OZZY fires ZAKK??

• Thread starter Adrian R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Wow...just read in my current guitar player rag that Ozzy fired Zakk...said he got tired of every album sounding like BLS...

It was also mentioned that Ozzy replaced Zakk with some player called 'GusgG' from the band Firewind..

Any player in Ozzy's band has got enormous shoes to fill due to the band's outstanding guitar legacy...

Anyone out there know anything this new player or the band Firewind?

Sorry for the off topic...

jcmjmp

Reaction score
its about time.

Zakk's been playing the same riffs and solos over and over again. To me, he should have been fired after the No More Tears tour. That was Zakk's pinnacle. everything is downhill from there.

He's become one of the most boring guitarists out there with absolutely no imagination.

ironlung40

Reaction score
its about time.

Zakk's been playing the same riffs and solos over and over again. To me, he should have been fired after the No More Tears tour. That was Zakk's pinnacle. everything is downhill from there.

He's become one of the most boring guitarists out there with absolutely no imagination.

Its easy to make statements like that, especially when you don't have the credentials as someone like Zakk, but it has to be hard to keep reinventing the wheel over and over especially when your music is bound to a specific genre like Zakk and Ozzy. With that being said, I also agree with you too. His riffage and solos are strikingly the same a lot, but so is Angus' and look at their steadfast committment to their style and their continued success.

this wouldn't be the 1st time Ozzy has been dissatisfied and changed things up. Back in the Sabbath days when they toured with Van Halen he said that basically said the VH played circle around them with the high energy show, etc. and that they were always stoned out. It was long after that he was hairspray and makeup. I wonder what has triggered his most recent reaction?

Anyway, they've both made more money than I could ever count. So, hopefully he is just wanting to change for his own creative sake.

willwallner

Reaction score
This happened a few months ago,

I love Zakk Wylde, I think his best albums were No More Tears and Pride and Glory, The first Ozzy album he did No rest For the Wicked is really amazing and he was only 19. Now his style has changed a lot to fit with BLS and I understand that the new Ozzy album sounds a bit like BLS. However, why did Ozzy replace Zakk with a guy that plays exactly like Zakk? Listen to the GusG with Ozzy and you'll hear the guy is a Zakk clone. I used to really like Ozzy but its hard to respect a guy who re-recorded his first two albums so he wouldn't have to pay the original musicians royalties and someone who basically whored himself out to reality television just to make money. He also recently sued Tony Iommi so he can't use the name Black Sabbath. Its not even the first time he fired Zakk, he fired him back in 95 cos Axl asked him to join GNR and Ozzy got jealous.

If anyone wants to really know about Ozzy read Rudy Sarzos book Off the Rails. Sorry for going off at Ozzy, I love his music but as a person I don't think hes that great of a guy.

Adrian R

Reaction score
its about time.

Dude..

Wow..always unbelieveable how opinions differ...I don't think anything on ANY Ozzy album is boing or unimaginative. Zakk did allot of GREAT stuff with Ozzy and his tone, although not my favorite, was VERY unique...

I remember back in the day in Jr. high or early HS when the average moron in school thought that the talentless band KISS..was better then the musical divintiy of RUSH!

I remember being in big debates then on that very subject and the tender age of 12! This shit never ends...the insanity that is...

wkcchampion

Reaction score
and... this thread shouldn't be put in another section?
It's off-topic, it doesn't regard any amp

prolife

Reaction score
"He also recently sued Tony Iommi so he can't use the name Black Sabbath."

afaik the band called "earth" chose the new name from the film poster of the film "black sabbath." how does oz get credit for the name? i thought it was geezers idea to change the name? odd!

superimposedmedia

Reaction score

Actually, I believe it was the "No More Tours Tour" Phenomenal show! Zakk played this 20 - 30 minute guitar solo that was GAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Out of all the guitarists, I like Jake E Lee with Ozzy the most.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ozzy is still making records? jesus christ...

I like ZW, but I've never cared for BLS. I don't really know any Ozzy stuff after No More Tears and Ozmosis except for the Dog the Bounty Hunter theme. I liked every album from Ozzy up until then and I liked all the guitar players.

If dude doesn't want all the albums sounding the same then why doesn't he get some more writers in. Lemmy Kilmister and one of the dudes from Alice in Chains pretty much wrote most of the No More Tears material with Zakk anyway.

On a side note, I saw Heaven and Hell over the summer before last and I fell asleep. That band sucks, I'm glad they can't tarnish the Sabbath name further and aren't allowed to play Sabbath songs. It is so boring, I think people are just excited that Dio is on stage with the boys because other than that sole attraction it's complete nonsense.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I believe it was the "No More Tours Tour" Phenomenal show! Zakk played this 20 - 30 minute guitar solo that was GAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Out of all the guitarists, I like Jake E Lee with Ozzy the most.

He was the one that seemed to want to experiment the most. I think Jake E. Lee was the most under rated. Not many people can fake their way through Shot in the Dark, but many try.

LesBalls

Reaction score
Zakk is the man. He has created a legacy with Ozzy that has influenced countless guitarists in terms of tone, technique, and attitude. Zakk's work with Ozzy will live forever.

HOWEVER....Gus G is a motherfucking badass guitar player

He is from Greece and his band Firewind has been around for a while.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01RaocxHCPg&feature=related]YouTube - Firewind feat. Tara Teresa - Breaking The Silence[/ame]

LesBalls

Reaction score
Zakk also helped everyone make tons of money selling their JCM 800's on ebay. And their early 80's Les Paul Customs which NOBODY gave a shit about until Zakk came along.

So, Zakk, thanks for the memories and thanks for over inflating the used market.

j/k ... love ya Zakk

superimposedmedia

Reaction score
He was the one that seemed to want to experiment the most. I think Jake E. Lee was the most under rated. Not many people can fake their way through Shot in the Dark, but many try.

No doubt! I agree though, all of the guitarists that have played for Ozzy are truly talented. I'm not really into BLS though. My friend had one of the newer CDs and it just wasn't my style. It was creative and did not sound like Ozzy in the least. Maybe I didn't listen to it enough but no, nothing like it.

From what I read, Zakk is undergoing some medical treatment. I'm sure he has more to worry about than Ozzy. When he gets good and recovered, he'll come out swinging!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Zakk also helped everyone make tons of money selling their JCM 800's on ebay. And their early 80's Les Paul Customs which NOBODY gave a shit about until Zakk came along.

Ummm... uhhh... The Les Paul custom thing was Randy Rhoads. Zakk copied that from Randy but changed it around with EMGs and the bullseye.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Wow..always unbelieveable how opinions differ...I don't think anything on ANY Ozzy album is boing or unimaginative.

You're gonna tell me that you like the song Dreamer? Holy S**t. yeah, opinions and music tastes differ.

Zakk has done some great work until No More Tears. Ozzmosis is not a Zakk album, even though its officially him playing on it (Little man is def. Steve Vai even though the credits don't show it). Zakk was not happy with that album because he was only brought it to play the parts due to contractual obligations. Ozzy hired Joe Holmes to replace Zakk for the tour. After Ozzmosis, Ozzy took a major dive with Zakk. Perry Mason was probably Zakk's last good solo and song with Ozzy.

I really like No Rest For The Wicked. Excellent album with great tunes like Miracle man, Fire in the Sky, Bloodbath in Paradise. The entire No More Tears album is good. Zakk's legacy is in those two albums.

Jake E Less and Randy Rhoads are ten times the guitarist Zakk will ever be.

LesBalls

Reaction score
Ummm... uhhh... The Les Paul custom thing was Randy Rhoads. Zakk copied that from Randy but changed it around with EMGs and the bullseye.

Yes, Randy did play a LP custom, but Zakk's "Holy Grail" Les Paul is a 1981 Les Paul Custom. When Zakk became popular with Ozzy, the '81 custom saw a significant increase in re-sale value due to Zakk. That's all I was saying.

Randy's white LP was a '74 I believe.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Yes, Randy did play a LP custom, but Zakk's "Holy Grail" Les Paul is a 1981 Les Paul Custom. When Zakk became popular with Ozzy, the '81 custom saw a significant increase in re-sale value due to Zakk. That's all I was saying.

Randy's white LP was a '74 I believe.

Yup!

Adrian R

Reaction score
You're gonna tell me that you like the song Dreamer? Holy S**t. yeah, opinions and music tastes differ.

Zakk has done some great work until No More Tears. Ozzmosis is not a Zakk album, even though its officially him playing on it (Little man is def. Steve Vai even though the credits don't show it). Zakk was not happy with that album because he was only brought it to play the parts due to contractual obligations. Ozzy hired Joe Holmes to replace Zakk for the tour. After Ozzmosis, Ozzy took a major dive with Zakk. Perry Mason was probably Zakk's last good solo and song with Ozzy.

I really like No Rest For The Wicked. Excellent album with great tunes like Miracle man, Fire in the Sky, Bloodbath in Paradise. The entire No More Tears album is good. Zakk's legacy is in those two albums.

Jake E Less and Randy Rhoads are ten times the guitarist Zakk will ever be.

**Actually, I do like that song Dreamer, and do a campfire version of that on my acoustic...in fact, I love that whole 'Down to Earth' recording! Com-on man, that opening lyric..."I'm not the kind of person you think I am..ammmm" etc..GREAT TUNE..

Yes, Randy Rhodes was the man..better then Zakk in some ways..mainly due to his incredible grasp of melody and harmony...and extremely influential...but then so has Zakk been in his own way.. Jake was kick-ass too, but what I understand was a total drunk..and I have no freakin' patience for losers who can't handle their alcohol! I love my German brew...and so does Zakk..but it never gets in the way of music..

So there is more to being a guitar player then just having incredible talent...there is also the pragmatical thing, especially in a band scenario..

Zakk BLOWS Jake away in that aspect!

Oh, and lastly, people can say all that bad things they want about Ozzy..but he doesn't do anything that most other rich assholes do....and besides if it wasn't for him, and of course 'a few' others..most metal/hard rock players would be thinkin 'tip-toe through the tulips' was heavy! He, he:rofl:

LesBalls

Reaction score
**Actually, I do like that song Dreamer, and do a campfire version of that on my acoustic...in fact, I love that whole 'Down to Earth' recording! Com-on man, that opening lyric..."I'm not the kind of person you think I am..ammmm" etc..GREAT TUNE..

Yes, Randy Rhodes was the man..better then Zakk in some ways..mainly due to his incredible grasp of melody and harmony...and extremely influential...but then so has Zakk been in his own way.. Jake was kick-ass too, but what I understand was a total drunk..and I have no freakin' patience for losers who can't handle their alcohol! I love my German brew...and so does Zakk..but it never gets in the way of music..

So there is more to being a guitar player then just having incredible talent...there is also the pragmatical thing, especially in a band scenario..

Zakk BLOWS Jake away in that aspect!

Oh, and lastly, people can say all that bad things they want about Ozzy..but he doesn't do anything that most other rich assholes do....and besides if it wasn't for him, and of course 'a few' others..most metal/hard rock players would be thinkin 'tip-toe through the tulips' was heavy! He, he:rofl:

Dreamer is a great song!!!!! I always liked Jake E Lee a little more than Zakk, but that's just me. Zakk's playing on No Rest For The Wicked and No More Tears was incredible.

Anybody ever heard the Just Say Ozzy live EP with Zakk? The live version of Shot In The Dark on there is a lot better than the version on Ultimate Sin.

But, I still love you Jake!!! Badlands baby!!!!