Plimsoul rocks

• Thread starter dexter74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

medicjg

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks that Mike Fuller is such a dick. I would never buy anything from him new. I was not expecting a whole lot with this pedal but it has certainly been a pleasant surprise.

mtm105

Reaction score
I have OCD, which to me is QUINESSENTIAL tone. I play low volumes cascading OD. In OCD channel I have Tonebone Hot Brit. Hot Brit is OK, I alternate between OCD and Tonebone on same channel. I haven't bonded with the Tonebone like I have OCD.

I also have Pinnacle in other channel. It's OK. But again, I haven't bonded with it like I have the OCD. I am leaning towards Plimsoul based upon theses reviews on this same channel. Or Tonebone Classic (?)

I've been reading up on ZVex. But it's distortion. I like OD.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I spent some time with a plimsoul a month or two ago and it was really nice! Much better than the OCD. I'm still waiting to try a Fulltone 3.

medicjg

Reaction score
I spent some time with a plimsoul a month or two ago and it was really nice! Much better than the OCD. I'm still waiting to try a Fulltone 3.

I agree to me it's a much better pedal than the OCD no comparison really. I have an FDII which I like as well. The PS is the best Fulltone pedal I have played through thus far though.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Not to change the subject, but has anybody tried the Soul Food? Its a nice OD pedal and its dirt cheap at $66. Definitely worth a try, I like that one too.

medicjg

Reaction score
No but from what I understand it's a Klon clone. Supposedly you can upgrade th e components and it makes a damn nice pedal. The Rockett Archer is an high grade component Klon that is ready to go out of the box. I have a Bondi sick as overdrive which is a Klon clone wi th an active bass and treble pot. It has been my favorite OD for a long time. But man I don't know this Plimsoul has really made an impression on me. To me with the second stage dialed down it is reminiscent of a Klon circuit. Plus being able to blend the soft and hard clipping just makes it bad ass.

dexter74

Reaction score
My Plimsoul update: Sadly, I ended up selling the Plimsoul within a year after I gave it a glowing review. Not sure what changed, but after awhile it starting sounding very harsh, brittle and metallic to me. Seems like it really needed to be run at 18v and even then it sounded weird. Or maybe it needed to be played at higher amp volumes than I was able to give it. I got a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod, which I still have, and it works well for me, and even sounded good with the C5 (which I sold later to get higher wattage amp). Lastly, Fulltone's inability to answer any product questions was a bit disconcerting as well. Most pedal companies are a bit more accommodating (an understatement) to the people that buy their stuff. And I say this in jest, but Fulltone is the "Soup Nazi" of the pedal world.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My Plimsoul update: Sadly, I ended up selling the Plimsoul within a year after I gave it a glowing review. Not sure what changed, but after awhile it starting sounding very harsh, brittle and metallic to me. Seems like it really needed to be run at 18v and even then it sounded weird. Or maybe it needed to be played at higher amp volumes than I was able to give it. I got a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Mod, which I still have, and it works well for me, and even sounded good with the C5 (which I sold later to get higher wattage amp). Lastly, Fulltone's inability to answer any product questions was a bit disconcerting as well. Most pedal companies are a bit more accommodating (an understatement) to the people that buy their stuff. And I say this in jest, but Fulltone is the "Soup Nazi" of the pedal world.

Tastes change man, what can you say!

Wiley Coyote

Reaction score

For no-nonsense pedal makers, Keeley and Wampler both make great products and stand by them and their customers. With Fulltone you bought it, you're stuck with it.

Wiley Coyote

Reaction score
With the Plimsoul combining two circuits in one, soft clipping ala (Tube Screamer) and hard clipping (Distortion) together, it would be a no go for me. I don't use Distortion pedals anymore and the Fulltone Plimsoul, OCD, and RTO pedals are inherently darker sounding to my ears than other comparable pedals.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRQnUIZk38[/ame]

Kutt

Reaction score
I purchased a PlimSoul last year after trying it out in-store, where it sounded good. Got it home and could not dial in the same sound, despite having LOTS of quality gear of my own. Then I noticed a subtle, *non-musical* buzzing/clipping sound "riding" over the primary signal as the Stage 2 dial went further clockwise. It begins immediately as I start to dial in Stage 2 from its 0 setting and gets progressively worse.

So I emailed Fulltone and CC:ed Mike Fuller regarding the unfavorable clipping sound. He was polite overall on the first 2 replies, though questioning me and speaking down to me like I had just started playing guitar a week ago. Then it got ugly. I won't go into details but suffice it to say that that PlimSoul was my 9th Fulltone pedal, all of them purchased brand new, and it sure as hell will be my last. I will let them sit in their boxes before I will even sell them as I don't even want to help spread his brand. He will not hesitate to go on the offensive with zero provocation and personally attack you.

It was said on this thread previously, but to say that Michael Fuller is a dick is a colossal understatement. He relishes the title, oddly enough. If anyone reads this and is thinking about anything Fulltone, look elsewhere. There are many, many brands out there today that excel compared to the products he's putting out. This was not the case for a number of years when he built his reputation for good pedals, but it's a different age now.

Latest posts