• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

*****Origin 50H vs 50w Plexi (clone) *****

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
It's not spot on, but holy Mary it's CLOSE. Mind you, I use a Boss SD1 ( clean boosting) and Boss OD3 to drive the front end .

50w Plexi is PPIMV ( CRANKED ). Low input II for more girth. This is amp is LITERALLY 'set -n-forget' for WHATEVER your heart/ears desire. You can crank the dials on a Plexi ( w/ enhanced Bass ) and your ears are in tonal heaven. I CAN NOT ( repeat x2 ) typically do this with other Marshall amps. The EQ on these amps are SO well balanced that I DO NOT get ear fatigue to that of more modern amps.

Welcome..

the Origin 50H is astounding what Marshall did with these amps. Output controls can essentially sweeten and tighten up these amps at lower volume FANTASTIC. TILT knob will bring in those GLASSY Plexi tones. Too bright and bitey? Use TILT for your bite/highs... skip Treble...skip Presence. It will all depend on your Cab/Speakers and Guitar. Hell...SCOOP and TILT... hear how your amp will sparkle AND punch. THIS is what the Plexi does best and we're spoiled by this with the Origins power scaling. Wide open with PULL BOOST and the Origin will absolutely annihilate with wooly JTM goodness.

The Origin will SHINE with it's versatility.

I run TWO Origin 50H in stereo. Having these amps in tandem with my 50w Plexi ( clone ) confirms these amps are no joke. Get your Origins now as I feel these amps are going to be absolute complete diamonds.

speyfly

Reaction score
Great analysis Neptical and for what it's worth, I concur. I've totally enjoyed my OR20H for more than three years now and have found it to be a "swiss army knife" kind of amp. It will do just about any tone you want given the right speakers and pedals.

I'm a low watt guy owning nothing more than 20 watts so I can't speak for the bigger Origins. I will say that this 20 watt head kills it and holds it's own with any of the amp I have and the genre I play. If I had to sell all of my amps and keep just one it would be the Origin because of its flexibility, never played an amp that was so versatile!

Really good thread!

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
never played an amp that was so versatile!
Can't disagree at all.

I keep swapping power tubes in my O20H.
Put a pair of KT66's in it the other day - thumpin' like my JTM. :yesway:

Changed out the Boss pedals for some JHS.
It's like a different amp every time...

Neptical

Reaction score
Great analysis Neptical and for what it's worth, I concur. I've totally enjoyed my OR20H for more than three years now and have found it to be a "swiss army knife" kind of amp. It will do just about any tone you want given the right speakers and pedals.

I'm a low watt guy owning nothing more than 20 watts so I can't speck for the bigger Origins. I will say that this 20 watt head kills it and holds it's own with any of the amp I have and the genre I play. If I had to sell all of my amps and keep just one it would be the Origin because of its flexibility, never played an amp that was so versatile!

Really good thread!

Awesome!! Thank you my friend!

Glad you've been enjoying your O20H for a few years now. I'll be honest, I'm intrigued to grab an O20H. 😂 As you've also experienced, these amps are so versatile with the right tools. I came from years of playing Mark III Boogies ( still do! )..and these amps are so impressive - speaking from playing Simulclass Boogies ( 6L6 & EL34 in tandem).

These amps ( like the Plexi ) are very much part of the experience that I've been following since I was youngster reading guitar magazines and listening by... cassette. However, it's not the same typical EQ to get there...but it's absolutely there.

speyfly

Reaction score
Awesome!! Thank you my friend!

Glad you've been enjoying your O20H for a few years now. I'll be honest, I'm intrigued to grab an O20H. 😂 As you've also experienced, these amps are so versatile with the right tools. I came from years of playing Mark III Boogies ( still do! )..and these amps are so impressive - speaking from playing Simulclass Boogies ( 6L6 & EL34 in tandem).

These amps ( like the Plexi ) are very much part of the experience that I've been following since I was youngster reading guitar magazines and listening by... cassette. However, it's not the same typical EQ to get there...but it's absolutely there.

Brother I grew up on late 60's-70's rock blues. When I saw Page play at the Terrace Ballroom in 69 I knew then and there, Marshall amps are THE ONE! BTW, it was 4 and 8 track tapes for me :hippie:

speyfly

Reaction score
WOW! You have been blessed!
I'm. Not. Worthy!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Don't want to hi-jack this thread so I will end my participation with this post

Not really, just in the right place at the right time, there were no more than 400 people at the concert and LZ was the opening act for the Vanilla Fudge. After that show LZ went on to be the head liner, VF dropped out of the tour. By the time they hit LA they were packing very large venues. I was very very lucky grow up in the early ages of rock and to see and meet some of the greats of that era. Lived and tended bar in Dallas between 73 and 78, Mother Blues was where I really got a introduction to music.

Something I wrote a few years ago- I see some of the links are dead so I'll try to fill in the blanks

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Apologies, got side tracked there as well ,lol . The Origins as I’ve said before ‘sound like a great Marshall’ , it’s that simple . The nay sayers probably don’t know how to dial them in coz they’re s bit ‘ different ‘ to eq than most amps . In the same sort of way a vintage modern takes some figuring out and so does a Jubilee to some extent . If someone for example said to Dave Friedman ‘ my Marshall Origin sounds like a plexi ‘ he would probably say something like ‘ which plexi set up how using what speakers ? Or it depends, lol . With some out there it’s simply a case of ‘ shit I’ve just paid $ 4000 for s plexi and I could have just got an Origin for $ 600 so I’m not going accept it gets the job done just as good 🤦‍♂️🤣 .

Duane1987xAllman

Reaction score
It's not spot on, but holy Mary it's CLOSE. Mind you, I use a Boss SD1 ( clean boosting) and Boss OD3 to drive the front end .

50w Plexi is PPIMV ( CRANKED ). Low input II for more girth. This is amp is LITERALLY 'set -n-forget' for WHATEVER your heart/ears desire. You can crank the dials on a Plexi ( w/ enhanced Bass ) and your ears are in tonal heaven. I CAN NOT ( repeat x2 ) typically do this with other Marshall amps. The EQ on these amps are SO well balanced that I DO NOT get ear fatigue to that of more modern amps.

Welcome..

the Origin 50H is astounding what Marshall did with these amps. Output controls can essentially sweeten and tighten up these amps at lower volume FANTASTIC. TILT knob will bring in those GLASSY Plexi tones. Too bright and bitey? Use TILT for your bite/highs... skip Treble...skip Presence. It will all depend on your Cab/Speakers and Guitar. Hell...SCOOP and TILT... hear how your amp will sparkle AND punch. THIS is what the Plexi does best and we're spoiled by this with the Origins power scaling. Wide open with PULL BOOST and the Origin will absolutely annihilate with wooly JTM goodness.

I run TWO Origin 50H in stereo. Having these amps in tandem with my 50w Plexi ( clone ) confirms these amps are no joke. Get your Origins now as I feel these amps are going to be absolute complete diamonds.
Agreed

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

After years of playing I finally bought the SD-1. This pedal is so good at clearing up the butt end of any amp. It really does blend so well with me Marshalls. I even like it in front of my Iconic 80 watt head. I don't use pedals on it but this one shelved some bottom end and made it sound a bit more Marsshally.

After all the dust settled with my other pedals I've ended up using the SD -1 and Tumnus Deluxe with the ORI 50H. Into a 412 with 20 watt greenbacks. A recipe for quintessential R&R. Only thing missing is bellbottom jeans, hair, and groupies worshipping my R&R godness. :naughty: :D

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to get off track to far with Neps thread but, have either you guys, @solarburn and @Ufoscorpion, tried a Bd2?

I think it really outshines an Sd1, I have both, both sound great but, the Bd2 is much more transparent, and it doesn’t kill the low end like an Sd1.
+1 :yesway:

svinyard

Reaction score
Not to get off track to far with Neps thread but, have either you guys, @solarburn and @Ufoscorpion, tried a Bd2?

I think it really outshines an Sd1, I have both, both sound great but, the Bd2 is much more transparent, and it doesn’t kill the low end like an Sd1.
Can you explain what you mean by SD1 killing the low end? I've heard the SD1 can tighten up the low end etc...but does it also kind of knock down the bass? (which is a good thing in certain amps...like my DSL40 lol). I'm guessing the BD2 is just a flat, clear boost unlike a TS (has mid boost) or something?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just got the Waza BD-2. I don’t like it yet with the Ori 50. Find it adds more bloat. That’s why I like the SD-1 more with the Origin. It shelves some bottom and makes it less wooly(JTM) and more plexi-ish.

I have the Original BD2 and now the Waza version which has the original voicing on it. I do like the BD-2 with my DSL. Haven’t tried it on my other amps yet. I’m thinking it probably sounds good with the SC cause it’s a toppy or bitey amp. I’ll have to get to it this weekend.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by SD1 killing the low end? I've heard the SD1 can tighten up the low end etc...but does it also kind of knock down the bass? (which is a good thing in certain amps...like my DSL40 lol). I'm guessing the BD2 is just a flat, clear boost unlike a TS (has mid boost) or something?
Maybe “killing the low end” is a bit strong, what I mean is while an Sd1 tightens the low end, it also cuts some of it. The Bd2 doesn’t do that nearly as much to my ears, most of the low end is retained.

YMMV

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe “killing the low end” is a bit strong, what I mean is while an Sd1 tightens the low end, it also cuts some of it. The Bd2 doesn’t do that nearly as much to my ears, most of the low end is retained.

YMMV
for sure the BD-2 doesn't. The BD-2 is a great pedal. I'm thinking it's going in front of one of my other amps. The Ori for me needs some of its butt cleared up. So the SD-1 works really well on doing just that. The right "tool" for the task at hand.