Orange Circle Of Tone

• Thread starter solarburn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The OR15.

Ya know what I'm starting to think the OR15 might be the mini hot rodded JCM800 I'm looking for. Pop that amp into some Marshall clothing and you wouldnt tell the difference LOL. That amps got plenty of mids and not dark sounding like other Oranges.

mbell75

Reaction score
Ya know what I'm starting to think the OR15 might be the mini hot rodded JCM800 I'm looking for. Pop that amp into some Marshall clothing and you wouldnt tell the difference LOL. That amps got plenty of mids and not dark sounding like other Oranges.

I just picked up a Rocker 30 and its definitely a hot rodded 800 IMO, especially with the EHX branded 6CA7s in it. I also have an OR15 and it does sound very similar to the R30, just not as big and punchy sounding and lacking a bit of the bottom end. Ive made some sound clips between the two as well. Look for an R30 used first!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's much closer to Marshall than other Orange amps. That's why I call it Orange's Marshall.

It takes Marshally pedals very well. So then it can cop some great Marshall tones. I always run it through my 5153 G12M loaded 412. Poetry in motion.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just picked up a Rocker 30 and its definitely a hot rodded 800 IMO, especially with the EHX branded 6CA7s in it. I also have an OR15 and it does sound very similar to the R30, just not as big and punchy sounding and lacking a bit of the bottom end. Ive made some sound clips between the two as well. Look for an R30 used first!

I haven't had a chance to try an R30, my only complaint would be the dedicated clean channel is probably too clean and cant get any edge of breakup grit in its tone (like most Oranges), the other is no fx loop for lead boost. Maybe I could get away with not using the clean channel at all and add a Metro loop in it. I gotta play one to see if I can overlook these things, I have played the new R15 and R32 and they are pretty good, everybody says they don't sound like the R30 though.

mbell75

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to try an R30, my only complaint would be the dedicated clean channel is probably too clean and cant get any edge of breakup grit in its tone (like most Oranges), the other is no fx loop for lead boost. Maybe I could get away with not using the clean channel at all and add a Metro loop in it. I gotta play one to see if I can overlook these things, I have played the new R15 and R32 and they are pretty good, everybody says they don't sound like the R30 though.

Funny because many complain its not clean enough. The "clean" channel isn't very clean at all IMO. It starts breaking up around 1 o'clock, especially with humbuckers. I dont use it though. For the rare times I do need a clean, I just roll down my guitar volume a bit and the dirty channel does the edge of breakup thing very well for my needs. A boost pedal would work well straight into the amp but if you NEED a loop, it can be modified to have one. Several guys on the Orange forum have done it and posted how I believe. The Rocker combos sound kinda like the R30 but not nearly as good, big or full, especially thru the 10 inch speakers. Here is a video comparing the R30 and R32. You can hear how the natural channel breaks up quite nicely with the OD pedal towards the end of the video around the 5:37 mark on the isolated tracks. Then one by the same guy back to back with no effects.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Funny because many complain its not clean enough. The "clean" channel isn't very clean at all IMO. It starts breaking up around 1 o'clock, especially with humbuckers. I dont use it though. For the rare times I do need a clean, I just roll down my guitar volume a bit and the dirty channel does the edge of breakup thing very well for my needs. A boost pedal would work well straight into the amp but if you NEED a loop, it can be modified to have one. Several guys on the Orange forum have done it and posted how I believe. The Rocker combos sound kinda like the R30 but not nearly as good, big or full, especially thru the 10 inch speakers. Here is a video comparing the R30 and R32. You can hear how the natural channel breaks up quite nicely with the OD pedal towards the end of the video around the 5:37 mark on the isolated tracks. Then one by the same guy back to back with no effects.

Theres many ways to skin a cat, I could use a clean boost on the clean channel to get edge of breakup and when I switch over to the drive channel adjust it appropriately to sound good with the clean boost. Thanks for the video info, I actually know Jay from the Orange forum. :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It's much closer to Marshall than other Orange amps. That's why I call it Orange's Marshall.

It takes Marshally pedals very well. So then it can cop some great Marshall tones. I always run it through my 5153 G12M loaded 412. Poetry in motion.

Truth be told I just need to get off my @$$ and get a JVM and stop trying to get other amps to sound like a Marshall LOL.

mbell75

Reaction score
Truth be told I just need to get off my @$$ and get a JVM and stop trying to get other amps to sound like a Marshall LOL.

I played a 410 the other day at GC. No price tag on it and I was just waiting around while I traded stuff in. It sounds ok but once you start getting into the higher gain stuff, its fizz city. Unless you are playing large venues where you can crank the power tubes and get that fizz settled down a bit, I dunno. Then I saw the price and couldn't believe it was $2500. I would take a Rockerverb 100 MKIII all day any day and pocket the extra $400! However, there are no places we play around here that will let you come anywhere close to opening up a 100 watt amp, even a 50 is pushing it. A big reason I got the Rocker 30, its about as loud and beefy as a 50 watt amp thanks to the two 6CA7s in it but not so loud you are going to piss off the sound guy or the bar owner. A JVM and any Orange are two completely different sounds. The JVM has that typical Marshall thinner, (IMO fizzy) more midrange sound while the Orange has a thicker, darker and more rounded out sounding distortion. You should probably just get a JVM if thats what you are set on.

grainman

Reaction score
before i get my hands on my 1959slp i actually had an orange rockerverb50mkii...(its why i play with that orange cab, and i love it)...i kept the amp a month . it wasnt cutting through the mix well with my classic,southern rock bluesy n loud band....and the grain of the distortion was a hair to small/sandy, compressed to me...i like big open grain overdrives ....it was too modern maybe for an ol 46 years old teenager....im into ol govt mule, and all the 60s hard rock hendrix and stuff so i wasnt really at home with my orange....its a shame caus i tought they were strong in the mids..but they lack in the mid territorry...(imho)..i went back to the store and ordered a 1959slp reissue...man was i lucky to fall on this one.(i did not hear it before order...just few you tube demos);...anyways im still open to orange ...but it will be some big wattage monster with no master vol..like the or 100 ,200...i donno if they still making these...but ill give it a try if they do exist...

mbell75

Reaction score
before i get my hands on my 1959slp i actually had an orange rockerverb50mkii...(its why i play with that orange cab, and i love it)...i kept the amp a month . it wasnt cutting through the mix well with my classic,southern rock bluesy n loud band....and the grain of the distortion was a hair to small/sandy, compressed to me...i like big open grain overdrives ....it was too modern maybe for an ol 46 years old teenager....im into ol govt mule, and all the 60s hard rock hendrix and stuff so i wasnt really at home with my orange....its a shame caus i tought they were strong in the mids..but they lack in the mid territorry...(imho)..i went back to the store and ordered a 1959slp reissue...man was i lucky to fall on this one.(i did not hear it before order...just few you tube demos);...anyways im still open to orange ...but it will be some big wattage monster with no master vol..like the or 100 ,200...i donno if they still making these...but ill give it a try if they do exist...

I dont like the RV amps to be honest. They are too modern sounding for me and sound too much like a Marshall, so Im surprised a Marshall fan didn't like it. As far as older NMV Orange amps go, have you ever played one? Definitely not ideal for the style you play and you will blow everyone off the stage at about 3 on the volume lol. Even with an OR100 and you can forget the TV 200, thats the loudest amp Ive ever heard in my life. The older NMV 100 and 200 watt Orange amps are really only for VERY loud metal or stoner/doom metal bands playing large venues at very loud volumes. I think Orange underrates their amps power. The sound tech who did the Zeppelin O2 reunion show said he couldn't believe Jimmy Page was just using a single AD30 and said it was the loudest 30 watt amp he's ever heard. The OR100 is incredibly loud and will blow away any 100 watt head Ive ever heard (with the exception of the Dual Rec maybe) I would guess its actually closer to 150 watts.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I played a 410 the other day at GC. No price tag on it and I was just waiting around while I traded stuff in. It sounds ok but once you start getting into the higher gain stuff, its fizz city. Unless you are playing large venues where you can crank the power tubes and get that fizz settled down a bit, I dunno. Then I saw the price and couldn't believe it was $2500. I would take a Rockerverb 100 MKIII all day any day and pocket the extra $400! However, there are no places we play around here that will let you come anywhere close to opening up a 100 watt amp, even a 50 is pushing it. A big reason I got the Rocker 30, its about as loud and beefy as a 50 watt amp thanks to the two 6CA7s in it but not so loud you are going to piss off the sound guy or the bar owner. A JVM and any Orange are two completely different sounds. The JVM has that typical Marshall thinner, (IMO fizzy) more midrange sound while the Orange has a thicker, darker and more rounded out sounding distortion. You should probably just get a JVM if thats what you are set on.

Ive wanted a 205H a long time but Ive got my fill of full sized amps so I haven't made the plunge. I keep convincing myself I need something small but I haven't found it, I want Marshall to release more small amps, if they don't I might just get an OR15 or the likes. You got me thinking about the R30 now.

Last edited:

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
My Orange rig. :eddie:

20171222_205339_zpso0xbhfkc.jpg

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Orange-ness, solarburn. With your pedal in front it sounds much like my RV50. I have always wanted an OR though, they got that cool factor big time...

I just got a Bax Bangeetar a few weeks ago, it's an incredible tool. You should add one to your citrus collection. So far it sounds great in front of all the amps I've tried it with. I use it mostly as a boost/EQ but it has a buttload of RV-style gain.

In the past I've had a Rocker 30 as well, but it was rather redundant alongside my various other amps, hence the trade up to the Rockerverb

What I don't have is any kind of Orange speaker cabs. I'd love to have a ppc 2x12 or 4x12

Good thread:headbanger:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Great Orange-ness, solarburn. With your pedal in front it sounds much like my RV50. I have always wanted an OR though, they got that cool factor big time...

I just got a Bax Bangeetar a few weeks ago, it's an incredible tool. You should add one to your citrus collection. So far it sounds great in front of all the amps I've tried it with. I use it mostly as a boost/EQ but it has a buttload of RV-style gain.

In the past I've had a Rocker 30 as well, but it was rather redundant alongside my various other amps, hence the trade up to the Rockerverb

What I don't have is any kind of Orange speaker cabs. I'd love to have a ppc 2x12 or 4x12

Good thread:headbanger:

Build a cab! :yesway:

mbell75

Reaction score
Picked up a CR120 to use for home practice, rehearsals and a backup to my R30 at gigs. Easily the best SS amp Ive ever played and its 100% analogue, nothing digital except for the reverb which is actually pretty decent. For those who dont know, its the Rockerverb preamp but uses op-amp rather than tubes for the power. Ive tested it back to back with a RV 100 MKIII and its unreal how similar they sound. The Crush Pro is 90% of the RV tone for 1/4 the price. Highly recommended, especially if you want to get the Orange sound but dont want to spend a lot on one of the more expensive tube amps. Its a "gateway" amp though! :D

3VLaiPP.jpg

Ian Alderman

Reaction score

How do you think an OR15 would do with a Tone Freak Naked? I just got the little orange box and I hear it's meant to work well with Marshall and Marshally type amps. I may have to open up an investigation

Latest posts