• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

*****Origin 50H vs 50w Plexi (clone) *****

• Thread starter Neptical
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

niazmet

Reaction score
I thought of getting a Valveking Comb (12inch speaker) but I really think I should buy the handmade plexi/jcm
Peavey valveking is slightly cheaper

niazmet

Reaction score
@niazmet Look in the workbench section at JohnH diy attenuator. If you think you can't put it together, hit up @Gene Ballzz about building one for you.
Thanks!
I don't like EL34 or equivalent distortion that much... I mean I think to have master volume lowered by some EQ in the fx loop and honestly it works. Still I usually only use the EQ to cut down a bit of high end not to boost or turn down db.
Power attenuator would make the whole amp pre and power loud as hell and turn down to a bedroom level. I'm not sure the benefits of stressing the amp to tell you the truth. Besides, unfortunately, the price of EL34s are quite high.
I could probably buy 4 sets of EL34 but that would coast 1/4 the price of a handmade amp

Burk

Reaction score
Yah. And they're not costly. I got the $60 version and don't want the waza or anni for more money. Good ole yeller one does it good.lol
I’d also recommend trying a Menatone Red Snapper….that and the SD-1 are my faves

Caffeinated

Reaction score
Awesome!! Thank you my friend!

Glad you've been enjoying your O20H for a few years now. I'll be honest, I'm intrigued to grab an O20H. 😂 As you've also experienced, these amps are so versatile with the right tools. I came from years of playing Mark III Boogies ( still do! )..and these amps are so impressive - speaking from playing Simulclass Boogies ( 6L6 & EL34 in tandem).

These amps ( like the Plexi ) are very much part of the experience that I've been following since I was youngster reading guitar magazines and listening by... cassette. However, it's not the same typical EQ to get there...but it's absolutely there.
I think it's the EQ that does it, when they were new it was extremely unpopular here to even think about comparing them to Plexis and yet they remind me so much of my old 72 Super Lead - but they do need theiyown settings to get there. Good to see a positive thread on the Origin! 🙂

What?

Reaction score
Thanks!
I don't like EL34 or equivalent distortion that much... I mean I think to have master volume lowered by some EQ in the fx loop and honestly it works. Still I usually only use the EQ to cut down a bit of high end not to boost or turn down db.
Power attenuator would make the whole amp pre and power loud as hell and turn down to a bedroom level. I'm not sure the benefits of stressing the amp to tell you the truth. Besides, unfortunately, the price of EL34s are quite high.
I could probably buy 4 sets of EL34 but that would coast 1/4 the price of a handmade amp

The benefits of turning up non-master volume amps are that the phase inverter gets pushed into distortion, unlike a master volume amp where distortion comes from the preamp, and the power tubes get pushed into compression to fatten the signal up. It sounds more open and reactive to picking dynamics since the power amp isn't more or less cleanly amplifying an already distorted preamp signal as in a master volume amp. You might prefer a master volume amp or a non-master volume amp over the other.