New York City

• Thread starter Feeling Supersonic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
So I went to New York City for 5 nights.

Full of foreigners - literally spoke to about 4 actual Americans on the entire trip. Even the guy that checked me into the country wasn't American.
"Why you come USA?" [accent of a Chinaman] in a really rude and miserable attitude.

I felt like saying, "why the **** are you here more to the point, you can't even speak English properly you fat Samoan ****!"

"who you come with?" ..... shut up mate.

But anyway.

I'll never go back.

Did:
- Central park [went to the John Lennon memorial]
- Empire State building
- Grand central station
- Ground Zero
- Statue of Liberty
- Times Square [visited Rudy's guitar shop and a few others nearby]
- Rockefeller [top of the rock]
- Wall Street [God knows why]
- Little Italy
- Chinatown

Went to Macy's, Niketown, the Apple store and some other dreadful places too.

Overall I just thought it was way too foreign - every American Diner is just pure Mexicans that can barely understand the English language. Even the Steakhouses have no American staff - mostly Romanian that are difficult to understand.

As for taxi drivers, they barely speak English and don't have a clue where they're going. Bizarre.

The general atmosphere of the place is of an attitude I dislike. Not very warming at all and mostly rude people.

I detest the tipping culture too. People asking for tips and pointing that out too when picking up the bill.

The buildings are underwhelming too. The Empire State building is just a bit mundane like most of them. I like the Freedom tower though.

I loved watching a few games out there though and getting some Buffalo wings and grabbing a bud light at the bar etc. I liked that part.
Pretty much the only time American people were around.

It was nice to visit some famous spots and get photos and absorb the busyness of the city and yellow cabs and stuff though.

The Brooklyn bridge I didn't go to, nor Broadway - but I can't imagine it'd enthuse me too much.

I got up at 7am most days and went to bed at 4am after heavy drinking :D
I'd like to think I got the most out of trip experiences both the daytime and the nightlife to a full extent.

I like the rooftop bars and went to a cool bar 34 floors up and seeing the sights was cool.

The food was decent, especially in Little Italy and a some diners and smaller places we visited.

It was nice being piloted back to England by an English pilot :D

I could never live in a city like that.

Going with 6 friends was so much though, it was one of the best trips I've been on for that reason. So much funny stuff happened.

:ugh:

I really want to go back to America, but perhaps elsewhere like Colorado maybe or Montana and go camping or on a roadtrip for a month or two.
NY can suck a big one.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
America is founded on immigration......This is the result:wave:

True.

Although, I find it hard to even regard New York as American at all.

Maybe that's what cities of the world have become. Very alien and bizarre melting pots where there's no identity at all really.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
I witnessed a lot of racism and antisemitism in the city too.

Many comments from American that hated black people and Jews.

That was walking through Times Square mainly.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sounds like culture shock...

NY is a unique place, that's for sure. I'd imagine if you had a local friend as a guide, it might have been a bit more enjoyable. Kind of like in the Friends W/ Benefits movie. (watch it, now you've been there).

Each place you visit in the US will have it's good points, as well as it's challenges. The hope is that, when you go there, the good things outweigh the challenges. Helps to have a good plan, but getting a good plan w/o real life experience on the place is difficult - you're at the hands of whoever you put your trust in to guide you about...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
True.

Although, I find it hard to even regard New York as American at all.

Maybe that's what cities of the world have become. Very alien and bizarre melting pots where there's no identity at all really.
While the idea of America is the melting pot, what you see is that people do not want to melt into the pot. If it truly was a melting pot, we wouldn't have segregated societies, such as lil' Italy, Chinatown, etc. You wouldn't have all these "ethnic" districts. It really is a shame that we all just can't be Americans, but we all have to have a hyphenated-American segregationist outlook.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
Sounds like culture shock...

NY is a unique place, that's for sure. I'd imagine if you had a local friend as a guide, it might have been a bit more enjoyable. Kind of like in the Friends W/ Benefits movie. (watch it, now you've been there).

Each place you visit in the US will have it's good points, as well as it's challenges. The hope is that, when you go there, the good things outweigh the challenges. Helps to have a good plan, but getting a good plan w/o real life experience on the place is difficult - you're at the hands of whoever you put your trust in to guide you about...

Maybe cities are not my thing.

I at least thought it would be more American in terms of the people, that's all.

I know all cities and countries encourage immigration, and I'm not fully against that, but it seems to have got a bit out of hand, to the point you can't tell where you are.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
While the idea of America is the melting pot, what you see is that people do not want to melt into the pot. If it truly was a melting pot, we wouldn't have segregated societies, such as lil' Italy, Chinatown, etc. You wouldn't have all these "ethnic" districts. It really is a shame that we all just can't be Americans, but we all have to have a hyphenated-American segregationist outlook.

I've been to London a lot, and I can say they are similar with regards to its 'foreignness' - but NY took the cake.

Feeling Supersonic

Reaction score
Next time come to Colorado, and bring your guitar. We won't be drinking that bud light crap though. :cool:

I had a few pints of it. Not my thing.

I mostly drank Samuel Adams, Guiness and a few others. I'm a red wine drinker too. :D

I like something there called a 'purple haze' ever tried it? - made with a raspberry some or rather.

I liked the Brooklyn Lager too.

Many bourbon hiballs were drank too.

4Horseman

Reaction score
I had a few pints of it. Not my thing.

I mostly drank Samuel Adams, Guiness and a few others. I'm a red wine drinker too. :D

I like something there called a 'purple haze' ever tried it? - made with a raspberry some or rather.

I liked the Brooklyn Lager too.

Many bourbon hiballs were drank too.
Never heard of the purple haze, unless you mean herb.

levelx43

Reaction score
Hey Supersonic, you're making me miss being back in New Jersey and having NYC a stones throw away!
When you come back, get to Colorado and at all costs AVOID Cheyenne Wyoming! It sucks!

Swede

Reaction score
Hey Supersonic, you're making me miss being back in New Jersey and having NYC a stones throw away!
When you come back, get to Colorado and at all costs AVOID Cheyenne Wyoming! It sucks!

Ive driven through Wyoming a bunch of times on way back and forth between Rapid City SD....

Its a very....Uh! Empty state:ugh::hmm:

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
LOL I hear you Super, now imagine working there every day..It can be a great place if you have a local guide like Dogs suggested, you shoulda hit up Crossroads, he lives in da city. I hated it at first but the place kinda grows on you like a fungus. I work pretty close to the Empire Sate Building, LOTS of hot girls close by,and almost all the hot ones aren't speaking English. Parks come alive with HOTT girls everywhere in a few weeks.

It's been a crappy long cold Winter this year, everyone is cranky and at their wit's end.

Hit NYC in Spring and Fall.........

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
Sounds like you've been to Amsterdam.
People always speak or reply in broken English. Sometimes in broken Dutch (which might be worse)
To which I will always reply: Spreek Nederlands, LUL! (Speak Dutch, DICK!)

Gr,

Gerrit.

*Anyway, New York is actually New Amsterdam so that might explain :D

Latest posts