Now that I have both an Origin 20 and an SV-20 I can honestly say:

• Thread starter Goober23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goober23

Reaction score
That the Origin has nothing to be ashamed of! Yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE my SV-20 and it is the tone of
destiny but the Origin is nearly equal to it and the price can't be argued with in comparison.
Both terriffic amps and both totaly servicable (by which I mean can "get the toan in spades").
It took me buying an SV20 to teach myself how to dial in the Origin. (now my go to settings on the ORIGIN are everything on ten with the tilt all the way to the bright side with the exception of the bass knob which is dialed to whatever level of schlubb i want with the boost on, it works extremely well with the volume knob on the guiar this way). The SV is at ten on High treble, 4 on normal,9 on treble, 5 on middle, 4 on bass and 9 on presence (it is a head if that matters),
WOW WOW WOW!

jchrisf

Reaction score
That the Origin has nothing to be ashamed of! Yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE my SV-20 and it is the tone of
destiny but the Origin is nearly equal to it and the price can't be argued with in comparison.
Both terriffic amps and both totaly servicable (by which I mean can "get the toan in spades").
It took me buying an SV20 to teach myself how to dial in the Origin. (now my go to settings on the ORIGIN are everything on ten with the tilt all the way to the bright side with the exception of the bass knob which is dialed to whatever level of schlubb i want with the boost on, it works extremely well with the volume knob on the guiar this way). The SV is at ten on High treble, 4 on normal,9 on treble, 5 on middle, 4 on bass and 9 on presence (it is a head if that matters),
WOW WOW WOW!
Is it easier to get good tone on the Origin at lower volumes than the SV? I hear the SV is loud

Goober23

Reaction score
Is it easier to get good tone on the Origin at lower volumes than the SV? I hear the SV is loud
They both have to be ungodly loud to bring out the KKKEEEERRRRAAAANNNNGGGGG! I use a two notes capture and a cab impulse through studio monitors usually.
Sometimes I use a greenback loaded 2x12 but damn it's loud this way and the Ir's are quite divine in tone actually.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 for Origin20 and a 212 of greenbacks. :yesway:
I don't have an SV20 to compare, and I don't understand the low volume question.
JK, my O20H sounds great at low volume with a dirt pedal, but it does need some volume to get native overdrive.

jchrisf

Reaction score
They both have to be ungodly loud to bring out the KKKEEEERRRRAAAANNNNGGGGG! I use a two notes capture and a cab impulse through studio monitors usually.
Sometimes I use a greenback loaded 2x12 but damn it's loud this way and the Ir's are quite divine in tone actually.
That's what I was afraid of.. by the time I do that my FM3 actually sounds better through monitors than my tube amps through a reactive load and IR.

CroTone

Reaction score
As someone having both Origin 50H and SV20H, I can only concur! I have been saying this previously as some of you will know.
Origin is a unique animal that I feel is not inferior to SV20...it is just a different flavor of an essentially similar sound. I think that Origin is a Marshall worth having in a stable as it can provide some really authoritative sounds. There are indeed days where I prefer Origin over SV20, but also vice-versa, which tells me it is essentially the same ballpark!

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I had both an Origin 50 and an SV20H and both were good sounding amps. I was really impressed with the Origin, especially considering the little money I paid, for a new floor-model amp.

The Origin’s low power modes seemed to work much better than the SV20, which in my case, made It the better “at home” amp.

Go figure, sold both the Origin and the SV20 and bought a vintage non-master 50 watt Marshall. So much for the bedroom amp.

Last edited:

steveb63

Reaction score
Same as myself.

I love my cabs, but that Two Notes stuff is way cool.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Origins are amazing amps. Extremely touch sensitive, punchy, squishy, very dynamic, and unmistakably Marshall. One thing one should remember is that it's not a typical 12 o'clock amp, which, I believe, explains why some people didn't understand it when it came out. It does sound best if you almost max the gain and use the master volume to adjust the desired loudness. Another important thing to remember is that the tilt knob does the same thing as channel jumping. Saves you a jumping cable and there is only one knob to rotate, but it does the same thing. With regards to TMB controls, most people will find that the sweet spot is not at 12 o'clock. But, it is totally possible to dial in tones which you will love. I believe that there is enough range for all tastes.

It's good that the amp is not overhyped. Made it easier for me to get one.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've owned a Origin20 and have a SV20H and agree completely.

My biggest gripe with the Origin was that (to my ears) it lacked top end sparkle/chime but I also feel this way about the SV so I think it's just a character of the circuits running EL34s at 20w or less.

The Origin was a MUCH better at home amp but still needed to be pushed/loud to get it just right. The SV20 should have the same 3 power scaling modes like the Origins, I am curious why and I wouldn't put it past Marshall to release a SV20r updated with 1 watt mode.

I don't think the SV20 is worth the extra dough, the Origin gets very close and is like 1/3 the price.

LCW

Reaction score
OPs comments about his Origin holding its own reminded me of this video. Not SV20 but he compares the guts of the Origin (Vietnam) with the guts of the SC20 (“England”)…

Take it for what it’s worth but for me, it left a sour taste in my mouth about the Studio series and partly (but not exclusively) the reason I got rid of mine.

Definitely bang for the buck the Origin wins hands down.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
OPs comments about his Origin holding its own reminded me of this video. Not SV20 but he compares the guts of the Origin (Vietnam) with the guts of the SC20 (“England”)…

Take it for what it’s worth but for me, it left a sour taste in my mouth about the Studio series and partly (but not exclusively) the reason I got rid of mine.

Definitely bang for the buck the Origin wins hands down.

Yeah, when I peeped inside my SV20 it dawned on me.... It's not "Made in England" it's just assembled in England for a markup with... Chinese parts... Just like the Vietnam made amps.

I also want to add I think Vietnam makes some good stuff in general these days. I have noticed with a lot of general products my family, friends and myself have that happen to be made in Vietnam are generally of decent/good quality.

LCW

Reaction score
Yeah, when I peeped inside my SV20 it dawned on me.... It's not "Made in England" it's just assembled in England for a markup with... Chinese parts... Just like the Vietnam made amps.

I also want to add I think Vietnam makes some good stuff in general these days. I have noticed with a lot of general products my family, friends and myself have that happen to be made in Vietnam are generally of decent/good quality.
Right - I felt really “duped” by Marshall. No issue with the build quality of Vietnam. But for the fact that they charge 3x the price of an Origin but they seemingly use similar components and construction. Maybe the headshell is truly made in England on the Studio series? Even if that’s the case, in effect just you’re paying for the little Union Jack 🇬🇧 sticker on the back.