Plexi volume boost for leads?

• Thread starter ledvedder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyo

Reaction score
I played my Plexi for the first time last night at band rehearsal. Overall, it sounded ok. I'm still trying to get it dialed in to where I have a good overdrive tone with a good amount of cleanup when I roll back the guitar volume. It also seemed like a constant fight between too bassy and not enough bass. But my biggest issue is that leads just seemed to disappear in the mix. I've always boosted the lead volume through an effects loop, but the Plexi obviously doesn't have one. I had both a Boss SD1 with level up, gain down, and an EQ pedal set to frown with level up. I also tried using the guitar volume, but since I already have the amp dialed in with overdrive, raising the guitar volume just seemed to increase gain, not volume. Nothing seemed to really cut my leads up in the mix. Looking for some suggestions.
Maybe invest in a switching pedal that can give you A/B and A+B. And do something like this:

Or get a Boss LS2 and set the first output lower than unity gain to underdrive the amp. Use this as your rhythm tone and wind back guitar volume for cleans. Then switch to the second output at unity gain for your lead tones and a jump in volume.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I have tried many volume boosts for my old Marshalls including a 74 MKII NMV 50 watter and the one that works best with the least colloration is the Xotic RC Booster. Its one hell of a pedal once you master it. and the other channel can be used for added grit if needed. Problem solved and no modding required!! I use my with 18 V's adding more clean headroom when going for louder boosts with very little tone changes. Here is the link:

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Other than that, with the plexi already pushing the power tubes there isn't much room to go higher

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Just sayin'.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Someone is driving down the middle lane for your leads and won't change lanes to let you pass. When they do, you will zoom by instead of being bottlenecked by them. It could be just a matter of using their pickup selector while you do your thing.

Neptical

Reaction score
This is where having SPACE in the jams is EVERYTHING - whether it's working the room and/or working the other players.

Also, let me recommend the TC Mini Spark for when you want to pop in and let the world know what's up. Fantastic at what it does.

playloud

Reaction score
Sounds like the canonical use-case for a treble booster!

Edit: this is really good advice though:

I should also ask are you the only guitar player or more than one? Reason I ask is whenever Ive been in bands with other guitarists I always tried to carve out a different sonic place than the other player. Like if they were playing strat type guitars Id use a les paul and vice verse. Also helps if you use different amps like Id play a marshall and the other guitar player would play a boogie or peavy. Different speakers can help too. Heck even tubes lol.

Even if you have the same amps/guitars, there are useful tricks. Gorham and Robbo both used LPs and Marshalls in Thin Lizzy, so they'd do the "cocked wah" thing to differentiate.

matttornado

Reaction score
I always struggled with my old Superlead cranked. No headroom left for volume increase. What I do now is send a line level out ( David Bray LO-1) into a clean boost then into the FX return of a 1x12 combo amp (power amp only). Sounds and works great! You can boost your leads as loud as you need to cut through. Certain Delays and reverbs sound amazing here as well. My TC Electronic HOF does a great job adding some wetness to the dry Superlead tone.

That ended up being my only solution as I tried all of the recommendations mentioend above it the past.

No boost, OD or EQ would do the job, they all just added gain going into the front of the amp. I guess they would all work if my amp was turned up to 2 or 3 but I turn my volume up to at least 7 to get the sound I want.

Oh and simply turning up your guitar's volume won't work as you'll get that advice too. LOL

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
here's the schematic from John. It would be best to discuss your build with him in the thread. I'd be concerned a 50W attenuator may not be enough for a 50W Plexi, you might have to build it for a higher wattage.

full
When you engage the footswitch no pop or noise, totally quiet and seemless? I have 100w, 50w, 20w and 15w amps I want to use it with.

donwagar

Reaction score
I didn't notice any pop or noise, but I can't say I was listening for it.

I did switch the resistors to -3.5dB (R7-R8) as I thought that was enough of a boost.

Rather than putting a 9v battery in it (to power the LED), I added a plug to run it off my power supply.

Again, with those higher wattages, you better talk to John.

I think it's the perfect solution to adding a kick in volume.

peterplexi

Reaction score
I played my Plexi for the first time last night at band rehearsal. Overall, it sounded ok. I'm still trying to get it dialed in to where I have a good overdrive tone with a good amount of cleanup when I roll back the guitar volume. It also seemed like a constant fight between too bassy and not enough bass. But my biggest issue is that leads just seemed to disappear in the mix. I've always boosted the lead volume through an effects loop, but the Plexi obviously doesn't have one. I had both a Boss SD1 with level up, gain down, and an EQ pedal set to frown with level up. I also tried using the guitar volume, but since I already have the amp dialed in with overdrive, raising the guitar volume just seemed to increase gain, not volume. Nothing seemed to really cut my leads up in the mix. Looking for some suggestions.
That's because a huge part of the plexi sound comes from the power section being overwhelmed. In that state no boost placed anywhere will give a lift. Best option is to use a Fryette power station 2 with seperate channels/level boost.

ledvedder

Reaction score
I didn't notice any pop or noise, but I can't say I was listening for it.

I did switch the resistors to -3.5dB (R7-R8) as I thought that was enough of a boost.

Rather than putting a 9v battery in it (to power the LED), I added a plug to run it off my power supply.

Again, with those higher wattages, you better talk to John.

I think it's the perfect solution to adding a kick in volume.
Who is the forum member that makes these attenuators?

CLBuck

Reaction score
Reliable Marshall fix for decades…a good treble booster. Been running my ancient JCM900 on channel 2 with enough gain for crunchy rock, yet cleans up pretty good with guitar volume…need to lead, kick on the treble boost. It has a fixed (hot) signal so running a volume pedal right after allows for adjustments on the fly. I use a Fryer. Carl Martin also makes a pedal called the Plexi-Ranger which works quite well also.0C4CF888-83B0-4E23-BD04-7FDD324C7D2B.jpeg