plexi 1987x so loud on 0,5 volume.

sammth

Reaction score
Hi,

ive got my new 1987x amp running through my 1936 cab loaded with one vintage 30 16 ohm and one gt12-75 16 omh. i put 2 speaker cables into my cab.
ive got the ohm switcher on the 1987x on 8 ohm, but when i roll the volume on 0,5 is so extremly loud en very noisy. i dont no whats happening. I do the same thing with my silver jubilee 50w and i can put the volume on like 3 or 4.

Does anybody now whats going on here?

lespaul6

Reaction score
Run the output master of the Jube on 10.. then use the lead master as your volume.. that should be getting close to your 87x… if the tapers are the same

lespaul339

Reaction score
I have a PPIMV on ym JTM 45. Love it. I couldn't imagine not having it for low volume practice playing or recording. The amp sounds great at low volumes. If you don't want to mod it, then an attenuator is the way to go.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@sammth, welcome to the forum!

The 1987x has what’s called a bright cap on the left volume control. It lets a lot of treble and upper mids through, even when the volume control is set low. If you need greater control, you can try plugging into the lower input, but these things get loud fast by design. You may need a post-phase inverter master volume installed, or an attenuator.

Good luck!

colchar

Reaction score
Hi,

ive got my new 1987x amp running through my 1936 cab loaded with one vintage 30 16 ohm and one gt12-75 16 omh. i put 2 speaker cables into my cab.
ive got the ohm switcher on the 1987x on 8 ohm, but when i roll the volume on 0,5 is so extremly loud en very noisy. i dont no whats happening. I do the same thing with my silver jubilee 50w and i can put the volume on like 3 or 4.

Um, what the hell did you think a 1987X was going to sound like?

dju

Reaction score
Why you put 2 speaker cables into the cab?
I'm wondering the same thing.
typically the 2 16ohm speakers would be wired in parallel giving you the 8ohm speaker load using only 1 cabinet input. are you running the cabinet in stereo? from the Marshall website it can be run in stereo or mono. however I didn't see any switches in any of the pictures I looked at.
1714507694158.png

sammth

Reaction score
@sammth, welcome to the forum!

The 1987x has what’s called a bright cap on the left volume control. It lets a lot of treble and upper mids through, even when the volume control is set low. If you need greater control, you can try plugging into the lower input, but these things get loud fast by design. You may need a post-phase inverter master volume installed, or an attenuator.

Good luck!
hi thnx for your answer, but will a attenuator effects the quality of the sound? and do you know which anttenuator is a good one?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi,

Dude it's a non master volume amp, I'm sure you knew that already, get an attenuator or install a ppimv.

RLW59

Reaction score
The 1936 has two switching jacks (the left hand jack has a switch built into it).

If you plug one cable into the right hand jack, it connects to both speakers in parallel.

If you use two cables, the right hand jack only connects to the right hand speaker and the left hand jack connects only to the left hand speaker.

The pair of output jacks on the 1987x are connected in parallel.

So one cable or two, it works the same way -- you'll have two 16 ohm speakers in parallel for a total 8 ohm load.

That type of switching jack is pretty reliable, but they can fail. If it fails, plugging one cable into the right hand jack would give you only one speaker. If you don't immediately hear that (actually easy to miss), you'd have the amp set to 8 ohms plugged into a single 16 ohm speaker. Not catastrophic for the amp, but not ideal.

If you use one cable and that cable fails, the amp no longer has a speaker load connected, which is very stressful for the amp. If you use two cables and one fails, the amp sees a reasonably safe mismatch.

So using two cables is redundant, but slightly safer with a 1936 than just using a single cable.

Last edited:

Marcomel79

Reaction score
hi thnx for your answer, but will a attenuator effects the quality of the sound? and do you know which anttenuator is a good one?
Can you solder and follow a diagram? If yes to both, there is a fantastic attenuator thats been developed by @JohnH here on the forum, that you can build yourself for about 150$. This thing works like a dream and retains the tone at any setting. Ive built two myself, and countless other have done the same with great results. Here is the link to the attenuator thread. You can ask any question there, and you will get great help!

Read the first page, all the info you need is on page 1. Good luck!

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Run a jhs black box in the loop until u get a proper attenuator or master volume mod. Throwing a pillow in front of speaker helps or aim cabinet toward the wall or simply put the amp in a different room. If you're creative u can remedy the issue

william vogel

Reaction score
Unplug from input 1 volume 1 and plug into input 1 volume 2. Much better! Clip the bright cap and carry on. When you get to where you can turn it up it’ll still cook without the bright cap.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
you guys act like you know for sure that he's an experienced player & Marshall guy. Maybe this is his 1st amp... ever :shrug:

In that case, you can't expect him to have the knowledge that many of us, in here have.

& if he's not an electronics tech, he probably won't understand clipping bright cap's, etc...

Maybe the OP can tell us his experience level, how long he's been playing, how many amp's he's owned (& what) & if he's an electronics wizard... :)...

then you guys can rouse him...

:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:

Latest posts