PAF Pro + ??? (in a mahogany LP guitar) for moderate distortion/overdrive blues/rock styles?

• Thread starter JBerto
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I have high gain and low gain pickups in various guitars and can play clean, blues, metal on them equally. What says you axe?
I know you didn't ask me, but I tend to use whatever. I'll play blues on a Tom Delonge strat (not that I own one) with a Duncan Invader if that's what's laying around...metal on a strat? Why not?

Iv'e got volume and tone controls on both the guitar AND amp...and sometimes even more on pedals.

HAHA!! I said "more on"

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
From my experience with PAF pro, it sounded best when enhanced by rack gear and effects etc, and possibly a little bland for expecting stand alone greatness in bridge position. I really like it in the neck on LP type setup.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
My favorite combination with dimarzio so far is Norton in Bridge and PAF Pro in Neck.

Caffeinated

Reaction score
The PAF Pro was literally designed for heavily processed sounds. It’s not really at its best when used in a plainer setup although it can make some great sounds in the context it was designed for.

Personally, I’d prefer something more along the lines of a hottish T Top although pretty much anything is usable depending on kit and fingers, even something like an Evo (actually for biting overdrive blues these can be amazing)

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've recently bought a LP - shape, mahogany body, HH guitar, and I'm going to swap it stock neck humbucker for a DiMarzio PAF Pro that I've also bought.
I have a ‘76 Custom with T-Tops which I decided to update with a facelift. I opted for a reverse zebra 490R based on the notion that it’s basically a T-Top but potted with an A2 magnet (which I planned on swapping out for a rough A5). I put the unmodified 490R in there and couldn’t take it out fast enough. I hadn’t played the guitar for almost a decade and came to terms with the fact that I really don’t care for T-Tops. There’s a 59 in there now and it isn’t going anywhere. There should have been one in there all along. I swapped out the T-Top in the bridge for an SH-5 Custom some 35 years ago. It’s now been replaced with a hybrid that I built.

Anyway I digress. The topic is supposed to be about choosing a bridge pickup to go with a PAF Pro in the neck, not about sharing our favorite pet pickups.

My EBMM Silhouette had a pair of PAF Pros in it. I swapped out the one in the bridge for a Breed Neck and called it done.

So, the question now to keep improving that guitar would be:
What Bridge pickup would works well with that PAF Pro in the neck in that king of guitar (mahogany, LP shape)?

I've another guitar that I use for "clean" tones, so I'm going to use this new guitar for songs with some distortion/overdrive. What I usually going to play with this goes from "crunchy vintage blues" to "modern hard rock", so I need a "versatile mix", of humbuckers, "balanced" (not to "fat", not too "bright" in that mahogany LP) and that performs well in those different kind of styles that imply some distortion/overdrive, and good for soloing and rhythm section of songs too.

In that guitar and for that kind of music styles, What Bridge SD humbucker do you think would be a good match for that PAF Pro in the neck?

Thanks!
Bare Knuckle riffraff bridge , mule neck , no better combination in the paf realm .

JBerto

Reaction score
Well... I put a Tonerider Generator in the bridge and the PAF Pro in the neck:

A brief test I made:

1) DiMarzio PAF Pro (neck)
2) Tonerider Generator (bridge)
3) Both humbuckers together
4) DiMarzio PAF Pro (neck)
5) Tonerider Generator (bridge)

BTW: I'm loving the Tonerider Generator tone!

Last edited: