NGD: ‘73 Gibson SG Standard

• Thread starter bullhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dioesque

Reaction score
Check out an Angus Young sig SG. It's pretty much the same color, and Gibson calls it "aged cherry".
After a little Googling, I’m seeing “heritage cherry” a lot. Where does that fit in?

Of the OP’s two pictured SGs, which (if either) might be “heritage cherry”?

RLW59

Reaction score
After a little Googling, I’m seeing “heritage cherry” a lot. Where does that fit in?

Of the OP’s two pictured SGs, which (if either) might be “heritage cherry”?
Edit: I thought I knew what I was talking about but some research suggests it's much less consistent than I thought.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Right now I'm seeing Heritage Cherry and Vintage Cherry. Obviously there were more colors over the years, many of which have been discontinued. Some of those were probably some other version of red as well. Looks like the Vintage Cherry is the "darker" one.

Sweetwater's SG lineup...

Dave_11

Reaction score
Here's one of the Angus sig SGs in Aged Cherry
It looks darker than the Vintage Cherry models, and more like the darker red 70s SGs.

bullhead

Reaction score
What pickups in the '73?
Hey, sorry I’ve been out of communication for a bit. That’s a good question. When I checked the pups I didn’t see anything except the Gibson logo. They do sound different than the ‘61 Reissue so I’m curious as well. They’re a bit more aggressive with a bite to them that the ‘61 doesn’t quite have. I’ll pull everything out eventually and see if I can find out.

Straydog

Reaction score
Your wife is an angel! Back in the day I bought a 1973 Walnut SG Standard new. I believe mine had Tarback pickups but it didn't matter to me because it sounded great. It cost me a around $350 with a case IIRC. Life got in the way and I eventually had to sell it. I still miss that guitar. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

gs175

Reaction score
What a wonderful present! You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that guitar. Thanks very much for posting the picture too! It brings back memories. I actually had one of those a long, long time ago. It was my first real Gibson. I bought it new when I was a teenager, after working untold hours pumping gas after school for $2.00 an hour, which was the minimum wage back then. It was a great guitar. I wish I had kept it. The fact that the neck is not quite as extended as the 61 style definitely has its advantages.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great wife, she’s a keeper, but you already know that!

Congrats man, sweet looking vintage SG, and an extra special guitar being a 50th birthday gift from your better half! Lol.

I know a little about that, about 17 years ago my wife bought me a new 2006 Gibson LP Studio PP top for my 50th birthday!

Here’s a pic of it stock,…

The gold hardware and natural finish together were a bit too blingy for my taste though. Here it is after a pickup change and a hardware change to nickel,…

Enjoy the hell out of that guitar man!

Latest posts