New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Plectrum

Reaction score
My 2 button MG footswitch turned on/off the pre fx and mod fx...I'm curious if anyone has tried the Marshall PEDL-90008 with it and see what it does?

Just tried it. I can't make it do anything.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
just registered so i can post,
I'm really starting to enjoy the code25, and despite its small speaker-which will never sound like a 4x12, --it has a lot of potential-for practice and recording.
I'm loving the fact that for the price of a boutique distortion/od pedal-we get the history of Marshall.
believe me-if i could use the 100w head in my rig , i would, but i play at home, and i have yet to try hooking up the code25 to a 4x12, dont really have to because it is pretty good anyway--1x10.
I have looked at most of the youtube vids, and they cant really show the actual sound-cos its youtube--
but the 25 is loud, i mean LOUD, and thats all good, its Marshall after all.
if i could turn back time-i might have got the 50, for the bigger screen , and the 12 inch speaker, but seriously--for the price, i think they nailed it.
Most of the time, the blutooth thing is working ok--some bugs which i hope they fix, but the more you play with it, the more you will see how good they made it work.
i used to be a line6 guy, but i went back to valve--loved the class5 so much i got 4 of them-some modded, but i needed a lot of outboard stuff to get the distortion and delay/reverb stuff i wanted--its all there in spades with the code,
I have been looking hard for a printed list of the presets-so i can decide which to overwrite, and a list of the actual models of pre/power and speaker cab models-just so i can start to get things organised.
but its all good-and can only get better-well done Marshall, really.
cheers guys
andy k
Andy can you coax any real good Brown tones from the Code 25?
I had the Yamaha thr10x, the blackstar ID 260tvp, the fender mustang,the Vox and the cube and none of these really had that marshall rodded tone?
I know it is only a $250 amp but i was wondering if i could get a decent VH I and VH II tone at low volumes with the gain being muddy like on the Blackstar and mustang.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a tube screamer or other OD pedal in front for a clean boost?

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
I bought my Code 25 couple weeks ago.I traded in my Eleven Rack .The sound and models from the Code are superior in every way.I wish that Marshall would make an app that looked and worked like the pc program for the Eleven Rack.Been playing the Code 10 to 1 more than my Hughes and Kettner Switchblade.I think it is THAT good.
:eek: superior to a Eleven rack? damn i will love this amp then!:hbang:

morgan bucks

Reaction score
You can dial in early VH with no pedals. I have the 50 and was going to replace the speaker but the stock one is sounding better with a little breaking in.

andy k

Reaction score
I have simple tastes,
my "clean " setting , on the code 25 is jtm45, vol,bass,and treble on 10, mid 5, gain about 3, gate off,classic marshall 100watt power,pres and res at 5 and vintage 4x12,
my "dirt" setting is bluesbreaker pre-amp, vint 30watt marshall power, and a 1x12 cab---with guvnor pedal at 5.
at least i think thats what they are--app has broken again for third time--good job i saved the settings on the amp--cos the app is really infuriating in its behaviour.
they really need to be fixing this soon -its a huge waste of time setting things up, and then having to re-set the app .
otherwise the amp is really excellent-i think it could probably get any good tone--saving them might be a problem though.
I am thinking of getting a 50, for the bigger screen as it will be easier to make patches on the amp itself--I just cant trust the app to work reliably right now.
cheers guys
andy k

Antmax

Reaction score
Yeah. I want to write a 5 star Amazon review for my code 50. Keep hoping the app will be updated and the bugs fixed since right now I can only give it a 4 out of 5. I'm super happy with the amp but the glitchy gateway app has marred the experience somewhat.

C-4

Reaction score
With all the problems the app is giving everyone, why are you all still screwing with the app?
I don't even plan to try the app out. All I want are the tones I desire from the amp, and nothing else.

mazzefr

Reaction score
With all the problems the app is giving everyone, why are you all still screwing with the app?
I don't even plan to try the app out. All I want are the tones I desire from the amp, and nothing else.

The app still makes it easier to adjust settings. Just don't save to it, save to the amp.

Antmax

Reaction score
App is the simplest way to tweak the amp. It's intuitive, quick and easy to do from your desk which is where I spend most of my practice time. No need to wander over and start pressing buttons. It's all a tab and a couple of presses away. I mostly use the same 6 modified presets and just saved them over the worst of the stock ones stored on the amp, like the one called virus.

Can't wait for the app to be fixed or the ability for the patches to be stored somewhere so the bugs aren't as big a deal.

In some ways I'd prefer the CODE if the controls were in the traditional top/front of the cabinet in easy reach without having to leave the chair and stand over it.

Plectrum

Reaction score
In some ways I'd prefer the CODE if the controls were in the traditional top/front of the cabinet in easy reach without having to leave the chair and stand over it.

I suppose that depends on your definition of traditional. I think most of the early Marshall combos had the controls on top (1962, 1974). Personally I'm finding it very convenient when changing settings on the amp.

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
In this Vid a PV vypyr sounds better than a code 50 for the plexi preset.
I dont know the eq settings he used but the PV sounded better/smoother

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
You can dial in early VH with no pedals. I have the 50 and was going to replace the speaker but the stock one is sounding better with a little breaking in.
any chance of posting a clip? No offence but i have seen players say this before even on really high end gear,
and the resulting tone was not very early VH at all?
Not saying this about you personally but i am sure you can understand my skepticism.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Any amp that can reasonably do 800, Plexi, JTM, Jube, JVM should be able to close enough cop it with some tweaking, I would say. Rather than one member having to post a pile of clips trying to emulate a pile of tones from a pile of requests, IMO..
That tone being somewhat subjective and considering the price point of the amp...

I should maybe clarify - the tone user hears must be translated well over to video of whatever version - phone = boo usually - then end user listens to said recording on who knows what for speakers / headphones and compares it directly to early VH. I doubt it would be the same though to initial user it sounds fairly good.

Last edited: