Pickup Lesson. Feel free to ask questions

• Thread starter captcoolaid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Billyblades

Reaction score
I cant refuse a deal like that! Dude! I will do you several with different Styles thru differnt amp Settings.
Metal , Hard Rock , Acdc style Rock or and something clean n pretty ! Drums bass solos n all! !

All with my Blades Amps of course!!! :)

I will use the pup in a great quilt top les paul that needs a kick in the ass with a trip to the Asylum!!!

I believe in you brother and i will make you proud! This can be the start of something great.
Us up n comming guys need to stick together.
Time to put Honesty love and craftsmanship back into the market!

Yes,,, we build them like they used to..

Back in the time where they cared about the craft and the client and they were the priority! .

Last edited:

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to run all. I wish i new how to stream you could all watch what goes on as it is done. Time for work will be back in a bit.

that would be cool. there's always Skype & you can record it simultaneously for later youtube uploads.:thumb:

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Hit me with a color and what bridge you want. I have just a bit more to do tonight and am swamped with the Raiders game and orders.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Basic black Asylum + (plus) man! No frills ... just tone! :)
Thanks dude! I will make a bunch of killer tracks for you so your prospective clients can hear it in a bunch of different styles!

I think the variety would really showcase it well and appeal to a bunch of different players!

Last edited:

captcoolaid

Reaction score
So lets break this down to easy terms for a second.

First and formost DCR does not equal output. Many varying things contribute to this ie mag, wire, and TPL are all contributors to this.

TPL and tension contribute to various tones in the same wire type and awg. While wire type PE, Poly and awg are the main factors.

I think tomorrow or maybe later to day we will do slug and pole screw alloys as well as how different base plates affect tone.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thread Rayne.
Don't forget inductance, resonance and how the wiring harness figure into the equation...

captcoolaid

Reaction score
I think it would be great. I have a couple other winders that are gonna participate as well. Kevin from Fuelie, and hopefully Bill Megalla from ECP pickups as well. This way you can get perspective from highoutput guy (me) and a couple of top notch vintage style winders.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Maybe we should do a sticky on harnesses as well. Maybe delve into the differences and history ofPIO and Mylar as well as chicklets, paper in wax and some of the NOS caps. Like the differences between Jensen and LUX, Vitamin Q an KY40s. I know we did this over at the MLP and it was great. It really opened the eyes of many.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
That would definitely be cool and useful.
And it could also be tied into various types of guitars and amplifiers describing reactions in combination.
To me this is just as important as what type of booster or distortion to put in front of what amplifier. It should open some eyes.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
So lets break this down to easy terms for a second.

First and formost DCR does not equal output. Many varying things contribute to this ie mag, wire, and TPL are all contributors to this.

TPL and tension contribute to various tones in the same wire type and awg. While wire type PE, Poly and awg are the main factors.

I think tomorrow or maybe later to day we will do slug and pole screw alloys as well as how different base plates affect tone.

I* am not 100% on this so take it as what I believe, but i think wire type vs mag type gives you the EQ deffinition. I do know that in actual out put it is more defined by mag choice than the turn count.

Example my Manfred is 21k, output is close to 950 Mv with an A5 in it. Same pup with an A8 in it strummed normally is around 1150 Mv and beat up like I play is closer to 1600Mv. It pushes enough to clip some affect pedals.

As far as lowering it to gain a dynamics you actually lose some dynamics. Remember the mag pule on the slugs and keeper bar. You can however De Gauss a magnet to tame some of it.
Good points to consider.

When you see pickups online, most list spec's on specific items, such as resistance, & then go on to tell you how this pickup has a _____ range of output. It seems as though the higher the resistance value, the higher the output in many cases, but, that's not the whole picture.

I'm guessing when you say A5 & A8, you're referring to Alnico5 & Alnico8?

As far as the last paragraph, I was reading an article from Hendrix's guitar tech, who stated that they usually dropped his pickups very low & in fact screwed them to the wood, to get the resonance from the body vibrations & matched w/ a specific gauge of strings, that would match well w/ the magnetic pull.

That has always intrigued me, as it would seem getting that wood tone, rather than the spring on plastic, would get a warmer tone. They even make wood pickguards, that have interested me.

I wasn't really inferring of lowering the pickups a whole lot, if it is spring loaded on plastic, but maybe if mounted to wood.

I've been seeing quite a bit of hybrid systems using piezos in conjunction w/ bobbin style lately, which intrigues me, especially because you can install piezos in places where bobbins can't be easily w/ great effect.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Yes you do get a different ring to a pickup when direct mounted. a lot of us that do these on a regular basis use a different alloy plate when doing thes. Eddie currents come into play severly here as they are interupted for lack of a better word when direct mounted as opposed to ring mounted. I think that is why a P-90 sounds so different than any othe single coil.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
best explanation ever.

Eddy currents are, in general, stray currents of electricity that are created (by induction) in conductors. Any time a magnetic field "sweeps" or "moves across" a conductor, induction occurs, and tiny voltages (with their tiny currents) are set up. These currents, in turn, create small magnetic fields that oppose the magnetic field that induced the eddy currents in the first place. Said another way, any time a voltage is induced in a conductor, eddy currents flow and counter-electromotive force (counter emf or back emf) is induced which opposes the original field.

So in theory the wood acts as a ground per say and therefore change the tone slightly.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Not always.

A good friend of mine Kevin run what is called the Plain Jane set. What he does is mill swirls into the plates. Like this

b140.jpg

This caused them to be almost anemic hence he changed the wind and now they sound amazing. This distracted the flow of current and thus changed the tone in a not so great way. With a change of a few things these are one of the best pups on the market.

With would I think it dampens the flow thus making it a bit darker but not much. If anything a bit more growl to it.

When I wind i use no less than 4 different base plate suppliers because of copper content and nickel content. When we get into pole screws, slugs and keeper bars we will get into the flow of the mag field just a bit.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Rayne! I commend you on educating people to help them understand whats going on which will help them communicate to you how they want to construct their tone!

It is fascinating how every piece is special!

As far as the demos go I am primarily an Artist. I love what I have to offer in my upcoming Amplifier series but as an Artist I have absolutely no problem using my other amps while doing your demos.

Different styles and textures will be the icing on your cake! I will primarily use my modded Marshall inspired ampline since it covers alot of tones from old to modern. I have other amps as well and will use them thru the sessions and post the info on what and where each amp was used.

:) MHD & Blades Custom Amplifiers haha Music to my ears!!!

Billyblades

Reaction score
I will be keeping my Bill lawrence xl500l because i love what he is about n we have history!

But i think i will be loading a shit ton of humbuckers on ebay to equipt all my guitars with MHD !