Now that I have both an Origin 20 and an SV-20 I can honestly say:

• Thread starter Goober23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Right - I felt really “duped” by Marshall. No issue with the build quality of Vietnam. But for the fact that they charge 3x the price of an Origin but they seemingly use similar components and construction. Maybe the headshell is truly made in England on the Studio series? Even if that’s the case, in effect just you’re paying for the little Union Jack 🇬🇧 sticker on the back.
I can assure everyone Studio amps are completely made in the UK factory. Last time I was there I was watching the boards of SV20's be populated (by machine) with components, then on to the solder bath. However, I'm betting the Origin amps are manufactured in exactly the same way with probably the same components, just in Vietnam.

Seven

Reaction score
Now's your chance - GC is polluted with them.
I also noticed the used market is flooded with Origin amps. In comparison, the Studio Series are nowhere near as available and the prices are holding strong for the Studio models (at least in the states) where the Origin models are deflated with their pricing. The wood material matters, but only to a certain degree so there is certainly more to it. I'm not happy about paying a premium for PCB boards, but hand wired PTP is ungodly expensive and only marginally better in tone. Some would say technology has caught up with hand wired amps, but the jury is still out on that one.

I'm not sure what all this tone equivalent talk actually means, but it's not objective.

In other words, "tone and sound" are subjective and saying one is similar or better or worse, etc. doesn't really hold up with me. I have easy access to one of the largest amp, pedal and guitar showrooms in the states and we all hear something a little different.

Ask 7 guitarist a question on tone or music gear and you will receive 11 opinions and out of those 11 opinions will come sub-qualifications that will change with time and experience.

That being said, I've had my SV20h and SV212 cab for awhile now and love it. I did swap out the V-Type speakers however. I also have other Marshall amps and cabs so I'm not a one amp snob by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless some reasonable effort is made to do an A/B comparison using the same speakers, same cabinet, same guitar, same room, same everything but the head, it's still apples and oranges. The same model of heads with different tubes/valves can throw off a test as well. Even different year models with the same tubes will sound a little different. Even aged components will change tone. Barometric pressure and relative humidity will change how we perceive tone.

I like apples and oranges, but I know the difference. If Marshall could sell the Origin series at Studio series pricing, profits would go through the roof. There's a reason why things cost what they do.

Lastly, we all tend to get excited and love our new purchase and want to extoll the virtues of our new gear to others. I've done it too, but I try to maintain some objectivity.

New gear eventually becomes old hat and we move on to something "better".

audiosalvage

Reaction score
That the Origin has nothing to be ashamed of! Yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE my SV-20 and it is the tone of
destiny but the Origin is nearly equal to it and the price can't be argued with in comparison.
Both terriffic amps and both totaly servicable (by which I mean can "get the toan in spades").
It took me buying an SV20 to teach myself how to dial in the Origin. (now my go to settings on the ORIGIN are everything on ten with the tilt all the way to the bright side with the exception of the bass knob which is dialed to whatever level of schlubb i want with the boost on, it works extremely well with the volume knob on the guiar this way). The SV is at ten on High treble, 4 on normal,9 on treble, 5 on middle, 4 on bass and 9 on presence (it is a head if that matters),
WOW WOW WOW!
I need to ask sv20 owners a question. Is the sv that good? I've seen the vid with the dead on VH and Hendrix tones and debating buying, no, investing in one. i would have to sell my DSL20 , my Class 5 and my CV Tele to afford this. If it truly is everything it appears to be, I might. Your opinions

audiosalvage

Reaction score
I also noticed the used market is flooded with Origin amps. In comparison, the Studio Series are nowhere near as available and the prices are holding strong for the Studio models (at least in the states) where the Origin models are deflated with their pricing. The wood material matters, but only to a certain degree so there is certainly more to it. I'm not happy about paying a premium for PCB boards, but hand wired PTP is ungodly expensive and only marginally better in tone. Some would say technology has caught up with hand wired amps, but the jury is still out on that one.

I'm not sure what all this tone equivalent talk actually means, but it's not objective.

In other words, "tone and sound" are subjective and saying one is similar or better or worse, etc. doesn't really hold up with me. I have easy access to one of the largest amp, pedal and guitar showrooms in the states and we all hear something a little different.

Ask 7 guitarist a question on tone or music gear and you will receive 11 opinions and out of those 11 opinions will come sub-qualifications that will change with time and experience.

That being said, I've had my SV20h and SV212 cab for awhile now and love it. I did swap out the V-Type speakers however. I also have other Marshall amps and cabs so I'm not a one amp snob by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless some reasonable effort is made to do an A/B comparison using the same speakers, same cabinet, same guitar, same room, same everything but the head, it's still apples and oranges. The same model of heads with different tubes/valves can throw off a test as well. Even different year models with the same tubes will sound a little different. Even aged components will change tone. Barometric pressure and relative humidity will change how we perceive tone.

I like apples and oranges, but I know the difference. If Marshall could sell the Origin series at Studio series pricing, profits would go through the roof. There's a reason why things cost what they do.

Lastly, we all tend to get excited and love our new purchase and want to extoll the virtues of our new gear to others. I've done it too, but I try to maintain some objectivity.

New gear eventually becomes old hat and we move on to something "better".
Check out Johan Segeborn's You Tube channel, he does some painstaking comparisons.

Seven

Reaction score
Johan's channel is top notch for all things Marshall, speakers, cabs, etc. He's a great reference point for understanding and comparing classic tones.

I've been tempted to pick up a used lower wattage Origin head, but something bugs me about the tone. I can't explain exactly what it is (it doesn't make it bad or wrong either) but it reminds me of overdriven Fenderish type tones or something. That's also not a bad thing if that's the tone needed, etc.

To be fair, the Origin was marketed as an early Marshall sound which of course is the Fender Bassman circuit. I'm guessing this is what the Orgin was going after, but I'm only guessing. Again, not a bad thing, just not what I need at the moment, but that could change.

Given the opportunity, I will try one again when I get the chance.

Riffraff

Reaction score
Wow, that Headfirst video is really eye opening.

I've been eye guzzling every SV20H video on the web for about a month but haven't pulled the trigger because I already have an absurd amount of gear. It's hard to justify buying another tube amp when I already have 9 of them. :facepalm:

I've got a '71 YBA-1 I added a few Plexi mods to when I changed the electrolytics years ago that really nails that classic tone, a Bassman that gets 95% of the way there with a pedal and even bought a FM3 last year that has incredible Plexi and other fabulous Marshall patches in it. I LOVE the jumped 50W Plexi patch in that thing. :wub2: It has a lot of really nice amp models in it and the effects are worth the price of admission alone. Yet the SV20H vids have been haunting me and make me really miss the 1959SLP I sold years ago.

I've been selling off stuff for about a year and a half just trying to downsize my unused gear pile because it's grown out of control and needed to be done. I've have more than enough cash set aside from that to pull the trigger on a SV20H but after watching that video I'm seriously considering an OR20H instead. Will that scratch the itch? I'm not sure. It would definitely help me avoid the buyer's remorse I would definitely feel from buying a SV20H that's only $600 less than a 1987X. There's a night and day difference under the hood of those 2 amps. My biggest problem at this point is deciding which amp to pull off my rack to fit the inevitable Marshall purchase because I'm out of space. :lol:

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
Wow, that Headfirst video is really eye opening.

I've been eye guzzling every SV20H video on the web for about a month but haven't pulled the trigger because I already have an absurd amount of gear. It's hard to justify buying another tube amp when I already have 9 of them. :facepalm:

I've got a '71 YBA-1 I added a few Plexi mods to when I changed the electrolytics years ago that really nails that classic tone, a Bassman that gets 95% of the way there with a pedal and even bought a FM3 last year that has incredible Plexi and other fabulous Marshall patches in it. I LOVE the jumped 50W Plexi patch in that thing. :wub2: It has a lot of really nice amp models in it and the effects are worth the price of admission alone. Yet the SV20H vids have been haunting me and make me really miss the 1959SLP I sold years ago.

I've been selling off stuff for about a year and a half just trying to downsize my unused gear pile because it's grown out of control and needed to be done. I've have more than enough cash set aside from that to pull the trigger on a SV20H but after watching that video I'm seriously considering an OR20H instead. Will that scratch the itch? I'm not sure. It would definitely help me avoid the buyer's remorse I would definitely feel from buying a SV20H that's only $600 less than a 1987X. There's a night and day difference under the hood of those 2 amps. My biggest problem at this point is deciding which amp to pull off my rack to fit the inevitable Marshall purchase because I'm out of space. :lol:
Maybe a 1959 again? Seems like also 2nd-hand prices are coming down. Using a good attenuator, I think 50 or 100W offer more than 20W, although my SV20 still get used.

Put up a poll here on the forum, and we'll help you decide which amp to let go.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've have more than enough cash set aside from that to pull the trigger on a SV20H but after watching that video I'm seriously considering an OR20H instead. Will that scratch the itch? I'm not sure. It would definitely help me avoid the buyer's remorse I would definitely feel from buying a SV20H that's only $600 less than a 1987X. There's a night and day difference under the hood of those 2 amps.
A modded Origin may scratch the itch, but it won't make it go away.
Don't buy the Origin just to mod it to be closer to something you really want.
Unless you like to do mods for the sake of doing mods.
Eliminate the possibility of buyer's remorse and get the 1987X now, or you're just going to spend your money on something else that gets you 95% of the way there.

I have 2 Origin20's and a 50 - all unmodded.
I hit them with a barrage of pedals, and I'm completely satisfied with the results.
I want a 1987X...

Riffraff

Reaction score
I looked around a little today and saw lots of options. There's a nearly new DSL100 near by for $600. It's time to get another Marshall but it probably won't be one of the 20w models. I have a PS2 so I don't need to worry about the volume. A 1987X would be just what the doctor ordered.

BopKitBill

Reaction score
Origins are amazing amps. Extremely touch sensitive, punchy, squishy, very dynamic, and unmistakably Marshall. One thing one should remember is that it's not a typical 12 o'clock amp, which, I believe, explains why some people didn't understand it when it came out. It does sound best if you almost max the gain and use the master volume to adjust the desired loudness. Another important thing to remember is that the tilt knob does the same thing as channel jumping. Saves you a jumping cable and there is only one knob to rotate, but it does the same thing. With regards to TMB controls, most people will find that the sweet spot is not at 12 o'clock. But, it is totally possible to dial in tones which you will love. I believe that there is enough range for all tastes.

It's good that the amp is not overhyped. Made it easier for me to get one.

Origins are amazing amps. Extremely touch sensitive, punchy, squishy, very dynamic, and unmistakably Marshall. One thing one should remember is that it's not a typical 12 o'clock amp, which, I believe, explains why some people didn't understand it when it came out. It does sound best if you almost max the gain and use the master volume to adjust the desired loudness. Another important thing to remember is that the tilt knob does the same thing as channel jumping. Saves you a jumping cable and there is only one knob to rotate, but it does the same thing. With regards to TMB controls, most people will find that the sweet spot is not at 12 o'clock. But, it is totally possible to dial in tones which you will love. I believe that there is enough range for all tastes.

It's good that the amp is not overhyped. Made it easier for me to get one.
Old thread, great amp! - Double copy reply but good stuff...
"It does sound best if you almost max the gain and use the master volume to adjust the desired loudness." Truth. People mostly get it backwards and say that you have to crank the master.
WRONG answer honk! but thanks for playing. I use the Tilt sparingly if at all.
The amp has very low gain...say compared to a blues jr, where if you run the gain all the way up it'll be too dirty and muddy and indistinct. Not so for the Origin 50 head for sure.
The other thing to remember if you really want classic Marshall tone is pop for the best GB repro you can find. Scumback M75 is a great pre rola style Greenback speaker.
You really can't do much better than that speaker and an Origin 50. seriously

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I also adore the Origin 20. It gave me the itch so bad I am on the waiting list for a Metroplex 2. But the Origin is the perfect size/volume for both bedroom and taking somewhere to practice or gig. My main amp is a SLO, and it just does something I can't get on the SLO.