Origin sounds like a plexi????

• Thread starter tkelley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzard

Reaction score
I have owned and played through a lot of different amps over time. Cut my teeth on an original 1959 Fender Bassman and 59 Jazzmaster. The list goes on...1966 Marshall JTM 45, Vox ac30, Fender Twin, Sunn Coliseum Lead (WTF), JCM800 all through the 80’s, 1959slp reissue, 1987x reissue and lately a Germino JTM45 clone. Played just about every style of music save traditional jazz.
I just bought this little Origin 50 head. I figured you can’t go wrong for $500.00. If it sucked, I’ll throw it in the pond out back!
I’m amazed! Easily the best sounding and most versatile amp I’ve had. (IMO) Pile all those others in a heap. I would be in heaven with 2 of these...each one on top of a 1960AV. I already have the cabs, ordering another Origin 50 next month. Play anything-anywhere.
Anybody interested in a Germino JTM45?
How much for the germino?

Terry Cooper

Reaction score
I have owned and played through a lot of different amps over time. Cut my teeth on an original 1959 Fender Bassman and 59 Jazzmaster. The list goes on...1966 Marshall JTM 45, Vox ac30, Fender Twin, Sunn Coliseum Lead (WTF), JCM800 all through the 80’s, 1959slp reissue, 1987x reissue and lately a Germino JTM45 clone. Played just about every style of music save traditional jazz.
I just bought this little Origin 50 head. I figured you can’t go wrong for $500.00. If it sucked, I’ll throw it in the pond out back!
I’m amazed! Easily the best sounding and most versatile amp I’ve had. (IMO) Pile all those others in a heap. I would be in heaven with 2 of these...each one on top of a 1960AV. I already have the cabs, ordering another Origin 50 next month. Play anything-anywhere.
Yes actually I'm interested in the Germino

ronald a aguiar

Reaction score
I think there are a number of factors that come into play as to why a particular amp sounds good to a person and is inspiring as a tool. I have owned more cool and collectible amps than I can remember but a couple of things really stand out as I remember them, how good they sound ALL the time is critical, if an amp can't cut it in a band situation then it isn't the right amp for me, some do sound great all alone but just get lost in the mix. I had a small box 50 water from the early 70's that sounded like absolute crap through even speaker combo I tried until one day I just plugged it into a an old cab that was off in the corner of our rehearsal space it was the ugliest POS you can imagine, had chicken wire on the front for grill cloth and I think it was nailed together no lie. BUT that was the magic for that head. It was an Altec 416 15" Speaker from an old voice of the theater PA cabinet- go figure. If I had that amp today I would do a lot of experimenting with different preamp tubes to find the right combination- back then I didn'tknow any better. My old Magnatone MP3 sounds awesome with Strats and Teles, hates my Les Paul & 335 ???

trax1139

Reaction score
The single most important thing at rehearsals is vocals. If you can't hear the vocals you need to turn down....unless the vocalist is that bad you need to drown them out.
Playing too loud it the worst thing you can do. When it's time for each guitarist to take a solo the rhythm guy should turn down a little and the lead boost a little. Seriously, more power and volume isn't the answer.
More volume is not necessarily the answer. More power and speaker area quite often is.

trax1139

Reaction score
The single most important thing at rehearsals is vocals. If you can't hear the vocals you need to turn down....unless the vocalist is that bad you need to drown them out.
Playing too loud it the worst thing you can do. When it's time for each guitarist to take a solo the rhythm guy should turn down a little and the lead boost a little. Seriously, more power and volume isn't the answer.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I think there are a number of factors that come into play as to why a particular amp sounds good to a person and is inspiring as a tool. I have owned more cool and collectible amps than I can remember but a couple of things really stand out as I remember them, how good they sound ALL the time is critical, if an amp can't cut it in a band situation then it isn't the right amp for me, some do sound great all alone but just get lost in the mix. I had a small box 50 water from the early 70's that sounded like absolute crap through even speaker combo I tried until one day I just plugged it into a an old cab that was off in the corner of our rehearsal space it was the ugliest POS you can imagine, had chicken wire on the front for grill cloth and I think it was nailed together no lie. BUT that was the magic for that head. It was an Altec 416 15" Speaker from an old voice of the theater PA cabinet- go figure. If I had that amp today I would do a lot of experimenting with different preamp tubes to find the right combination- back then I didn'tknow any better. My old Magnatone MP3 sounds awesome with Strats and Teles, hates my Les Paul & 335 ???
What you’re saying is absolutely spot on . The thing that really highlights the difference between playing on your own or with a band is the isolated guitar tracks you can find on YouTube. The most startling one is the Richie Blackmore one from ‘highway star’ which sounds pretty ropey ( shrill and thin for the want of a better description) But with the rest of the band sounds great obviously. Very interesting listing to these isolated guitar tracks from the guitar greats , they are not exactly what you expect .

Terry Cooper

Reaction score
OK, you called my bluff! It’s a great amp and I use it a lot. I couldn’t sell it. I’m not bluffing about the Origin though...it is truly my fav. It’s the only amp I have that my 335 sounds good on.
I know what you mean I let a lead 35 get away from me and I'm still not over it....that was 6 years ago LOL

shooto

Reaction score
I had a 50 when they came out..sterile sounding, no gain (a little crunch, but had to be dimed), waaay to loud (but that’s the only way to get anything out of it), loop was useless (because diming it left no headroom for anything else)...

I traded it for a ‘76 RI Explorer...total win

idw357

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Origin 50 as a pedal amp. Just wondering how much it sounds like a plexi. I would rather get a 1987x but it appears they have really increased in value since the last I looked at them.

Would also like the studio plexi amps, but 20 watts will not cut it right now.

Thanks
Last year I purchased the Origin 50 head and the SV212 vertical cab. Excellent combination! Plenty of volume when I need it, but it has lower power settings also.

trax1139

Reaction score
I had a 50 when they came out..sterile sounding, no gain (a little crunch, but had to be dimed), waaay to loud (but that’s the only way to get anything out of it), loop was useless (because diming it left no headroom for anything else)...

I traded it for a ‘76 RI Explorer...total win
It’s not hard to imagine a Marshall needing to be turned up to get anything out of it.

tonefinder

Reaction score
I'm surprised at the insistence of some to hijack the OP's direction with persistent bellicosity.

Old Punker

Reaction score