New Song Draft - Jcm 800 2203x And Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Hss

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dptone5

Reaction score
Friends,

Here is my first attempt to record a song on my MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X. I have a lot to learn. Wanted to get some feedback from my friends here on the Marshall Forum.

This is a very rough draft. First take on everything, so there is some definite sloppiness. LOL

Here are the instruments:
  • Drums - EZ Drummer2 - First attempt at using loops to build a song.
  • Bass - Fender Highway One P-Bass - Direct into Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, into an ART Pro MPA II Tube Pre-Amp, into an ART Pro VLA II Tube Compressor
  • Guitar - Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster HSS (Atomic Bridge)
  • Amp - Marshall JCM 800 2203X into 1960BX cabinet with Greenbacks
  • Mic - Shure SM-57 into the Focusrite Audio Interface and ART Tube Pre-Amp and Compressor
Did a basic mix in Logic Pro X. Added a little noise gate to the rhythm tracks. Recorded two rhythms, one with the S1 switch engaged and the other without it. One panned left and one right. The OD pedal on the rhythm tracks was the Fulltone Fulldrive II.

Added a Multipressor and a Subbass to fatten the bass. I haven't spent a lot of time working on the bass line, so that definitely needs work.

For the lead line, used the TS-808 for overdrive. FX added were a Match EQ with cut off above 10k, Compressor, Noise Gate and Reverb (Guitar Large Hall seemed to work best).

Lastly, I added an adaptive limiter to the stereo out track. When I listen to it in Logic Pro X, this adds a lot of life to the mix. What I don't know is when I select all the tracks and bounced them to create the .wav file, did it select the individual tracks only or did I get the stereo out and the effect that was added to it?

Please let me know what you think and any advice would be much appreciated!!

DP

Last edited:

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Nice! You are a good player and I likes the sound and tone of that!

dptone5

Reaction score
Nice! You are a good player and I likes the sound and tone of that!

Thanks! Coming from you that is a great compliment my friend. Tenacia is Italian for Tenacity. There is quite a story behind this song and why it is named what it is. Thought you'd like a song with an Italian title considering your upcoming trip!

dptone5

Reaction score
Sounds good.....

I'd throw some type of slap back delay on the lead for good measure.....

Peace

Thank you Soulcaster. When I messed with some delay at this point, it really squashed the lead. I need to learn how to do that without making it sound lost in the mix. Appreciate the feedback sir!!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends,

Here is my first attempt to record a song on my MacBook Pro with Logic Pro X. I have a lot to learn. Wanted to get some feedback from my friends here on the Marshall Forum.

This is a very rough draft. First take on everything, so there is some definite sloppiness. LOL

• Bass - Fender Highway One P-Bass - Direct into Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, into an ART Pro MPA II Tube Pre-Amp, into an ART Pro VLA II Tube Compressor
  • Mic - Shure SM-57 into the Focusrite Audio Interface and ART Tube Pre-Amp and Compressor
Did a basic mix in Logic Pro X. Added a little noise gate to the rhythm tracks. Recorded two rhythms, one with the S1 switch engaged and the other without it. One panned left and one right. The OD pedal on the rhythm tracks was the Fulltone Fulldrive II.

Added a Multipressor and a Subbass to fatten the bass. I haven't spent a lot of time working on the bass line, so that definitely needs work.

For the lead line, used the TS-808 for overdrive. FX added were a Match EQ with cut off above 10k, Compressor, Noise Gate and Reverb (Guitar Large Hall seemed to work best).

Lastly, I added an adaptive limiter to the stereo out track. When I listen to it in Logic Pro X, this adds a lot of life to the mix. What I don't know is when I select all the tracks and bounced them to create the .wav file, did it select the individual tracks only or did I get the stereo out and the effect that was added to it?

DP

Very clean DP...I dig the levels and tone. I especially respect that there is nothing hidden and speaks for it self, that is to say carries it self well. Not too saturated. Being a Macbook I assume we are hearing ambient true circuit and cab reproduction?

Very melodic as well. Thanks for sharing.

Respectfully, David ♫

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was great!! :yesway:

Your lead tone is prefect, very Satch like!!
The only thing I noticed is that coming out of your solo you really need to build it up more dramatically back into your main melodies.
Other than that it's prefect.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Thanks! Coming from you that is a great compliment my friend. Tenacia is Italian for Tenacity. There is quite a story behind this song and why it is named what it is. Thought you'd like a song with an Italian title considering your upcoming trip!

Nice!...oh yea I'm an honorary Italian now!
What's the back story (if you don't mind)?

Boink!

Reaction score
Great stuff. I could notice two things essentially.
1) The soloing seems evened out across the track, no build ups, and faster runs where one would "release" the tension before coming back to the original theme. It's all rock steady from beginning to the end which makes it a bit monotonous. But this is the first draft anyway so who cares, it's great :D

2) If it was me, which it isn't, but if it was, I'd water down the main theme phrasing just a bit. Start simple and then expand. So when you create tension, and that kind of stuff along the way of the track, when you make a complete circle so to speak (playing runs and phrasing) that simplified theme would then in turn become a relief and a welcomed change that would build up again.

Last edited:

dptone5

Reaction score
Great stuff. I could notice two things essentially.
1) The soloing seems evened out across the track, no build ups, and faster runs where one would "release" the tension before coming back to the original theme. It's all rock steady from beginning to the end which makes it a bit monotonous. But this is the first draft anyway so who cares, it's great :D

2) If it was me, which it isn't, but if it was, I'd water down the main theme phrasing just a bit. Start simple and then expand. So when you create tension, and that kind of stuff along the way of the track, when you make a complete circle so to speak (playing runs and phrasing) that simplified theme would then in turn become a relief and a welcomed change that would build up again.

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback sir. Really helpful. I will mess around to see what improvements I can make. I'm not a super speed player unfortunately and I make so many mistakes!! LOL

DP

dptone5

Reaction score
cool tune! Heres to many more. :cheers:

Thanks Australian. Really loving Logic Pro X. So much to learn. Wondering if I should sell my Lexicon M300 since I don't know if I will need an external delay/reverb with all the software options I have?? What do you think my friend?

DP

dptone5

Reaction score
Nice!...oh yea I'm an honorary Italian now!
What's the back story (if you don't mind)?

Hey my friend. I will PM you. Not ready to go public with the back story at this time, but hopeful that I will be able to soon. I appreciate you asking!

DP

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Australian. Really loving Logic Pro X. So much to learn. Wondering if I should sell my Lexicon M300 since I don't know if I will need an external delay/reverb with all the software options I have?? What do you think my friend?

DP

Well I used to use some outboard racks like the Lexicon PCM 80 through my DAW, but these days plugins are so good I won't do that again. Its more convenient to just have everything come up with all the proper settings saved within your DAW.
I'm liking Logic Pro too. Have you used the Space Designer reverb in Logic much?

dptone5

Reaction score
Well I used to use some outboard racks like the Lexicon PCM 80 through my DAW, but these days plugins are so good I won't do that again. Its more convenient to just have everything come up with all the proper settings saved within your DAW.
I'm liking Logic Pro too. Have you used the Space Designer reverb in Logic much?

Yes I have. That is the reverb I am using on the lead on this track.

Blacksoulpreacher

Reaction score
Friends,

DP

Blacksoulpreacher

Reaction score
I like it. Nice groove, melodic and the Harmonic minor lick is a nice ear grabber. I would agree with others that the soloing is a little "flat" in terms of energy / dynamics some nice licks though.
Nice classic Marshall tones...