that way but I do need some illusions].

So the test board has been sanded down for the third time to start anew. I plan to try the good old boring fish scale - partially to limit wild and crazy ideas - mostly as I want a smooth looking result, not hacked up and splintery.

iusYmma.jpg

I keep telling myself I have time - the guitar show starts 5/4/18.

Russ
Ya know even the plain old wood without carvings looks unique and interesting, the shapes and colors of the wood carry themselves, maybe leave it at that who says its gotta be more.

Geeze

Reaction score
Ya know even the plain old wood without carvings looks unique and interesting, the shapes and colors of the wood carry themselves, maybe leave it at that who says its gotta be more.

I keep telling myself that but it doesn't seem to stick yet.

This is what I built last year - the obsession to raise the bar a bit higher keeps on...

DlWe2tq.jpg

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Continuing on with the carving experiments.

Starting to - somewhat - get scale carving figured out. Also trying different colors.

DbWlHcb.jpg

Still not grabbing me.

F7i383r.jpg

Moving on to vines wrapped like rope.

CXpqIfC.jpg

Need to be bigger.

NiDWDhl.jpg

Bigger.

ph6xy2K.jpg

Still thinking so far this is a fools errand - which describes me to a T. Late night musings have me contemplating the next build something a long a dragon torso with a contrasting wood sticking up like flame shaped dorsal plates.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
After looking at vine pattern drawings, Celtic & Welsh designs a very simple pattern suggested itself [better you don't ask...]. Alternating cuts or indentations that follow the vine and increase or decrease according to the width.

jv1YV88.jpg

I have one of those Dremel router bases from Stewmac and arbitrarily set some depths and went at it freehand.

ogJxbLm.jpg

Now I'm beginning to wish I'd figured this out before I glued it together as it will be a bit challenging to round the sides. Also contemplating putting a contrasting bit of wood in the pockets too...

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
After a long hiatus [also known as procrastinating] I've come up with yet another plan. I liked the notched out sections and needed to keep them looking like they 'flowed' along with the vine as it widened and curved. I also didn't want to remove much wood as it will be a challenge [as boring ass labor] to sand the lowered surface of the notches.

To keep the lengthwise cuts smooth I modded a Stewmac Dremel plunge router base so that I'd only cut .5" into the vine and so that the cutter would have a guide to follow. This is looking at the bottom of the base.

jd7Brma.jpg

So whipping out my trusty test piece that gets thinner every time I touch it - I routed it out.

QQOp1pW.jpg

I'm not going to color it - as of today, I may change my mind tomorrow - but I think I have a winner. The sections where the curly maple butts against the padauk and the corners as they transition to the vertical plane are the next bits to ponder as this project creeps toward the finish line.

Russ

houseofrock

Reaction score
Russ I love that you take us through the thought process. Even as far as going into detail the ideas that don't work out.
That's awesome. I'm sure the final outcome will be just as great.
Rock

Last edited:

Kelia

Reaction score
Russ I love that you take us through the thought process. Even as far as going into detail the ideas thought don't work out.
That's awesome. I'm sure the final outcome will be just as great.
Rock
Yes that’s true !!.........he’s an awesome wood worker !!

Geeze

Reaction score
Russ I love that you take us through the thought process. Even as far as going into detail the ideas thought don't work out.

I've done more experimenting with this build than any other - to date. One thing that always amazed and intimidated me was all the test sketches and experimental arrangements many of the old world art masters did on their creations before they actually called it finished.

Top is cut. Next will be the sides and last the corners - as soon as I figure out a clean way to do them.

vaPuP2d.jpg

Experimenting with finishes.

Just lacquer

kSwLGLy.jpg

Epoxy with a midnight blue tint, sanded then epoxied.

mCw1isG.jpg

Neither is giving me the warm fuzzy yet.

Russ

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I like this better than the vines. Hey, did you notice the similarity between your design and the rubber mat in the first and third pics? Coincidence? Or inspriation?;)

Geeze

Reaction score
Cut the sides tonight - still need to figure out the corners. I'm about 90% I'm going to put a contrasting wood in the vine slots [yep willing to ready suffer for art...] either darker with walnut or lighter with maple.

fvYw7eI.jpg

aYNRcVF.jpg

The rig to supply light where I need it and dust removal too. Both bits got shifted frequently.

T8LB6Pj.jpg

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
OK - now the crazy REALLY begins. I've cut / fitted pieces of zebrawood into the slots to see how that looks. They will be glued / sanded and gaps epoxied in. So far I'm liking it. The seven pieces took about 20 minutes to fit by hand. Tomorrow out comes the disk sander and I go into production mode.

3unrVxJ.jpg

TZu8gus.jpg

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
I'll take "Insane amount of Work" for $200 Alex. But the best stuff doesn't come easy.

If I'd a known where this build would drag me... I'd still jump off the cliff!

Here are some of the tools used to cut / shape & fit the bits into the slots. Drum sander to 'mill' the zebrawood strips to .070" thick.

YnMSAyN.jpg

A 12" disk sander to quickly remove and cut angles to fit.

iJK2fmQ.jpg

Here is the front edge fitted.

JP5dAZX.jpg

Only about a 180 more to go!

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
If you have a woodworker near and dear to your heart and don't know what to buy for that special occasion - CLAMPS!

ky92ws9.jpg

R5qvoCd.jpg

It took about 2 hours to cut / fit and glue [front edge only got glue] this morning. A full pot of coffee [or two] and a long day should see 98% fitted and glued. Still pondering the roll over corners.

DbVPMBt.jpg

Russ

Kelia

Reaction score
If I'd a known where this build would drag me... I'd still jump off the cliff!

Here are some of the tools used to cut / shape & fit the bits into the slots. Drum sander to 'mill' the zebrawood strips to .070" thick.

YnMSAyN.jpg

A 12" disk sander to quickly remove and cut angles to fit.

iJK2fmQ.jpg

Here is the front edge fitted.

JP5dAZX.jpg

Only about a 180 more to go!

Russ
Can we say you are an Artist ?...:cool:

Latest posts