Pickup Lesson. Feel free to ask questions

• Thread starter captcoolaid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktane

Reaction score
75's lack mids to my ears. I mixed some greenbacks with them (X pattern) and my cab sounds much better for my tastes. Now my 1960 has the highs & lows of the 75's with the mid punch of the greenies.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some searches today on other forums, as well as here and out of hundreds of posts I read I only found one post by a guy that said the high end on GBs drive him crazy, he described the same thing I'm trying to. I lost the post though and now I don't know where I saw it. Anyway, it's seems definitely I'm in a minority here, but at least I know there's at least one other dude out there that agrees with me, lol!

Billyblades

Reaction score
see ,,, no absolutes ...
the greenbacks are the "go to" tone speaker but your tinnitus is illin with them. hopefully u can find something to cure the ache. the 250k pot might help too.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Never absolute, too many variables...

Just for shits & grins today I tried the G12-H100 I got from Gibson67 a while back and :eek: ...it was pretty bad. :shock:

When I get this figured out I'm going to have a few speakers for sale...or trade. :naughty:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude I'm taking this low profile now and I'm not going to hijack this thread with speaker talk anymore. I'm on to something and when I get it settled you'll all know. I just got some killer info and I'm on a mission...Martystrat54 knows about as much about speakers as he does tubes. :naughty:

Billyblades

Reaction score
Let me know how it pans out for you. As far as the pkups go... im dying to hear your Asylums. They were my original choice. I cant stand a bright country ass guitar that twangs. People all say the paf is the way to go and on some things it is.
But

It just isnt "me "... :/

That Asylum in the video with the dude and the white les paul is it!
It was a plus 8 model. Bash your head in attack but still sounded like a guitar.

I actually have my maple capped lps in their cases and never use them because they cant touch the one with the 498t.

Rayne is sending stuff to record with. Im hopefull n waiting.

Im thinking after it all i will still be doing the Asylum based on specs but Rayne been talking to.me about his winder and how it works,,, he can.get hotter winds that still sound great and not sound like shit.

Rocktane

Reaction score
I find the Asylum+ A8 to be very versatile Billy. I think you will like it. Right now I have mine fairly close the strings (about 5/32) and depending on amp settings, it does hard rock to thrash with ease. (warm, tight, harmonic, & chugs) It also cleans up with the volume knob nicely. When I first installed it, the pu height was lower, 1/4" (or more) and this thing was very brown, even through a DSL. So, play around with the pu height and see how it responds for you. The guitar I have it in is limited because it's a direct mount and fine tuning with shims is a PITA.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Good stuff Roc! That model really spoke to me...

Rayne has been talkin about hotnes vs clarity and he has this new wind he? Wants to send me.
Its 26.8k and he said to use it in my floyd equipped guitar.
For now hes thinkin about calling it Miss Violence :)

Im kinda nervous to try it.

1... because i been on a paf kik lately
2... im wondering if its toooo hot n will lack some dynamics
3...it might turn everything i been learning upside down haha :D

Especially when i was thinking over 15k was too hot ..

Yikes lol..

Billyblades

Reaction score
Might be the absolute best thing ever too...?
In Rayne and everything the man touches sounds fukkin great!

So

Bring it on Pickup Master.
Im confident and want to be a believer man!!!

I cant be more ready!

thrawn86

Reaction score
Should call it the Crash Cart. Fits with his naming scheme.

Billyblades

Reaction score
I knew you")d like that SOLAR!! Dude,,, I fukked up with the" in the box" thing. My birthday was the 23rd n I was going to do it on the 24th at the last min. Got busy n it slipped from me..
I didn't want to take a pedal from anybody especially since I don't use 'em. lol
Seriously tho I fukked up my timing.

Billyblades

Reaction score
I worked lmao. I wanted off so bad. :) thats ok. I worked every birthday since 19.

I will take that opportunity tho n say. Hmmm, i didnt celabrate so i can use a new guitar excuse. See i got it down lol. Wish i was rich but i had to settle for talented and being the best lookin Gorillla there ever was hahaha.

Rayne... need some vids on that new humbuggy! Still waiting man.. any word on shipment?
(Damn gearnandude /jackblack) long as i dont say drz, sg or white coily cable :p

Dude
I want an Asylum 8 plus man. Let me know what you need to make it happen.

This miss violence better fukkin suck. I dont have enough guitars for your entire pickup line

Every pickup sounds so damn good. That p90 floored me listening to that.
Never liked p90 till i heard that.
Your pkups have a distinct midgrind /growl. Reminds me of my pit bull pulling tug of war style :D

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Okay got my lead wire in today and sat down and worked.. Got all sets done except for 2. God Damn new P-94 wind was calling ,my name. Gonna run it by you guys to see what you think. I like it 95% of the time but there is just something every now and then that reminds me it is a single coil. But maybe thats just me.

Gonna do the recordings tomorrow and decided to just wing it for the most part. Gonna do the clean vintag and gain stuff biut basically gonna just run through a bunch of shit and see what works and what does not.

Now for the P-94 this guy hits me up a few days ago and puts it to me. He wants a P-90 in a bucker format and is gonna do VH style stuff. So being the crazy bastard that I am 13.8k 43 PE with dual A8s and wouldn't you know it I did not have any raw nickel covers. So what do you do, well simple but a real pain in the ass. PCB etchent, and a lot of elbow grease. What he is getting is the rawest nickel cover ever. Absolutely no copper. Gonna rage that ****er tomorrow as well.

I sold my Marshall yesterday now I am amp shopping again. Crap