New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jalex

Reaction score
Seriously, any USB cable will do...
Digital information transfert is either perfect or not working, but will never influence the sound..
if your USB cable doesn't work (signal loss, disconnections, transfert errors) try one with a ferrite core that will limit the interferences.

I got my 25 a week ago.
I had a crappy USB cable from a hard drive and I tried recording with it.
I got intermittent artifacts in the sound, like a digital robot distorted voice or something.

I then brought a new cable (some cheap sh**t still) but noow the artifacts are gone.
They only come up if you remove, plugin the USB while you are playing or if you save a preset while connected to USB...

I have no clue if this is a software error or a fucked up cheap cables issue.

But otherwise USB direct recording and sound is great. Different than what you get from the speaker. And low latency (64 asio spls)
I have a Yamaha 50M monitor set-up with subwoofer and the amp sounds amazing through USB via the Yamahas.

Iagtrplyr16

Reaction score
Had an enjoyable session with my 50 last night. The models I've tweaked sound really good, but there are still a whole bunch left to do. I know this has been said, but what happened to the DSL of models? Yuck! No matter, for me the Jubilee, 800, and JVM more than make up for it. I'm gonna begin looking for something Voxy. Any suggestions?

Benzel

Reaction score
just pick a preamp, poweramp and cabinet, keep resonance and presence at zero and the gate's treshold low... start from there
settings that work for me, probably won't work for you, as we have totally different guitars
Thanks! I actually got it going very nicely now thanks to your tip!

C-4

Reaction score
I have found with my JMD-1 H, as with any other modeler, that there are going to be some models that one doesn't prefer for whatever reason.

I just pre-ordered a Code 50 and pedal to go with it. Just from the videos on it, I already know that I will simply tweak a few of the sounds and go with those for the time being. I did that with my JMD and it's all I need. The factory presets can either be used as is, or be tamed and used really well.

That is what I have done with every modeler I have ever had.

I am really looking forward to the Code. Not only is it going to be fun using it, but it will eliminate extra gear that I currently have to haul around.

C-4

Reaction score
These are not the older Vox amps. I had those. These are brand new models.

Iagtrplyr16

Reaction score
I like the new Vox AV series
Haven't tried either the AV or VT-X series, but owned at least one amp from each of the previous generations. I honestly thought the tone worsened with each new amp. The last one was the 80-watt combo that I sent back to Sweetwater because of the snare drum-like digital artifact after each chord. I've been Vox-less since.

Reactions: C-4

C-4

Reaction score
Haven't tried either the AV or VT-X series, but owned at least one amp from each of the previous generations. I honestly thought the tone worsened with each new amp. The last one was the 80-watt combo that I sent back to Sweetwater because of the snare drum-like digital artifact after each chord. I've been Vox-less since.

I found the same exact things you did with each new Vox update of the Valvetronix line, including the VT 80+!

I was glad I kept my AD30VT. I used that amp for a long time and it sounded the best of any of them. It was totally stock too, it's entire life.

Frank S

Reaction score
I found the same exact things you did with each new Vox update of the Valvetronix line, including the VT 80+!

I was glad I kept my AD30VT. I used that amp for a long time and it sounded the best of any of them. It was totally stock too, it's entire life.

I had a VT20+ once and I thought the Vox models there fine but I did not like the sound of most other models. I tried the VT40+ and VT80+ models as well to confirm that it had nothing to do with the speaker size.

The VT+ turned me off from all the Vox modelling amps.

But the Vox AV series is different as it is analoge modeling (with tube in the circuits). When I tried the Code 25 in the store and did not like it that much I tried the Vox AV15 as well and liked that much that I own an AV30 now.

khan

Reaction score
Man! Thanks for everyone's feedback. They're still not in the local GC here. I'm using a Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12 for practice and my JCM800 for live. I can never get the VC to sound how I want and I've got my 800 so dialed in with lower distortion preamp tubes that It'll be impossible to match. After reading the input in this thread, I'm pretty sure I'm ready to sell the VC and get the CODE for a practice amp. I do use a load of pedals in front of my 800 and VC so, I'm hoping I can either create patches mimicking those or they sound good enough in front of the amp for practice. Plus, even a new CODE 50 is less money than I should get for my VC. So, a few more bucks for the gear fund. Thanks again for everyone's input and knowledge.

chrisjtm1

Reaction score
Just picked up my Code50 one of the first in the UK according to the shop.

Little disappointed if I'm honest, really wanted to love it as much as my JMD but little too easy to dial in some harsh sounding tones. Hoping the speaker will break in and it will grow on me more.

mazzefr

Reaction score

Little disappointed if I'm honest, really wanted to love it as much as my JMD but little too easy to dial in some harsh sounding tones. Hoping the speaker will break in and it will grow on me more.

You really need to fiddle with it for a few days to make a proper assessment. I've had mine for over a month, play at least an hour a day and I keep getting better with it.

Benzel

Reaction score

I can confirm mazzefr statement. I too was disappointed at first, but as he said, you'll grow into using it. As I was instructed here before, pick pre-amp, power-amp and cab, but threshold,presence and resonance at low/0 and start building from there, it helped ALOT and I now have a couple of presets of my own that sounds absolutely splendid. Keep at it.

Benzel

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I've read in a lot of places that connecting a bass to a guitar amp can DAMAGE the amp? Is this true? And would it apply to the CODE too? I know it wouldn't sound good in any way, just curious and I want to try it out if it were to be harmless.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I've read in a lot of places that connecting a bass to a guitar amp can DAMAGE the amp? Is this true? And would it apply to the CODE too? I know it wouldn't sound good in any way, just curious and I want to try it out if it were to be harmless.
You CAN. just keep volume low enough so the bass frequencies don't frap out that speaker and damage the coil.

Benzel

Reaction score
Hm okey, still sounds too risky. I'll just keep pitch shifting my guitar and pluck it like a bass in my recordings I think.

C-4

Reaction score
One thing playing a bass through the Code might do is loosen up the speaker faster, but as mentioned, keep the volume down.

Iagtrplyr16

Reaction score
Hm okey, still sounds too risky. I'll just keep pitch shifting my guitar and pluck it like a bass in my recordings I think.
Bass guitar is an octave below that of our electrics, so cranking up the volume and slamming the E will send that driver across the room! Okay, nave not across the room, but you can definitely damage it. You could run it at low power though without too much risk, and like C-4 mentioned, it may loosen the speaker up quicker. Just don't pop your strings while playing your funky stuff!