Non-Classic Rock Marshall Fans.

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
We have a chick singer so my stuff is all around that. Mostly '80s pop, some Def Leppard, Motels, new pop, country, '50s, '60s, '70s, some ..."Classic Rock". I use a JVM410H Satriani and the 4 channels are mandatory. 1, 2, 3, channels? Nope, just can't do it.

1 (Cutting-edge Clean)
Channel 1 mode orange with just enough gain to give the sound a bit of bite. "Clean" clean sounds way too sterile to me.

2) (Tom Petty Jangle)
Channel 2 ..forgot the rest. Oops.

3) (Zep Crunch)
My main tone is channel 3 mode green and I use about enough distortion there so that it's just breaking into it - gain between 10 and 11 o'clock.

4) (Journey Lead)
My lead is channel 4 mode orange, and since on the Satriani version the 4th channel is a repeat of the 3rd, the gain sits like my "crunch" in adjustment but has the perfect amount of distortion for "hot" leads. I only go there about twice a night. (am I a pussy for this??)

Sometimes I use "4" as rhythm for the "heaviest" sound; like "Save a Horse".

There is nothing I can't do with the amp and these settings.

Short answer to OP: Yes

Last edited:

BenjaminW

Reaction score
My 2203 by itself is as classic rock as it gets. Throw in an OD, and it sounds great for anything hard rock or metal. I would be interested in getting it modded to get some higher gain since I have a soft spot for that Gary Moore type tone.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a can of worms. Try defining "classic rock" tone......

Yeah I guess lots of people have different definitions for “classic rock”. Mine is late 60 thru the 70s.

Nothing beyond or before. Before I would describe as “rock n roll“,....after I have no idea, hard rock maybe.

Yup that’s my opinion,...if you don’t like it too bad, I’m old! :cool: :D

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Classic rock" to me is a label put on music with the coming of the likes of Clear Channel
When i started playin the sh^t in the 70s , there was no such term as "classic rock"

As far as the Marshalls ....they're a great tube amp, good for anything . I use my 4010's on my folkie shows for acoustic instruments ...guitar ,mandolin, banjo ,whatever

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
"Classic rock" to me is a label put on music with the coming of the likes of Clear Channel
When i started playin the sh^t in the 70s , there was no such term as "classic rock"

As far as the Marshalls ....they're a great tube amp, good for anything . I use my 4010's on my folkie shows for acoustic instruments ...guitar ,mandolin, banjo ,whatever
It was top 40 then! :D

I guess I have more modern leanings like Halestorm etc tonally too.

Neptical

Reaction score
Sorry guys! Looks like I should be asking if anyone is copping any higher gain Marshall tones like King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Nuclear Assault, Sepultura, Kreator, Slayer, etc. Been a thrash metal fan since I was a young lad early 80s. But also love my DiMeola, McLaughlin, Santana, Montgomery, Atkins material too. Don't really see a lot of that around here so figured I'd ask!

Easton55

Reaction score
Yup. my tones are more Unleashed in the east or 80s Scorps type thing. I call it metal but it ain't modern metal. My bands are predominantly classic 70s 80s stuff but I play with my own tone. When I had a DSL I used an OD on Green Crunch with gain around 7 on the amp. Lots of chug, lots of balls. Leads were done on Ultra 1.
I use a JVM and 6101 30th Anniversary now among others. I use an OD sometimes with the TSL (which does sound different than a DSL) and the Silver Jubilees. Also with the 4010 JCM800. The JVM and 6101 don't need one.
My current original band isn't quite as hard sadly, but it is the singer songwriter's thing. I am slowly injecting harder tones as we go. We are still new so I'm sure I can get away with it!
Cheers
What bands, former/current, have you been in? Seeing you're from Saskatoon I'm sure I must have seen you play at some point. Meant to ask long ago, but kept forgetting, lol.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've actually gone really have lately ... lots of Bob Seger. Must be that youthful exuberance.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys! Looks like I should be asking if anyone is copping any higher gain Marshall tones like King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Nuclear Assault, Sepultura, Kreator, Slayer, etc. Been a thrash metal fan since I was a young lad early 80s. But also love my DiMeola, McLaughlin, Santana, Montgomery, Atkins material too. Don't really see a lot of that around here so figured I'd ask!
Quite a diverse palate, Nice.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
sooooo sick of classic rock because of
the radio selection here in Atl.

Who isn't? It's not Atlanta, bro. "Classic Rock" has gone from The Doors to Foreigner, to Bon Jovi to Nirvana. I haven't listened to the radio in many many years now, so I have no idea who carries the tag these days. Could be Justin Timberlake or GWAR or both for all I know. "Classic" Classic Rock is dead in the water; I do know that.

jeffb

Reaction score
Maybe I should be more specific, sorry you didn't understand. Anything low gain ala ACDC. Also, just a question. My favorite player is Alex Lifeson but talking about outside the box of the classic tones. Maybe I should've just asked who plays Metal with Marshalls..? Lol.

No worries. I was trying to post in a hurry and I think I came off a bit dick-ish. I was just trying to point out that classic rock means so many different things to different people. Sabbath, Unleashed-era Priest seems to be classic rock to some and to others it's cream, the who and the stones..ya know? Guns N Roses is "classic rock" I guess, these days.

The older I get, the more they keep moving the goalposts on me.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Who isn't? It's not Atlanta, bro. "Classic Rock" has gone from The Doors to Foreigner, to Bon Jovi to Nirvana. I haven't listened to the radio in many many years now, so I have no idea who carries the tag these days. Could be Justin Timberlake or GWAR or both for all I know. "Classic" Classic Rock is dead in the water; I do know that.

well here they have had the same 30ish songs on repeat for the last 25 plus yrs.
that just ruins the whole damn classification for me anyways.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The older I get, the more they keep moving the goalposts on me.

71becaa39f22d1bcdb59fbae3825662e.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
What bands, former/current, have you been in? Seeing you're from Saskatoon I'm sure I must have seen you play at some point. Meant to ask long ago, but kept forgetting, lol.
Oh hey where ya from?
I haven't played tons around here, my one band Whiplash with female singer is based in North Battleford and we play more there and into Alberta. The Forces Base in Wainwright is an awesome gig! We play some bars here, larger halls and dances, the Splash n Smash truck eally in Provost for years etc.
Played quite a few Thurs nights at Buds on Broadway.
I have another local band Torchwood with another gal, soprano, incredible voice. Seems hard to find male singers around here. Played here some. She jist got off mat leave for her 3rd child so we take lengthy breaks.

I am now in an original band, Afterglow. Have one single but then covid hit. We just started peactice back up again. Female fronted singer songwriter .

While the covwr bands play 70s 80s "classic" mainly, as I stated my tones are far harder cause thats me!
Cheers

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh hey where ya from?
I haven't played tons around here, my one band Whiplash with female singer is based in North Battleford and we play more there and into Alberta. The Forces Base in Wainwright is an awesome gig! We play some bars here, larger halls and dances, the Splash n Smash truck eally in Provost for years etc.
Played quite a few Thurs nights at Buds on Broadway.
I have another local band Torchwood with another gal, soprano, incredible voice. Seems hard to find male singers around here. Played here some. She jist got off mat leave for her 3rd child so we take lengthy breaks.

I am now in an original band, Afterglow. Have one single but then covid hit. We just started peactice back up again. Female fronted singer songwriter .

While the covwr bands play 70s 80s "classic" mainly, as I stated my tones are far harder cause thats me!
Cheers
It’s been a long time since I have played in a cover band, but I am still in your place JR, I have my own tone and playing style, and that is never going to change !!
Cheers Brother