• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

No sound coming out

• Thread starter htaylor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

htaylor

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished Kerry King and love it but the other day I turned on the amp and just as sound started coming out it faded away and now I have no sound. The amp switches on and I can see the tubes glow. There are two fuses in a hidden slot just under the electical plug. Are there other fuses I can check and change if needed?

Adwex

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished Kerry King and love it but the other day I turned on the amp and just as sound started coming out it faded away and now I have no sound. The amp switches on and I can see the tubes glow. There are two fuses in a hidden slot just under the electical plug. Are there other fuses I can check and change if needed?
Check the HT fuse. A bad tube could be the culprit.

htaylor

Reaction score
I don't know what the HT fuse is. Is there a diagram/document that points these things out?

Neylus

Reaction score
I don't know what the HT fuse is. Is there a diagram/document that points these things out?

I don't have the amp but at the back (no need to open the amp an nothing...) you must see two things called the FUSES. Just check them, the HT one could be blown.

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
If you dont know that,take it to a tech!

Come on man, he can check the fuses without any problem.

I had the same (or similar issue) with my 2205 amp and all I had to do was reseat the fuses.

1. disconnect the power cord
2. switch on/off the amp once or twice
3. turn the amp around
4. locate the plastic below the power input (mains input)
5. pull it out (it's like a drawer)

There are 2 fuses there.
You can take those out without problem.
Check if the filament of the fuses are intact. (if not, they need replacement)
If the fuses still look good, simply put them back and reseat the fuses.

Try the amp again.

I also want to say that, sound fading away can be caused by tubes that have gone bad.

htaylor

Reaction score
Thank you for pinpointing the location of the HT fuse for me. I did see those fuses and checked them and they "appear" to be fine.

I would say I probably have a bad tube.

Thanks.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a multimeter, check the fuses for continuity on the ohms setting. Sometimes you can't tell that they are bad just looking at them. If you don't have a meter, go to RadioShack and buy the fuses you need for a buck or two and replace them. It doesn't sound like a blown tube. If the sound just faded away like when you turn the amp off then hopefully it's just the HT fuse. It's the one that handles the high voltage (or High Tension = HT) in the circuit. The other fuse will make all the lights come on, make the tubes glow, etc. but it's essentially the same as leaving your amp on standby.

You can safely power up your amp without the power tubes installed, and it might be a good idea to do this after you replace the fuse. If nothing blows, turn it off and put the power tubes back in. If the fuse blows after putting the tubes in, you can either throw a new set in it or take it to a tech. You don't need to try to use it if it keeps blowing that fuse.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
If you have a multimeter, check the fuses for continuity on the ohms setting. Sometimes you can't tell that they are bad just looking at them. If you don't have a meter, go to RadioShack and buy the fuses you need for a buck or two and replace them. It doesn't sound like a blown tube. If the sound just faded away like when you turn the amp off then hopefully it's just the HT fuse. It's the one that handles the high voltage (or High Tension = HT) in the circuit. The other fuse will make all the lights come on, make the tubes glow, etc. but it's essentially the same as leaving your amp on standby.

You can safely power up your amp without the power tubes installed, and it might be a good idea to do this after you replace the fuse. If nothing blows, turn it off and put the power tubes back in. If the fuse blows after putting the tubes in, you can either throw a new set in it or take it to a tech. You don't need to try to use it if it keeps blowing that fuse.

... and while you are at Radio Shack it would be a good idea buy a cheap multimeter for about $10 if you don't have one. While you won't be doing any analytical troubleshooting with it, it will help in things like this. If you learn a few things about it you can make more use of the meter as well, but I wouldn't be poking around in an amp with it if you don't know what you are doing.

David

KISS NATION

Reaction score
does this mean that marshall amps aren't the bomb proof best in the world amps we have all been led to believe that they are?
I too have had problems with my marshall amp which also happens to be my first ever marshall amp after playing the guitar for 7 years.
I only recently got back in to playing after not playing for 2 years after being given a wesley stealth dragon, getting the guitar for free allowed me to spend my money buying my first marshall amp and I must say I am a little disappointed with the quality. a good guitar, pedals, leads running through a marshall amp should be a match made in heaven, when everything works that is.

KISS NATION

Reaction score
does this mean that marshall amps aren't the bomb proof best in the world amps that we have all been led to believe they are?

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
does this mean that marshall amps aren't the bomb proof best in the world amps that we have all been led to believe they are?
Ok I'm not gonna call you a troll but really thats a somewhat silly thing to say. If it is a fuse it's done it's job. Tubes do not last forever.

If you can't live with this, maybe you need to look at something solid state.:D

Ken

Reaction score

What led you to think they were "bomb proof"??

Marshalls are well made, but like most Italian sports cars, some models have known weaknesses. If you can't deal with simple and routine maintenance, I agree with Soulcaster: buy a SS amp.

Ken

KISS NATION

Reaction score
I'm not a troll, I'm just asking a simple question.
if marshall amps are supposed to be the best in the world, why do so many of them break down? I'm not just talking about blown fuses and tubes, I just mean in general.
but if certain models have known faults and weaknesses on them, why have they never been put right?
I am not by any means trying to drag the name marshall down, I have just got my first marshall amp (MG30DFX) and I couldn't be happier, that is until the volume control adapts a mind of it's own without warning.
a good quality valve amp it is not, but it's what I could afford and when the volume control behaves it is perfectly fine for me.
I could have bought an expensive valve amp right off the bat but I thought that might be a bit silly for practising at home.
I didn't mean for my comments to cause offence.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Well I think generic statements like "why do so many break down" might get people going. Look at the sheer number of Marshall amps out there and the amount of use. Tubes die, pots get dirty, beers get spilt, etc. Many products develop weaknesses in the field for some units but they're not all prone to it. We usually hear about the bad more than the good! You're bound to hear about it especially on a forum when people are asking for help. Try to get the Marshall tone from some other perhaps lesser type and remember that tone is a huge part of the Marshall equation!
Cheers!

KISS NATION

Reaction score
I don't want to try and get the marshall tone from another amp.
I wanted a marshall which is why I bought one.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
There is a reason that tube amps are pretty much the only things you can buy anymore with this technology. They CAN'T be as reliable as SS. You have to give up some of that when you are going with technology that is a old as in a tube amp.

I'll live with it any day to get the better sound. (And it's not that bad either)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I agree, what I'm saying is Marshall makes great product with distinctive tones, you will likely find the same number of issues or more with most other amps, you also won't get that Marshall tone. There's a bum unit with everything, not sure why you're having volume control issues. Perhaps the volume pot needs a cleaning or who knows..? I've had no problems other than maintenance with my Marshalls since 1983...

KISS NATION

Reaction score
could there be dust in the volume pot?
as I said before, I thought it was a problem with the internal connection.