NMD: Lead 12 .... best bedroom plexi!

• Thread starter Maggot Brain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
Been away from this forum for a long time, but got an e-mail with this thread in it. Apparently, it's blowin' up.

And I own a Lead 12 Microstack too.

Wanna do some amp p0rn? Maybe later. I'd like to take up-to-date pictures, not the ones from several years ago. But for now, let's just say I got this stack from a bass player who had it in his closet. Sold it to me for $250. Insides stunk of cigarette smoke. Disgusting. LOTS of Lysol and Febreez later and tons of wiping down the inside of the cabinets and I can STILL sometimes smell it if I get right up to it. But otherwise, tolex is in brilliant condition, no tears, no gouges. Grillecloth looks relatively clean and completely undamaged. Came with the original Celestion G10D-25 speakers, but they're top-heavy and harsh. I'd call them shrill.

I bought a pair of Celestion G10 Vintage speakers and put them in there. I also did a really crappy A/B test with the two cabinets. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the microphone recording is/went. So all I have is the original Sony camera recording. But it's here.

I also added speaker cabinet badge holders (which required me to add a wooden wedge UNDERNEATH the grillecloth on the angled cab so the badge holder would lay flat. I then contracted out a job to a metal sign company that made me two small badges for the speaker cabinets and a brand-new brushed-metal gold aluminium faceplate (that just BARELY fit - had to file out one side of the power switch). I also replaced the smooth curved red power switch for an older, angled, vintage-style one to complete the look. The faceplate looks like something off of a 100-watt modern Marshall amp. The cabinets are badged "LEAD 12 - Vintage" to reflect the speakers installed.

The speakers and metal plates and everything totalled cost me around $500 for a grand total of around $750 for the whole thing. Yeah, it's a lot. But it's also probably the ONLY Lead 12 Microstack that looks like this and possibly the only one that sounds like this as well. Most people ignore the G10 Vintage. It IS awfully mid-heavy, after all. Plus, it makes it so the Bass knob doesn't do ANYTHING to the perceived sound until it's rolled all the way back to 2 (8-oclock).

It's awfully late already today - had a busy day at work and just want to go to bed. Maybe in the next few days, I'll take some pictures of the amp and stuff if you guys want.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Been away from this forum for a long time, but got an e-mail with this thread in it. Apparently, it's blowin' up.

And I own a Lead 12 Microstack too.

Wanna do some amp p0rn? Maybe later. I'd like to take up-to-date pictures, not the ones from several years ago. But for now, let's just say I got this stack from a bass player who had it in his closet. Sold it to me for $250. Insides stunk of cigarette smoke. Disgusting. LOTS of Lysol and Febreez later and tons of wiping down the inside of the cabinets and I can STILL sometimes smell it if I get right up to it. But otherwise, tolex is in brilliant condition, no tears, no gouges. Grillecloth looks relatively clean and completely undamaged. Came with the original Celestion G10D-25 speakers, but they're top-heavy and harsh. I'd call them shrill.

I bought a pair of Celestion G10 Vintage speakers and put them in there. I also did a really crappy A/B test with the two cabinets. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where the microphone recording is/went. So all I have is the original Sony camera recording. But it's here.

I also added speaker cabinet badge holders (which required me to add a wooden wedge UNDERNEATH the grillecloth on the angled cab so the badge holder would lay flat. I then contracted out a job to a metal sign company that made me two small badges for the speaker cabinets and a brand-new brushed-metal gold aluminium faceplate (that just BARELY fit - had to file out one side of the power switch). I also replaced the smooth curved red power switch for an older, angled, vintage-style one to complete the look. The faceplate looks like something off of a 100-watt modern Marshall amp. The cabinets are badged "LEAD 12 - Vintage" to reflect the speakers installed.

The speakers and metal plates and everything totalled cost me around $500 for a grand total of around $750 for the whole thing. Yeah, it's a lot. But it's also probably the ONLY Lead 12 Microstack that looks like this and possibly the only one that sounds like this as well. Most people ignore the G10 Vintage. It IS awfully mid-heavy, after all. Plus, it makes it so the Bass knob doesn't do ANYTHING to the perceived sound until it's rolled all the way back to 2 (8-oclock).

It's awfully late already today - had a busy day at work and just want to go to bed. Maybe in the next few days, I'll take some pictures of the amp and stuff if you guys want.

Thanks for sharing man! Cool clip but you gotta crank it to get the convincing tone, I wanna hear both cabs pushed! I don't think I've found a clip of the G10 Vintage, I'd love to hear those speakers being pushed hard.

My next gear purchase will be a Lead 12 stack, I just have to have one now. I love this little combo with all my heart and the thought of a stack just gets my adrenaline pumping.

Some years ago I had the opportunity to buy a PRESTINE factory red tolex Lead 12 stack for $300. I had heard about them being cool but I just figured they were glorified solid state practice amps (they are) but I didn't realize how good they can sound... So, I won't be satisfied until I hunt down a red stack... Well... If this thread hasn't priced me out of the market. I'm kinda regretting starting this thread haha I didn't expect it to blow up like this... Next time I find cool gear I'm keeping my mouth shut.

cccc

Reaction score
The true ultimate Plexi practice amp is the 50th anniversary JMP 1 watt model . Now if only Marshall would develop a clue and realize that millions of Marshall fans want these 50th anniversary editions to be year round stock items . They would sell 3 X as many of these models as they would the SV and SC studio 20 watt versions because those 20 watters cost a fortune and they are way way too loud for bedroom jamming so now you need to buy a quality attenuator on top of the close to 2K base price.

If Marshall made the 50th anniversary 1 watters a year round stock item they would cost half of what the SV 20 and SC 20 cost WITHOUT needing to spend more on an attenuator and many use these 1 watters to plug into much larger cabs.

With the way the world is now with more people than ever getting crammed into smaller and smaller spaces all tube 1 watters that sound just like their much more powerful siblings are what the majority want.

These models are LOUD as hell for a 1 watt but you can take it down to like a half watt and still not loose any of the incredible tone. The studio 20 watters even at 5 watts are way way too loud.

The current DSL 1 watt sucks by comparison .

Now enough of the praise you want to see if what I'm saying is for real . Listen for yourself , the tone that these 1 watters get instantly nullifies the naysayers criticism of them . Now the first half of the video is the JMP 1 watt , the second half of video is the JCM 800 1 watt .

Crank it up !!!

Kyusha

Reaction score
The true ultimate Plexi practice amp is the 50th anniversary JMP 1 watt model . Now if only Marshall would develop a clue and realize that millions of Marshall fans want these 50th anniversary editions to be year round stock items . They would sell 3 X as many of these models as they would the SV and SC studio 20 watt versions because those 20 watters cost a fortune and they are way way too loud for bedroom jamming so now you need to buy a quality attenuator on top of the close to 2K base price.

If Marshall made the 50th anniversary 1 watters a year round stock item they would cost half of what the SV 20 and SC 20 cost WITHOUT needing to spend more on an attenuator and many use these 1 watters to plug into much larger cabs.

With the way the world is now with more people than ever getting crammed into smaller and smaller spaces all tube 1 watters that sound just like their much more powerful siblings are what the majority want.

These models are LOUD as hell for a 1 watt but you can take it down to like a half watt and still not loose any of the incredible tone. The studio 20 watters even at 5 watts are way way too loud.

Now enough of the praise you want to see if what I'm saying is for real . Listen for yourself , the tone that these 1 watters get instantly nullifies the naysayers criticism of them . Now the first half of the video is the JMP 1 watt , the second half of video is the JCM 800 1 watt .

Crank it up !!!

i still cant understand why out of all amps they decided to put the dsl1 in production and not the jcm1

Maggot Brain

Reaction score

Crank it up !!!

I agree 10000000000%

Marshall is stupid for not making the 1 watters a production model. I have no doubt they would sell like crazy and possibly be Marshall's most popular amp line in this day and age. I would even bet that a majority would buy multiple if not all the models (JTM, JMP, JCM)... I know I would!

I've been wanting one since they first released and recently I almost bought one over the SV20h but honestly it was hard to justify (for me) a $1,200+ 1 watt amp... I've lost all interest in the SV20 so probably would have been the better purchase for me.

Still can't believe Marshall isn't listening to their customers, frankly modern Marshall as a company annoys me more than excites me.

chocopopz

Reaction score
Lead 12, best bedroom amp ? It certainly sounds very good according to the vids, and I wish I had one. But I immediately stop gasin' when I turn my 1-watter JCM800 Lead Series on (output to a 4x12 G12T75). Full valves. It's a godsend: at bedroom level, just damned killer, especially with Gibson LPs. Will go to the grave with me. JTM1H is a close runner up.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I agree 10000000000%

Marshall is stupid for not making the 1 watters a production model. I have no doubt they would sell like crazy and possibly be Marshall's most popular amp line in this day and age. I would even bet that a majority would buy multiple if not all the models (JTM, JMP, JCM)... I know I would!

I've been wanting one since they first released and recently I almost bought one over the SV20h but honestly it was hard to justify (for me) a $1,200+ 1 watt amp... I've lost all interest in the SV20 so probably would have been the better purchase for me.

Still can't believe Marshall isn't listening to their customers, frankly modern Marshall as a company annoys me more than excites me.
To be fair, many were clamoring for a lower wattage JCM800 etc. So we have 3 x 5/20 watt models that work for a good number of users. To me, that is listening to the customer base.
I have no use personally for an expensive 1 watt amp while some do. But for that price?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
What is it that you like more about the Lead12 than the SV20?

Is the SV20 too thin sounding for Hendrix stuff?

Im usually against snipping brightcaps on 2203/1959/JTM type of circuits since im more
of an AC/DC sound guy, but in your case it
may be beneficial to alter the value of it or
removing it.

coverboyband.com

Reaction score
Thanks!
I found the chassis only on Reverb for about $100.
No clue what the PO did with the combo cab.
Made the head shell to the same spec as a Class5H.
Try an A/B/Y on your inputs.
I have one set up on my 5002 Lead20. (little pedal on the left)
Switch from High to Low input with a toe tap - or run the Y for both at the same time.
I prefer the blend. :yesway:
View attachment 113140
Where did you ever come up with that aftermarket’ head shell for the lead 20? I have one that I’ve always wanted to install in a head shell.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you ever come up with that aftermarket’ head shell for the lead 20? I have one that I’ve always wanted to install in a head shell.
:welcome:to the forum.
One of my hobbies...

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
OK, well I should start a new thread as NAD, but I think there are pertinent things that shoud be mentioned here. Here it is, just what I was looking for - A Reverb 12 :) It's a 1989, same year as my Lead 12. Sorry, I didn't take a pic of them together just yet.

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSCu6VSGEb7ovEVX4jE246Cm4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

I did a quick comparison last night. The Reverb 12 does not seem as powerful and beefy as my Lead 12, somewhat subdued. I don't know if that's normal or not. However, what a sweet freakin' tone! The reverb is good, not great, but it works for me. I also noticed that the Lead 12 is 8 ohms and the Reverb 12 is 16 ohms. Hmmmm. I wasn't expecting to see that. Same speakers, the G10D-25. I am way more familar with tube amps and their behavior, but what maintenance can be done with these amps? New caps, etc?? How do you even know? Just curious.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also noticed that the Lead 12 is 8 ohms and the Reverb 12 is 16 ohms. Hmmmm.
Is that just the speaker, or does the spec label on the back of the amp say 16-ohm?
The amps outputpower is altered by the load
impedance of the speaker.
If the amp is spec'd for 12w @ 8-ohm, the 16-ohm speaker would throttle down the output to about 8.4w

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Is that just the speaker, or does the spec label on the back of the amp say 16-ohm?

If the amp is spec'd for 12w @ 8-ohm, the 16-ohm speaker would throttle down the output to about 8.4w

Hi @fitz I checked both speaker and spec for both amps and they match - Lead 12 is 8 ohms, Reverb 12 is 16 ohms.

Good. That makes sense then. Now I don't have to worry about the Reverb 12 sounding more subdued. Thanks!