Orange Circle Of Tone

• Thread starter solarburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Found a nice dual cable on eBay, I think,it should work. I also put some nice rubber feet on mine. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

BTW, if you have the chassis out sitting with the front facing you, is v1 to the far right or far left! Closer to,the PT or the OT? Thanks.

You have a rockerverb 50 mark2? Check this out its got a picture of the layout Orange Rockerverb Mark II 50 Standard Retube Kit

MarshallDog

Reaction score
You have a rockerverb 50 mark2? Check this out its got a picture of the layout Orange Rockerverb Mark II 50 Standard Retube Kit

Yes mine is the Rockerverb MKII 1X12 50w. Do you think this is correct, is this how yours looks? I could have sworn the 12ax7s were v1 -v4 abd the 12at7s were v5 - v7 based on what a saw when i pulled out the old tubes. If this is correct then i need to swap tbes in v4 and v7. Maybe thats why it sounded a litle flubby last night when I cranked the hell out of her.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
That diagram is correct, that is the layout I used when I re-tubed mine.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yes mine is the Rockerverb MKII 1X12 50w. Do you think this is correct, is this how yours looks? I could have sworn the 12ax7s were v1 -v4 abd the 12at7s were v5 - v7 based on what a saw when i pulled out the old tubes. If this is correct then i need to swap tbes in v4 and v7. Maybe thats why it sounded a litle flubby last night when I cranked the hell out of her.

You have one extra preamp tube than I do. There should be a label in your head case or labeled on the chassis, mine has it.

Hogie34

Reaction score
So I figured I'd just post this in here instead of starting a whole new thread about an Orange amp.

I was looking for something in the Orange line to compliment my Rockerverb 100 for home playing without causing permanent hearing damage to my family :lol:

After looking and playing, I decided on the Jim Root #4. Obviously I was interested in it cause according to Orange and all the other reviewers, the preamp was based on the RV. I can honestly say, this is probably about as close to a low wattage RV as you're gonna get without Orange making a Rockerverb 15. This little guy plugged into my nearing 30 year old Carvin 4x12 with V30's is pure high gain bliss.

Of course, never being completely satisfied with anything, I had to make a head sleeve for it. Fortunately, I had plenty of scrap birch , so all I had to order was some Panama tolex , a handle and some corner protectors . Not exactly to Orange specs, but good enough for me. Fully vented in back and a vent cut into the top .

If you are looking for a low watt alternative to the RV 50/100, check one of these out. Definitely throw some Mullard EL84's in it...you'll thank me later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 15

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great addition to our circle here and congrats on 2 fine Oranges!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So I figured I'd just post this in here instead of starting a whole new thread about an Orange amp.

I was looking for something in the Orange line to compliment my Rockerverb 100 for home playing without causing permanent hearing damage to my family :lol:

After looking and playing, I decided on the Jim Root #4. Obviously I was interested in it cause according to Orange and all the other reviewers, the preamp was based on the RV. I can honestly say, this is probably about as close to a low wattage RV as you're gonna get without Orange making a Rockerverb 15. This little guy plugged into my nearing 30 year old Carvin 4x12 with V30's is pure high gain bliss.

Of course, never being completely satisfied with anything, I had to make a head sleeve for it. Fortunately, I had plenty of scrap birch , so all I had to order was some Panama tolex , a handle and some corner protectors . Not exactly to Orange specs, but good enough for me. Fully vented in back and a vent cut into the top .

If you are looking for a low watt alternative to the RV 50/100, check one of these out. Definitely throw some Mullard EL84's in it...you'll thank me later.

Nice job on the head cab!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
So, I changed out the (3) 12at7 tubes in my Rockerverb mkii 1x12 from Jan-Phillips to JJs and it seems like the amp is a bit brighter. Could changing these (3) tubes really affect the tone, I thought they were used for the effects loop and reverb circuit:scratch: FYI, I am not using the effects loop.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So, I changed out the (3) 12at7 tubes in my Rockerverb mkii 1x12 from Jan-Phillips to JJs and it seems like the amp is a bit brighter. Could changing these (3) tubes really affect the tone, I thought they were used for the effects loop and reverb circuit:scratch: FYI, I am not using the effects loop.

I guess all tubes affect tone. I wish i had more to offer...

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I must say Oranges customer service is awesome. The amp I bought had three dentd corners, so I emailed Orange via their online address asking where I could buy some new corners and rivets. About 4 days later I receive an email from Chris at Orange in Atlanta asking for a few pics and the m/n because the corners have changed over the years. After I sent him th info, he said he would track some down. I then asked if they could be change w/o making things worse and he explained that they are made to be replaced and the best way to do it. Today I get a delivery with the corners and rivets free of charge yet!!! I installed them with ease and it looks brand new now. I sent Chris an email saying how pleased I am with his/Oranges service and how much I love the amp. Orang may have a customer for life, this is some of the best CS I haveever had hands down! Thank you Orange!!!

Hogie34

Reaction score
Not gonna start a whole new thread for this so I'll just post it up here. Been saving up a little extra here and there so I could buy this new without the payment plans etc. finally saved it after a few months. I wanted a cab just for the Jim Root #4 so I wasn't going back and forth with one of the Marshalls or my Rockerverbs PPC412. I also didn't want to go with the JR sig cab cause that's just too much signature crap. The head is enough lol. Got it in black to match the head sleeve I made and besides that, I love the way the black tolex looks with the tan grill.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Not gonna start a whole new thread for this so I'll just post it up here. Been saving up a little extra here and there so I could buy this new without the payment plans etc. finally saved it after a few months. I wanted a cab just for the Jim Root #4 so I wasn't going back and forth with one of the Marshalls or my Rockerverbs PPC412. I also didn't want to go with the JR sig cab cause that's just too much signature crap. The head is enough lol. Got it in black to match the head sleeve I made and besides that, I love the way the black tolex looks with the tan grill.

Congrats, I bet it sounds great. I love the black Tolex also and have the black Rockerverb MKII 1 X 12. Combo.

Hogie34

Reaction score
Congrats, I bet it sounds great. I love the black Tolex also and have the black Rockerverb MKII 1 X 12. Combo.

This has to be the best sounding 2x12 I've ever owned or heard. There's something with the grill cloth that Orange uses on their cabs. It seems to cut that mid spike with the V30's . Honestly, this thing sounds better than any Marshall cab I own and I'm a sucker for a good 1960b or 1936. It has punch you in your face bass response without the mud. It simply kicks a$$. It's gonna take a while to break in and sound as good as my 412, but that thing has some serious history behind it. Vintage 1970, old address plate on back, original speakers and the stains.....the glorious stains :hbang:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Nice amp setup Hogie I wish my Orange had the black tolex, maybe some day I'll have it redone or paint it or something.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have a 4th of July gig, I'll get to try out my Orange up against my friends DSL100, we'll see how they mix together or who's the winner! It turns out there's another band playing at the party that's doing classic rock so we were asked to do a modern rock set, hard rock heaven baby its gonna be fun and loud! I'm a classic rock lover hopefully I make friends quick with the other band and can join in with them. Pray for good weather I'm looking forward to it! :yesway:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
And here is something amazing about Orange grill cloth. If you ever get a dent in it or push is in and it looks stretched, simply take some warm warm with mild dish washing soap mixed in it and using a clean sponge, soak the cloth with the soapy water and let it sit overnight. The next day the cloth will be as tight as a virgins love box...no joke.