Paul Gilbert

• Thread starter axe4me
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CroTone

Reaction score

In Paul Gilbert's hands, a washing machine would sound like a 1-billion US dollars tube amplifier.
On a slightly different note, the JCM2000 100 watt Dual Super Lead from the early days is one hell of an amp.
Sounds consistently great and is a true workhorse and gigging musician amp.
There is a good reason why these amps are one of the best-selling Marshall products of all time.
And if it is good enough for Paul Gilbert, then it is good enough for all of us.
Love the sound!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
No, but @pedecamp pointed out his Achilles heel. When he went on tour with Satch *it did improve - *it being his tone and chops. (with a curly cable of course).
Im sure he's fine in the mix but on his own its like nails on a chalkboard, like hes got his hello kitty guitar plugged into a gorilla practice amp!

gregr

Reaction score
I liked his tone best when he used an ADA. He hit a low with the 2061 or had he already tried an Origin and/or Class 5?

Last edited:

Im247frogs

Reaction score
I saw him at the Iridium in NYC and he used two Marshalls. The Iridium is a tiny jazz club and he totally dialed everything back with an attenuater and honestly his tone was pretty much completely non-exciting. Great set, though.

junk notes

Reaction score
Electric Fence was his best tone when he was channeling Jimi.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
That sounds like fun. Always wanted to see Uli live.
yeah, I've seen Uli quite a few x's... always a treat!

This was one of his Sky Academy sessions concerts. It was at Musician's Institute, in Hollywood. The year prior, he had one at UCLA.

For the concerts, he had a whole slew of musicians lined up to join in on the jam sessions. He did full day seminars at the schools, for the better part of a week, leading up to the couple weekend shows, which were always great!

A guy I know videotaped most of it & he gave me a DVD copy. IDK where the video is though right off...

I took a bunch of pictures, but, I lost them in a drive failure some time back...

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I've never really associated Paul with "tone". He seems "tone deaf" or blindly unaware of it. Especially in his rather shallow gear run-down in the vid.

He seems like a cool guy and YouTube has really given him a place. I've seen some of his fake interview there and was ROTFLMFAO.

I REALLY wish he'd drop that (soyboy) ...yeaaaaa! face every time he photos.

:)

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Great player though.
Like a cool uncle that jams.
Never into Mr Big, or the bubblegum rock stuff. But he definitely has some skills.

Joe Levens

Reaction score

My fav performance of his, as part of Yellow Matter Custard. Those leads are in a class of themselves.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
yeah, I've seen Uli quite a few x's... always a treat!

This was one of his Sky Academy sessions concerts. It was at Musician's Institute, in Hollywood. The year prior, he had one at UCLA.

For the concerts, he had a whole slew of musicians lined up to join in on the jam sessions. He did full day seminars at the schools, for the better part of a week, leading up to the couple weekend shows, which were always great!

A guy I know videotaped most of it & he gave me a DVD copy. IDK where the video is though right off...

I took a bunch of pictures, but, I lost them in a drive failure some time back...
not from the video I have, but this is from the Uli show @ MI...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
here's a shot I have from my camera, from what I could find...

paul001.jpg

I wish I could find the original files, because that's not a good edit/shot...