Opinions on a Les Paul rebuild

• Thread starter shredless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shredless

Reaction score
use the green tape to mask the black lines and when you peal the off you get a straight line.
It is the top of the line model you you should have a PRO version of what ever finish you choose.

Pro's use clear fibreglass to sit in gaps in wood splits. that is their cheap quick fix. their serious time and money fix, is alot harder to do. (your's is the bodgy brothers fix!)
you have to stain before you glue.

this really is a country guitar now.

hope you didn't oil that headstock!
That must be dry and lacquered.

Basicly if you want an unpainted guitar the maker makes another one from scratch.
you've made a rediculous amount of work for yourself which you'll never get back what you put into it and you might not raise the value back to what it was originally.

A pro just restores it to what it was.
A serious pro goes to the factory and orders a unique guitar.
anything else is just pronography/graffity.

If I didnt know you by know, Id call you a fucking
dick for this. But, alas....I do know you and dont expect much more from you.

Lets break down your ramblings...

use the green tape to mask the black lines and when you peal the off you get a straight line

you obviously dont read entire threads before ratchetjawwing...the lines are done as seen in the after pics. And you can use your 4 dollar green house painters tape, but someone who has been around the block will use professional 3M fine line tape...what its too expensive? Thats because it works and I dont mind spending 15 bucks on a roll of tape that works...

(your's is the bodgy brothers fix!)

I did not repair these cracks...they were already glued. Sometimes we have to work with what we have and that was what prompted the stripes, not my lack of know-how

you obviously dont know what tru-oil is, its a oil based finish that goes on by hand, hardens like lacquer and sands and buffs to a gloss
this is not a barewood guitar with oil spread over it.

Basicly if you want an unpainted guitar the maker makes another one from scratch.

awesome, I walked into a pawn shop and was presented this guitar in rough condition and disassembled...and at a price that would make you tear your pocket getting the cash out so fast. I didnt choose a guitar like this and do this to it

you've made a rediculous amount of work for yourself which you'll never get back what you put into it and you might not raise the value back to what it was originally

There was very little work involved in this actually, stripping the old paint and sanding...

1 evening

applying the finish, 40 minutes at a time over 5 days

4 hours

after buying all my new parts & supplies...ending up with a one of a kind rare guitar for less than you can buy a new epiphone standard for....

wait for it......

priceless:lol:

peterichardz

Reaction score
If I didnt know you by know, Id call you a fucking
dick for this. But, alas....I do know you and dont expect much more from you.

Lets break down your ramblings...

use the green tape to mask the black lines and when you peal the off you get a straight line

you obviously dont read entire threads before ratchetjawwing...the lines are done as seen in the after pics. And you can use your 4 dollar green house painters tape, but someone who has been around the block will use professional 3M fine line tape...what its too expensive? Thats because it works and I dont mind spending 15 bucks on a roll of tape that works...

(your's is the bodgy brothers fix!)

I did not repair these cracks...they were already glued. Sometimes we have to work with what we have and that was what prompted the stripes, not my lack of know-how

you obviously dont know what tru-oil is, its a oil based finish that goes on by hand, hardens like lacquer and sands and buffs to a gloss
this is not a barewood guitar with oil spread over it.

awesome, I walked into a pawn shop and was presented this guitar in rough condition and disassembled...and at a price that would make you tear your pocket getting the cash out so fast. I didnt choose a guitar like this and do this to it

you've made a rediculous amount of work for yourself which you'll never get back what you put into it and you might not raise the value back to what it was originally

There was very little work involved in this actually, stripping the old paint and sanding...

1 evening

applying the finish, 40 minutes at a time over 5 days

4 hours

after buying all my new parts & supplies...ending up with a one of a kind rare guitar for less than you can buy a new epiphone standard for....

wait for it......

priceless:lol:

I give this post 1,000,000 likes!!!!!!

EF YOU DREYN77 ya f'in' DICK HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Those stark straight lines on a curvy guitar ...ugh! Sorry I dont like it.
Theres a reason why the Zak Wilde concentric circles work.

Thats a really nice guitar. Patch up the cracks and give it a solid color or risk devaluing it drastically.

hellride

Reaction score
F**k shred! You always, ALWAYS stir up GAS. The white single HB LP, the white 4x12 and now THIS!!!! Awesome geetar man! Keep 'em comin'.

Oh, as for the lines, I think they look super-cool.

shredless

Reaction score
Those stark straight lines on a curvy guitar ...ugh! Sorry I dont like it.
Theres a reason why the Zak Wilde concentric circles work.

Thats a really nice guitar. Patch up the cracks and give it a solid color or risk devaluing it drastically.

Opinions vary

Thing is, I didnt know at the time how the tru-oil was going to work. In hindsight Id have done it a solid color. Not alot goes with the frilly inlays and these only came in 2-3 colors..

that is if i was concerned with value, there are always those who think value first and most would have passed on this guitar period...those befores are not how I brought it home. I spent most of a day doctoring it up and getting it together to see how it sounded and played. I wanted it somewhat presentable in case I just wanted to leave it alone.

The one thing everyone should be aware of is...I do not have a garage, a pro spray setup, unlimited budget, etc. This guitar was brought to this level ( a very respectable one) on my kitchen table with tools and supplies that anyone has access to.

The last one I did, the single hum white LP...that was sprayed and made a serious mess in my laundry room as well as being a pain in the dick and not coming out as well as I wanted. I knew that wasnt what I wanted again.
The tru-oil was a ****ing breeze to do right here in my kitchen and so far the results are spectacular.

I grew up in a body/classic car restoration shop with my father so I am aware of what pro level finishes are...but I dont have that luxury in my life anymore.

It is what it is and I hope someone else can say "I can do that too" after reading this

I know it wont bring the 3-4 grand these sell for...I dont care. If I dont love it when its done Ill get what its actually worth and no more. But it was about the journey for me and the 2 stripes were part of that and nothing more. I didnt say "Ooh! I want racing stripes on my LP" I looked at a predicament I was in and made the best of it.

But thanks for all the comments, good and bad:lol:

peterichardz

Reaction score
I would love to find a Gibson "husk" to do as I please with! Shred is like a magnet for those things!

That would make a cool single pup gold top!~

dreyn77

Reaction score
I'm so glad about the instant processing of infomation that you seem to have.
Is a Doc doing a theesus on you? we could all learn from this technique.
monks wouldn't have to sit for hours/years to become wise anymore.
what technology you must poosess.

blackone

Reaction score
The stripes are way cool. I refinnished a 76 deluxe that was a factory second because the wood had split down a grain line.because of the binding, I was able to put a thin veneer over the top to cover everything. Came up a treat, but those stripes do look pretty good. Nice work

shredless

Reaction score
sanding and buffing today...by hand of course...already did a sand through:mad:

its on the side, but I learned a sweet tru-oil trick...mix it with armor all and its a fast dry catalyst

touched up the area and in a couple hours I can rebuff that spot