• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NGD! Gibby V with ebony board!

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
HNGD! Looks just like my ‘07- my last Ebony and my last alpine to go.

I have since made due with the ‘15 Japan Market here, which is supposed to be the closest thing to “my spec” (true ‘75-82’ Norlin), but there are a few things out of spec, leaving things I prefer with this “replacement” and things I miss about the ‘07 like yours.

1722914079888.jpeg

While Norlins never had ebony, those 40+ year rosewoods sure look the part now… except this one had a beautifully figured but terribly-colored Granadilla I dyed and will probably never be fully satisfied with. The ‘67 RI like yours has the SECOND best Gibson neck IMO, next to the Super slim Norlin. However this has a wide flatter board that bugs me, being off-spec and less comfortable to me than both the Norlin and the ‘67 RI. And while I do not care for the black face on ‘67s arrowhead HS as much as the wide spearheads with color-matched face the Norlins had, Mine (the AW version) has that incorrect black face and a stupid pygmy TRC (I replaced).

So, I much prefer my JM’s thinner body with protruding FB as well as the spearhead HS shape with volute, but I much prefer that ‘67 neck profile, the ebony board, and accept the black face as “correct” on that ‘67 where it’s just wrong and goofy looking to me on my JM.

Enjoy it. The AWs are the special ones in the ‘67 line. If I wasn’t such a sucker for Norlins, I’d still be sick over missing mine, but notwithstanding my prefs, the ‘67 is such a well-designed guitar. Now, to choose between grabbing this AW JM tonight or the last remaining ‘67 of mine in tribute to the one that got away.

Adrian R

Reaction score

I have since made due with the ‘15 Japan Market here, which is supposed to be the closest thing to “my spec” (true ‘75-82’ Norlin), but there are a few things out of spec, leaving things I prefer with this “replacement” and things I miss about the ‘07 like yours.

View attachment 155596

While Norlins never had ebony, those 40+ year rosewoods sure look the part now… except this one had a beautifully figured but terribly-colored Granadilla I dyed and will probably never be fully satisfied with. The ‘67 RI like yours has the SECOND best Gibson neck IMO, next to the Super slim Norlin. However this has a wide flatter board that bugs me, being off-spec and less comfortable to me than both the Norlin and the ‘67 RI. And while I do not care for the black face on ‘67s arrowhead HS as much as the wide spearheads with color-matched face the Norlins had, Mine (the AW version) has that incorrect black face and a stupid pygmy TRC (I replaced).

So, I much prefer my JM’s thinner body with protruding FB as well as the spearhead HS shape with volute, but I much prefer that ‘67 neck profile, the ebony board, and accept the black face as “correct” on that ‘67 where it’s just wrong and goofy looking to me on my JM.

Enjoy it. The AWs are the special ones in the ‘67 line. If I wasn’t such a sucker for Norlins, I’d still be sick over missing mine, but notwithstanding my prefs, the ‘67 is such a well-designed guitar. Now, to choose between grabbing this AW JM tonight or the last remaining ‘67 of mine in tribute to the one that got away.

View attachment 155596

This one I just purchased is a 2006 model. I once owned a 2001 AW model just like this that I traded an ill sounding 2012 SG Standard for, I used the guitar for about 4 years, and then got on a LP crazy train... I sold a couple Vs and replaced them with LPs... Stupid move it was. Although LPs are great, they're quite ubiquitous and heavy...The Vs are not quite as common, especially the 67's AWs with the ebony board. The ebony board really makes them stand out from the 67' crowed with a brighter, more distinct tone...with a nice snap using higher output, PAF style pickups and 500k pots.

I tried once again buying another 67 AW with the ebony board...circa 2020/1. Covid was really getting started and the prices went to insane, stupid prices...nearly 3x what they were selling for before that *I have free money to blow* period.. F that... I was pissed! So, I have been patiently waiting for the right deal to come around again...and sure enough as expected, once showed up locally for only a few hundred dollars more then I sold mine for.

Incidentally, I am watching a 1988 2204 and the price keeps coming down...as soon as it reaches what I believe is a *fair* price I will snatch that up too. I had a 1989 2204 for several years back in 2010 era...I was the loudest 2204 I'd ever heard. Been waiting for another to show up again.

BTW, on Reverb now there are several 67 RIs AW with the ebony board, but they want over 3k for them plus big money shipping.

They can suck on that! Greedy bastards!

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
BTW, on Reverb now there are several 67 RIs AW with the ebony board, but they want over 3k for them plus big money shipping.

They can suck on that! Greedy bastards!

Yes, it is insane to say the least, but the Gibson “70s V” (a piece of shit by comparison to a ‘67 RI) and that ‘80s V sell for $2500+ tax. I sold my ‘67 for like $1,350 pre-pandemic. There is a POS MIC Kirk Hammet epi V in purple (w paint chips) on clearance for $1,250 at my GC.

Gibson is making the business move to fuck the consumer out of a working man’s instrument (to be a “premium” brand) and the used market is finally facing the downturn to prepare to correct them on the secondhand market.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Yes, it is insane to say the least, but the Gibson “70s V” (a piece of shit by comparison to a ‘67 RI) and that ‘80s V sell for $2500+ tax. I sold my ‘67 for like $1,350 pre-pandemic. There is a POS MIC Kirk Hammet epi V in purple (w paint chips) on clearance for $1,250 at my GC.

Gibson is making the business move to fuck the consumer out of a working man’s instrument (to be a “premium” brand) and the used market is finally facing the downturn to prepare to correct them on the secondhand market.
You are referring to the new 70s RI models, correct?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nice axe!

img_20240805_194607-jpg.155591

V-man

Reaction score
You are referring to the new 70s RI models, correct?
Reissue, my ass. Even Gibson didn’t have the balls to piss on our leg and tell us it’s raining by calling it that. It’s called the ‘70s V despite being a wonky-AF built-‘67RI…

…that they somehow think is worth a LP Custom (which they now think is worth a Historic, which they now think is worth…)

Adrian R

Reaction score
Reissue, my ass. Even Gibson didn’t have the balls to piss on our leg and tell us it’s raining by calling it that. It’s called the ‘70s V despite being a wonky-AF built-‘67RI…

…that they somehow think is worth a LP Custom (which they now think is worth a Historic, which they now think is worth…)
I had one. A 2021. Actually sounded good, but the paint at neck/body joint was sparse...and I couldn't get any neck relief using lighter string gauges. Sold it to finance this guitar.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I had one. A 2021. Actually sounded good, but the paint at neck/body joint was sparse...and I couldn't get any neck relief using lighter string gauges. Sold it to finance this guitar.

I wasn’t joking about wonky-AF-build.

I bitched for a couple of years how these were ‘67 ripoffs with no lineage whatsoever to the true Norlins. Some time later someone pointed out there was in fact a raised FB shelf done on these “70s Vs”

Well, I finally played the KH Epi on clearance the other day. Granted, it’s MIC with the spearhead HS and volute compared to the MIA “70s V” with incorrect arrowhead HS, but I am convinced the neck/body area we are discussing are one and the same.

Neck profile was decent and it had “something” of a raised FB shelf stylistic to the Norlins. Soon after, I noticed the incongruity. The FB shelf was raised in the style of the ‘70s BUT it had the full chunky ‘67 RI body, which made it absurdly heavy for a V (likely MIC wood selection too).

But more important to this is the riddle: HTF do you have the full thick ‘67 RI body AND the raised FB shelf together??? The true Norlins had the high FB shelf on an SG-thin body, making the FB clearance no higher than a ‘67 RI with thick body and ultra-thin FB shelf. Something has to give on that design and the result has to be both a super awkward neck joint and ridiculously high fb relative to the hand. It’s just all kind of wrong.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Happy NGD!! That is a great looking guitar!

I recently had to sell my black '67 reissue regarding a plumbing catastrophe that costed almost $3k. I'm not happy about about having to sell it but sometimes priorities dictate letting stuff go.

On the plus side, I still own a black 1984 Gibson V as well as a white 1982 V.

I noticed the white '67 RI's seem high. Don't know what they are actually changing hands for dollar wise. The white '67 RI's were one of the only ways to get an ebony board on one. The vast majority of the 67 RI's were rosewood.

I wished you could still get a tobacco burst '67 RI. Hard to find these days...

I know the v98 gothic had an ebony board but otherwise ebony boards were few and far between. The v98 is spec'd differently than the '67 RI of course.

The voodoo flying v which I drool over constantly had an ebony board as well. They are rare though. I've never seen one in person and they bring some change.

The faded V with the crescent moon inlays was also an ebony board as well.

Enjoy it! I love those guitars. I'd love to have a room full of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts