I think my Origin-20 is pulling ahead of my SV-20 in my preference list!

• Thread starter Goober23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got some 100 watt Classics gathering dust in a closet. I'm having fun with my ORI50H with 2 OD pedals in front feeding a 412 EVH cab of 20 watt greenbacks. I can't stop playing rock/hard rock with this Marshall that can. It's raw and rude overdriven yet cleans up nicely rolling off.

I love me my JMP 2203, late 68' Marshall Plexi, and my SL clone. Can unleash hell with these 100 watters. Stand down the hallway with my Shure wireless not blowing my ears out but hearing all that Marshall glory blow through the house. It's good. Real Fucking good.

You goose an Origin with the right pedals and run it through a decent cab with good speakers built for R&R and it will deliver the goods just fine. My pedals of choice are the SD-1 and Tumnus Deluxe. Solid performer that wipes any smirk off my face due to its build. It has it's own Marshall vibe that elicits great fun.

Ok my whore ass has said enuff.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
As a Marshall newby, I've been investigating two Origin 20 heads that I see online today. Each one priced $375 and both descibed as in “excellent condition”. As I debate over which to be my first Marshall, (Orange fan here) , I'd like to know what the reliability of the Origin 20 amps are along with their build quality. On their lower wattage settings, would they be suitable for home use? I currently use an Orange cab PPC112 with the V30 - well broken in.

Classicplayer

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Marshall newby, I've been investigating two Origin 20 heads that I see online today. Each one priced $375 and both descibed as in “excellent condition”. As I debate over which to be my first Marshall, (Orange fan here) , I'd like to know what the reliability of the Origin 20 amps are along with their build quality. On their lower wattage settings, would they be suitable for home use? I currently use an Orange cab PPC112 with the V30 - well broken in.

Classicplayer
MF member for 15 years, and getting your first Marshall?
Ok... :shrug:

Origin build quality is equal, if not better, than the Studio series, and I'm not aware of any reliability issues.
I think the 20w setting is suitable for home use. :D

If you want cranked native overdrive, even the low power setting can be loud.
Pick your favorite flavor drive pedal and play at any volume you want.
If you're not working the speakers, you're not going to get "I don't use pedals" tone without volume.
6V6 power tubes can get overdrive tones at a little bit lower volume, and the cathode bias is plug and play.

Classicplayer

Reaction score

Origin build quality is equal, if not better, than the Studio series, and I'm not aware of any reliability issues.

If you're not working the speakers, you're not going to get "I don't use pedals" tone without volume.
6V6 power tubes can get overdrive tones at a little bit lower volume, and the cathode bias is plug and play.
Been an Orange Dark Terror user for awhile and mostly using 7 watts over the 15 for home use only. I refrained from Marshall in getting this Orange as I wanted a different “take“ on British tone. Seeing the two Origin 20's peeked my ongoing interest in the Origin design. And no..not a pedal user other than a delay in the loop for some added dimension. Vendor has both Origins as “make an offer” and I'm waiting on what they offer as a warranty.

Classicplayer

Edit: The Dark Terror has 4 gain stages allowing plenty of grind at home volumes. i.e. loud TV volume.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been an Orange Dark Terror user for awhile and mostly using 7 watts over the 15 for home use only. I refrained from Marshall in getting this Orange as I wanted a different “take“ on British tone. Seeing the two Origin 20's peeked my ongoing interest in the Origin design. And no..not a pedal user other than a delay in the loop for some added dimension. Vendor has both Origins as “make an offer” and I'm waiting on what they offer as a warranty.

Classicplayer

Edit: The Dark Terror has 4 gain stages allowing plenty of grind at home volumes. i.e. loud TV volume.
The Origin amps are not "high gain" amps, even when they are running full tilt.
If you're into plenty of grind without slamming the front end with a pedal, the O20 may not be the best amp for you.
Any chance of trying one out before you "make an offer"?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Shop is not far from me. Yes, giving it a spin with a Les Paul is doable.
The Terror is single channel, but I'm not a high gain type. My idea of amp gain, is to use enough of the stages to get a nasty bridge pup tone when bridge is on 9-10, but yet, rolling back neck pup volume gets clean with a hint of “hair” on it when digging in. I'm thinking that the Origin, can do that although a bit less “hairy” on either pickup.

Classicplayer

vivanchenko

Reaction score

Classicplayer
Reliability of the Origins is better than the SV20. Unlike the latter, the Origin has cleanable metal pots and sturdier chassis with sidewalls. Cleanable pots is a big deal. PCB and component quality is about the same and both amps use the same output transformers.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shop is not far from me. Yes, giving it a spin with a Les Paul is doable.
The Terror is single channel, but I'm not a high gain type. My idea of amp gain, is to use enough of the stages to get a nasty bridge pup tone when bridge is on 9-10, but yet, rolling back neck pup volume gets clean with a hint of “hair” on it when digging in. I'm thinking that the Origin, can do that although a bit less “hairy” on either pickup.

Classicplayer
I've got a OR15. Had a Rocker 30. Love me some Orange flavors. I got the OR15 cause it was the closest Orange to a Marshall. I don't care much for EL84 driven amps any more. Low wattage ones.

Welp, your ear is already use to a darker amp. That's good cause the Origin can be a bit wooly. Like a JTM. And like a JTM you just EQ it out(shelve it). Also the Orange 112 will be darker. I have the ORI 50 watter and run it through either a 412 of 20 watt greenbacks or Orange PPC 412 with H30/V30 mix. It came with all V30's.

Love my ORI. Great rock/hard rock amps. Depending on what OD pedal used in front you can get all kinds of tones. I always have been able to roll guitar volume to clean boosted or not.

Nice thing about the 20 watter is like fitz pointed out, you can use 6V6's or any same pin out power tubes. I always like that about cathode biased amps.

I say join the club. Can't imagine not getting an Origin to rock.

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score

The Origin amps are not "high gain" amps, even when they are running full tilt.
If you're into plenty of grind without slamming the front end with a pedal, the O20 may not be the best amp for you.
Any chance of trying one out before you "make an offer"?

I've got a OR15. Had a Rocker 30. Love me some Orange flavors. I got the OR15 cause it was the closest Orange to a Marshall. I don't care much for EL84 driven amps any more. Low wattage ones.

Welp, your ear is already use to a darker amp. That's good cause the Origin can be a bit wooly. Like a JTM. And like a JTM you just EQ it out(shelve it). Also the Orange 112 will be darker. I have the ORI 50 watter and run it through either a 412 of 20 watt greenbacks or Orange PPC 412 with H30/V30 mix. It came with all V30's.

Love my ORI. Great rock/hard rock amps. Depending on what OD pedal used in front you can get all kinds of tones. I always have been able to roll guitar volume to clean boosted or not.

Nice thing about the 20 watter is like fitz pointed out, you can use 6V6's or any same pin out power tubes. I always like that about cathode biased amps.

I say join the club. Can't imagine not getting an Origin to rock.

Informative! I will get a chance to play it this coming week, then make an offer (based on store warranty).

Classicplayer

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Informative! I will get a chance to play it this coming week, then make an offer (based on store warranty).

Classicplayer
Oh, one more thing. The amps volume and gain placement effects tone(openness/saturation) and of course overall volume. This is important to realize while getting it to sound good. Volume and gain placement will matter. Especially without using a pedal.

I bet a few Origins went back cause players didn't realize this tuning detail. I think right off I'd start at 2 pm on both volume/gain just to see what I'm eluding too. Move them around see how this amp responds.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good cause the Origin can be a bit wooly. Like a JTM. And like a JTM you just EQ it out...

EQ in the loop can drastically increase the versatility of the O20.
Like my JTM, I'm currently running KT66 power tubes.
I'm happy with the tones I get with the power tubes getting some juice from a bit of volume, but I'm also not limited by an aversion to front end pedals.
At lower volume, I use a Bad Monkey for crunch tones, and a BE-OD clone to go with as much gain as I want.

Oh, one more thing. The amps volume and gain placement effects tone and overall volume. This is important to realize while getting it to sound good. Volume and gain placement will matter. Especially without using a pedal.

I bet bet a few Origins went back cause players didn't realize this tuning detail.
^^^ THIS !!! ^^^
Volume changes everything with the Origin amps (I have a 20 & a 50).
There is no set your tone and adjust the volume with these amps.
Another reason I highly suggest an EQ in the loop.