Pickup Lesson. Feel free to ask questions

• Thread starter captcoolaid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Just curious because everybody has tried to sell me on the classic les paul sound but i just dont think i like the paf pups in a paul.

Mine sounds like i borrowed jimmy pages les paul from the 70s when i want a ballzier tone i am waiting on rayne to save the day...

Im still stumped on your issue w the gb/ ???

Like i said , wish we were neighbors.
I would chk out what yur saying n hook ya up with a hot piece of ass from my stash of fun lovin tattooed ladies ;)

kill 2 birds wit one billy blades lol

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
See listening to those clips again knowing now that the one is with a different cab I hear exactly what it is I don't get along with in the first one. I just thought it was the recording before, but now I definitely hear the difference in the speakers.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, I'm really nit picking here and it's because I play alone. I had a GBeret before, but it was paired with a Vet 30 in my PV classic 50 and I thought it was the Vet 30 I didn't like, turns out it was the GB all along because it the same thing now...still, I can't wrap my head around why it wasn't an issue until I got my LP.?!

Billyblades

Reaction score
good to hear its audible to you. it might be something in ur ears as we all hear slightly different I am told. the gb have their own tone. the celestion 75 watter or wgs equivalent should be a cheap fix / experiment. you can easily recoup the dough on ebay or the classifieds

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
"the celestion 75 watter or wgs equivalent" which one is that? I looked at the WGS site, but I need to do more research, I don't know what's what just yet.

Hey man, I'm not looking to replace the cab, just the speaker. Down the road when I have more room and feel settled somewhere then I'll start accumulating...right now I'm just looking to replace a speaker and keep it small. 1 amp and 1 or 2 guitars is all I need right now. The only reason I say "or 2 guitars" is because I have a Tele itch that needs scratching BAD!!!...that's going to be my priority as soon I get this squared away! :naughty:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
...and Rayne, yes I'm about to have more MHDs than I have guitars for, but after the Tele and getting settled somewhere...I have a couple of other build ideas. :naughty: Now that I know the Slim 60's neck profile is very similar to the Godins (which is why I fell in love with those guitars in the first place) I know I can build what I want...my Godins are for sale.

Billyblades

Reaction score
I understand you Steve.. Im just trying to hear what you hear. Im in constant study of tone as well as what people are hearing. I too have a Les Paul issue as well. Everybodys "classic lp " sounds like country chikkin pikkin bs to "me".

What really got me started on this was a talk with Zachman many moons ago. He opened my ears to another level of tone searching i thought had accomplished. It involved looking for lower gain pkups to achieve the bloom n clarity. The dynamics to. Im looking for the hottest pickup i can find where i can still get decent dynamics when.i pik something softly. I usually like a rich full tone with beefy but not farty bass,, chewy but not boxy midz and a clear seating full top end where the notes have authority but not tinny, weak or shrill.
i like something to be badass when fullblast but be a sweet when rolled down.
I like some def punch as well. These are what i am looking for. One thing now is matching pickups to the right guitar. Every part of that guitar plays a part in that pickup quest. Wood as well.

In both vids i used a 498t equipped Mahogany LP studio deluxe. No maple cap. I noticed my maple caps are different too but really respond well to the 498 which your Asylums are close to with the added benefit of Raynes touches.

Now speaker. Im feelin you are a little more metal so the greenback is a midrangy classic speaker for classic stuff. EVH,,, older metal. If youre liking more modern the 75watt should reduce mids and give a heavier overall tone.. 75watters were morr late eighties /early nineties where the greenback is 1984 VH n under. Greenback is a more versatile speaker imo because it covers kiss to acdc to vh n others.

The 75 is more anthrax, bulletboyz n testament :). Lil more scooped which translates into heavier.

Have fun with it. Its better spending money on gear than the guys who spend their money on
dope n never get shit for the money :)

Its a fun ride so document it. Nake another recording. Love to hear which direction your driving too :D

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have really bad tinnitus since I was in the military, yes that's exactly it. One day I was working on the flight line at the end of the runway. I was a telephone guy and I was checking pairs in a cable that operated the runway lights so I couldn't wear ear muffs. We had a bad cable pair and I was looking for a good one to use. There were a couple of fighter jets doing flybys and when they saw me there they started buzzing me, turning straight up and kicking in the after burners right above me. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard. My ears have been ringing ever since, but as far as the military is concerned I don't have any hearing loss so they won't do a thing about it.

It's only certain frequencies I have a problem with. Certain highs and anything droning. A car stereo with booming bass is the worst. That's the reason I go for the low watters and part of the reason I've never really played loud. I even have to run loud fans at night or the ringing is so loud it drives me crazy and I can't sleep.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Just askin because my ears are very sensitive n shrill n tinny is like nails on a chalkboard. To me. I cant even play my 2203 because its so bright. I cant stand vintage 30s because they gave a bright mid hump that i actually hate.
Im so anal over shit concerning sounds. My ears have been hurt yrs ago by jammin a plexi in a small room. BAD IDEA!

THEY HEALED THO :). It was back.in 2004. My eardrum.just felt like it broke loose from the spl.

My ear fully healed but it left me with a bad vibes for tinnyness or shrill sounds..

Thats a reason i love the greenback for its woodyness and warmth.

Ive had eminences that sounded like cardboard. A patriot. That was with a mod5 platform tho.

Crazy how everything is a factor but nothing is absolute ..

Aaahhhhggg lol :)

Billyblades

Reaction score
That cab has been ported to enhance lows. Try plugging the inner hole. Tape a cap from a jug over it n try it.

Those stronger thumps might enhance lower freqs which give that cab the "boom ". I designed it to enhance the bass usually missing in 1x12s

To most it just sounds awesome in person but my amps are punchy as fuk and in combination with a punchy cab with ballz might be aggrivating your ear problems.

Keep in mind,,, these attributes are saught after in bands and i wanted a big thick growling sound. .

Just trying to help you in your quest. Trying to see where i can help. The reason why i ask questions and im just a naturally inquisitive dude..

Try a 75 and or the plugging of the bass port. Just wondering. My attempt at making a bigger
sounding mini stack might be too big sounding. Tinnitus is a spl thing too. Punchy ass sound pressure levels can enhance certain frequencies in combination with an.overly bright guitar.

Really wanting to hear these Asylums you ordered.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Mr Blades diggin.deep lol. Something just clikked when you said ringing at freqs that i had experiencecwith previously.

My sounds from my amps are IN YOUR FACE :D

That punch is Godly tho but your ear problems being affected by something i never thought about.

Great... now i have to put a parental Warning.

Here that kids.

BLADES SHIT IS DANGEROUS N YOURE NOT WORTHY AND YOUR HEADS WILL EXPLODE!

HAHA.. i was channeling Jack Black hehe ;)

There ya go.. now all the kids are gonna be wantin one lol.

Just havin some fun.. jokin of course :)

Blades Amps...

Well Steve... if its too loud?

Your are ....

In need of a stronger buzz :)

Post your results man. Im reall interested in this. It might help in reccommending sonething in the future for others in the same situation with tinnitus. ;)

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Would the port have anything to do with the highs? The bass is fine and I like a thick growling sound too, that's what I'm after, but with round highs. I'm a mid junky, but too much upper mids can be a bad thing. I love the highs and upper mids on the Red White & Blues, but the lower mids are too smooth, thick and almost muddy. I need a GB with rounder highs an upper mids, I love the low end growl.

I can't wait to hear those Asylums too! ...don't you have one on the way? ...and I do plan on a comparison clip. :)

Billyblades

Reaction score
Idk lol. I think i know but Raynes been in contact with me alot lately.

Im really dying to get this train a runnin :).

My main focus was the Asylum plus with an a8. Then wanting something also, for EVH so i can show off some brownsound.

Raynes has said 5150, teabag and a Str8jkt.

Now he said he wants to send me the newest 26.8k Mrs Violence???

Im jusr ready for anything. Ita been a Rollercoaster ride for me lately and i want ti get everything finalized n in place before fall time.

This has been one crazy fast year so far! I been movin so fast even tho its not all publicized.
feelin like i need a pause button haha...

Billyblades

Reaction score
Oh shit haha.. sometimes the port will boost low n low midz but not really affect the highs too much. If you like the bass.. keep the port. Intact n undisturbed.

I vote for the 75 then.. it will sound more balanced to your ears. Imho ...

The greenbacks are wooly n woody sounding. The highs are rounded.

On the 75 everything is sharper sounding. They have sharper highs.. not rounded like the gb. The upper midz from the gb are not in the 75.
Wgs has one i think.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Dude.. ask Solar (joe) what he thinks of the hm75. I remember somewhere he said they dont have the icepikkiness of the celestion 75 and they are better. He seems to have experience with that model.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude.. ask Solar (joe) what he thinks of the hm75. I remember somewhere he said they dont have the icepikkiness of the celestion 75 and they are better. He seems to have experience with that model.

Wasn't me Billy. I've never tried one.:)