Orange Circle Of Tone

• Thread starter solarburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So the attenuator doesn't help much?

It helps a lot and does get you a decent sound at low vol, but it sounds so much better when the volumes are up. But Even with full attenuation, it gets loud very quickly once you start to turn up the volumes.

The clean channel especially need the volume up a bit for better tone.

The 50 watter may be a little bit more manageable.

My Orange Thunderverb 50 attenuates quite well, I can crank the volume and attenuate and get great tone at all volumes.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've owned 2 Orange amps/cabs:

I got an OR15 and a PPC112, both brand new, soon after the OR15 hit the market. I returned both because there was a loud buzz that I couldn't get rid of. (Just tried rolling tubes...)

8ab7b031fbd2506cd0a2f3a819c784a8.jpg

A few months ago, I picked up a TT HW from another forum's for sale area. Then I picked up the PPC112 for $200 on CL. I def consider myself a "Marshall Guy." The TT HW does Marshall very, very convincingly. And push the gain to 2 or 3 o'clock and, voila! Unbelievably great Orange distortion tone.

20160501_154947.jpg

The TT HW is so great, I'm probably going to sell my other tube amp:

DSCN0693.jpg

As great as the Offset is... and it IS great, the TT can do "it" too. As much as I'd love to keep both, my financial situation has changed from the days when I actually had a gear fund and bought and sold amps just to try them out. (I'm a drummer... guitar amateur for 30+ years.)

I'd love to try an OR50 and a PPC412. Oh, yeah, I would!

And... btw, the TT HW does "bedroom levels" really well. A far wider SPL band than the Offset, imho.

Almost forgot... had a PPC212 also... here it is with a '73 1959.

IMG_20110623_013832.jpg
My only complaint about the TT is the lack of eq controls and no fx loop, I'm glad its working for you though. Have you tried the Jim Root Terror, I wonder how that compares to the TT tonally, it has the features I like. :yesway:

rick16v

Reaction score
My Orange Thunderverb 50 attenuates quite well, I can crank the volume and attenuate and get great tone at all volumes.

I dont know if the Rockerverb attenuator is the same circuit as the thunderverb. It's not that the attenuator is bad, is just that the amp is better not attenuated.

langmurf

Reaction score
My only complaint about the TT is the lack of eq controls and no fx loop, I'm glad its working for you though. Have you tried the Jim Root Terror, I wonder how that compares to the TT tonally, it has the features I like. :yesway:

I have not tried the Jim Root, so can't offer a comparison. I know that the TT doesn't have an fx loop is a deal breaker for some. Sounds like the Jim Root might be a great amp for you.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
My main cab: Orange PPC112 (Vintage 30). Best ceaker spabinet I ever ownt.
Orange%20PPC112%20speaker%20cabinet.jpg

I uses this for fun with the included PPC108 or the PPC112:
orange-micro-dark-terror-full-kit-inc-ppc-108-black-cab-micro-dark-gig-bag-p10688-17461_medium.jpg

And this for real, into the PPC112:
Class20MiniH-large.jpg

Orange amps are OK, but they need cleanup in the low end the same way many Mesa amps do.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My main cab: Orange PPC112 (Vintage 30). Best ceaker spabinet I ever ownt.
Orange%20PPC112%20speaker%20cabinet.jpg

I uses this for fun with the included PPC108 or the PPC112:
orange-micro-dark-terror-full-kit-inc-ppc-108-black-cab-micro-dark-gig-bag-p10688-17461_medium.jpg

And this for real, into the PPC112:
Class20MiniH-large.jpg

Orange amps are OK, but they need cleanup in the low end the same way many Mesa amps do.

Vin...really? Clean it up with your tone and volume knob...which any amp I've played reacts nicely.

I'll put my OR15 against that Pee Wee Classic anytime. Let's hear it!:eddie:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think this thread is due for a bump.

Some Sabbath riffage with the good'ole OR15

I like your setup, looks and sounds badass! I'm planning on building a matching 2x12 for my TV50 soon, I might even attempt orange tolex, I usually just paint my cabs.

I wonder how one of those Orange PPC112 cabs sound with a 50 watt head?

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
I like your setup, looks and sounds badass! I'm planning on building a matching 2x12 for my TV50 soon, I might even attempt orange tolex, I usually just paint my cabs.

I wonder how one of those Orange PPC112 cabs sound with a 50 watt head?
Thanks man! These are two Jim Root 2x12's, with celestions.

I've never played through a PPC112. A TV50 might be too powerful for one.

Is that head good for low volume playing with the attenuator? I've always wanted to try a TV50.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks man! These are two Jim Root 2x12's, with celestions.

I've never played through a PPC112. A TV50 might be too powerful for one.

Is that head good for low volume playing with the attenuator? I've always wanted to try a TV50.
The attenuator works great, I never play it any other way. I'm just wondering if you get a big enough sound with that 1x12 its so small, its cheap enough at that price instead of building a 2x12 cab.

Latest posts