New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lukelovesmuse

Reaction score
Received my replacement Code 50 today and this one the cabinet is buzzing on low D notes as well. Will have to see if the retailer and Marshall can work out what's going wrong.

Plectrum

Reaction score
Received my replacement Code 50 today and this one the cabinet is buzzing on low D notes as well. Will have to see if the retailer and Marshall can work out what's going wrong.

I got some buzzing from mine today. I was doing a quick play-though of my presets outside quite loud (which starts at 2 on this amp LOL :)) and got some buzzing when playing a B on the low E string. It was caused by the amp stand I was using. Put the amp on the concrete and all was well. Are you certain that there's nothing about the room you're playing in which could be causing it? Does it buzz if you play outside with the amp on tera firma? It seem odd that you've got 2 amps with the same fault.

Neoyjm

Reaction score
Have you checked your truss rod and action? Any certain frets that buzz? I think its the guitar buzzing

lukelovesmuse

Reaction score
I got some buzzing from mine today. I was doing a quick play-though of my presets outside quite loud (which starts at 2 on this amp LOL :)) and got some buzzing when playing a B on the low E string. It was caused by the amp stand I was using. Put the amp on the concrete and all was well. Are you certain that there's nothing about the room you're playing in which could be causing it? Does it buzz if you play outside with the amp on tera firma? It seem odd that you've got 2 amps with the same fault.

Not impossible that it's what it's standing on. However it does it both on the carpet as well as on wooden planks which I tried to stop the issue with. Plus it sounds better off carpet anyway. Not sure what else I can put it on in my bedroom. I've suggested that the retailer take my old amp and see what they think is going on. If it happens on their surfaces too there may be an issue with this batch or something. Note also that a Marshall SL5 in the exact same place doesn't have the problem.

Have you checked your truss rod and action? Any certain frets that buzz? I think its the guitar buzzing

It's not the guitar. Fret buzz is minimal. The buzz is to do with resonating of the amp cabinet around low D frequency notes. IE 10th fret low E, 5th fret A. Is also particularly bad when playing D string open and palm-muted. Playing through the Marshall SL5 in the exact some conditions and there is no buzz.

The amp vibrates so much on D notes that pedals I place on top of it move. Whereas on other notes there is no vibration at all. I have also tried without pedals or anything touching the amp that could be causing it.

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
Not impossible that it's what it's standing on. However it does it both on the carpet as well as on wooden planks which I tried to stop the issue with. Plus it sounds better off carpet anyway. Not sure what else I can put it on in my bedroom. I've suggested that the retailer take my old amp and see what they think is going on. If it happens on their surfaces too there may be an issue with this batch or something. Note also that a Marshall SL5 in the exact same place doesn't have the problem.

It's not the guitar. Fret buzz is minimal. The buzz is to do with resonating of the amp cabinet around low D frequency notes. IE 10th fret low E, 5th fret A. Is also particularly bad when playing D string open and palm-muted. Playing through the Marshall SL5 in the exact some conditions and there is no buzz.

The amp vibrates so much on D notes that pedals I place on top of it move. Whereas on other notes there is no vibration at all. I have also tried without pedals or anything touching the amp that could be causing it.

Have you tried it in a different room. When I first got mine I thought it was buzzing but it ended up being the ornamental handles on a antique drum table. The frequencies were just right to get them to vibrate and buzz. took me a while to figure it out and had to stick the hanging ringpulls down with blutac.

lukelovesmuse

Reaction score
Have you tried it in a different room. When I first got mine I thought it was buzzing but it ended up being the ornamental handles on a antique drum table. The frequencies were just right to get them to vibrate and buzz. took me a while to figure it out and had to stick the hanging ringpulls down with blutac.

No. However I don't want to use the the amp in a different room and it's 100% the amp buzzing/vibrating as I previously described.

AKA it's not coming from the speaker, it's coming from the cabinet.

Antmax

Reaction score
I only mentioned it because of my own personal experience. And the fact that testing in another room completely removes the possibility from the equation.

Joben

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum as I've got a Code 25, which I've had for a few weeks now. I'm a beginner guitarist (sold a little Roland Cube to get the Code) and I'm beginning to think I've cut off more than I can chew lol. I'm okay with the presets (I'm not that big a chump ;-) ) and generally use the clean presets. However, as I've got kids I need to practice at low volumes and I'm really struggling to find a preset or specifically create a patch that provides a saturated overdriven tone at low volume.

Any ideas? It's driving me nut's and I'm spending more time fiddling with the amp that actually playing the guitar.

Thanks

Plectrum

Reaction score
The 50 is indeed loud. I gigged mine on Wednesday and even on 4 it was more than loud enough. Too loud probably. The thing I have noticed is that it sounds a lot better once the volume goes over about 2. I think the speaker needs to be driven a bit to get the best out of it.

@Joben try either a Plexi or JCM800 with a Governor pedal (that's pre-fx->distortion->GOV).

Jam81

Reaction score
So to record sound coming out of the code into a computer, I know a few of you suggested using the line out rather than the USB, now what software for mac do you recommend? anything free, nothing too professional, just for fun.

Thank you.

jmp45

Reaction score
The 50 arrived this am, gave it a quick run through before moving to the studio later. First impression, loud for a small 50w solid state, 99 presets are unusable. Yes, master at 2 until I write my own. I'll start from scratch and write maybe 5 or 10 and be done with it. Lost connection with Bluetooth once, reboot the amp reconnected. For $250, I'll keep it, it has some potential.

MCODE_zpsqij5mvdt.jpg

hcelizondo

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here, I also got a CODE 50. I have been playin guitar for over a year now so I'm also a noob. I'm really liking the CODE, at least for me is giving me a great lab and learning tool in my journey. without breaking the bank I have a lot to experiment and learn with so it really doesn't bother if it's digital technology, plus you have all of these cool features like the ability to record to my computer without any extra audio interface and also controlling it using BT is pretty cool. I'm an IT professional so working with digital tech is my bread and butter :). Please excuse any grammar errors but english is not mi first language.

Cheers,
HC

P.S.
Also it looks like I have found what the issue is with recording thorugh USB. I have posted my workaround on the "Code digital Amp series" thread. Basically it looks like it is a USB speed issue, if you are facing this problem, just plug your CODE to a USB 3.0 port and that should resolve the problem

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum as I've got a Code 25, which I've had for a few weeks now. I'm a beginner guitarist (sold a little Roland Cube to get the Code) and I'm beginning to think I've cut off more than I can chew lol. I'm okay with the presets (I'm not that big a chump ;-) ) and generally use the clean presets. However, as I've got kids I need to practice at low volumes and I'm really struggling to find a preset or specifically create a patch that provides a saturated overdriven tone at low volume.

Any ideas? It's driving me nut's and I'm spending more time fiddling with the amp that actually playing the guitar.

Thanks
Have you tried a Jubilee? Gain at 6 or 7, EQ to taste, preset volume around 2 or a touch less. Also, if you want staurated lead tones, JVM OD preset number around 15 or so off the top again, set preset volume low.

David Elliott

Reaction score
Have you tried a Jubilee? Gain at 6 or 7, EQ to taste, preset volume around 2 or a touch less. Also, if you want staurated lead tones, JVM OD preset number around 15 or so off the top again, set preset volume low.[/
I spend a ton of time fiddling with it as well, but I think unless you really understand all the equipment that it models and you don't have a lot of experience with dialing in sounds then you just have to experiment, and that is part of the fun.