POLL: AFD or YJM

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ynot

Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of that JCM. I have owned a small box 50 1987 and pushed it with an OD. However, this "New" model appears to deliver yet something more than what I have ever gotten out of a stock 1987 or 1959 tone in addition to the Power Scaling and built in NR etc...

@ about 7:15 the amp begins to display qualities that I have not been able to squeeze out of a Marshall as of yet. Super Smooooooooth.

YJM 308 & 1987x.

slash07

Reaction score
Malmsteen's my favorite guitarist, and though a HUGE part of his tone is in the fingers.
The YJM100 sounds awesome in the videos.
I already pre-ordered the AFD & I'd love to get the YJM too. Still far into the horizon.....

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
AFD100 because Im already quite happy with my 1959 sound.

Username2

Reaction score
You want heavy marshall tone?

JVM!

While there is no doubt a 100 watt JVM is heavy as hell, the YJM has even more gain on tap and more bottom end. Some players may like that others not.

People need to quit watching these videos with the amp attenuated down to 12 watts or less. its like a test drive in a new SRT but the dealer makes you drive the speed limit. Then the guy in the back seat says that the car didn't impress. I have heard it wide open through a 1960BX and it is all that. Dial the EPA to 10, and dime the front end with the boost engaged then tell me what Marshall has more balls. I haven't heard it yet.

The AFD is also really a great amp, while many owners are finding their way with #34 the AFD is something really special. Neither is better then the other, really comes down to what your ears tell you.

With only 1500 units worldwide for the YJM I am not sure what the availability is today, many already preorded them.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with my 2210, David!!
I actually thought of selling it a couple of months ago... And I'm glad I kept it...
Don't you have a good Bassman for the more mellow stuff?

Yeah, the bassman is for the clean.

@ Nuke: I didn't know that the YJM is a LIMITED run. I thought the AFD was limited and that the YJM would be available until Marshall decided that it was no longer worthy of production. But I guess that does make sense. :)

Username2

Reaction score
Yeah, the bassman is for the clean.

@ Nuke: I didn't know that the YJM is a LIMITED run. I thought the AFD was limited and that the YJM would be available until Marshall decided that it was no longer worthy of production. But I guess that does make sense. :)

When the amp was introduced at NAMM 2011 production numbers were TBD. It was recently acknowledged by Marshall that production numbers were set to 1500 worldwide. Giving the popularity since its launch I heard that some countries have already sold their allotments, that information was not from a good source though.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Key Lime Cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory, or "FIRE" from that other place!

Serious question though, would everyone consider this to be a "high gain" head?

IMO, yes. I could use this in a high gain requirment. Similar to my 2210 with the OD pedal in front but that is how I run all of the saturated Marshalls. I actually prefer that combonation over my sons Diezel. The diezel needs no OD pedal but the Marshalls with the OD built in or otherwise has a certain punch and clarity that provides the definition I need to be content as a lead guitarist. Just sayin'. :)

David

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
IMO, yes. I could use this in a high gain requirment. Similar to my 2210 with the OD pedal in front but that is how I run all of the saturated Marshalls. I actually prefer that combonation over my sons Diezel. The diezel needs no OD pedal but the Marshalls with the OD built in or otherwise has a certain punch and clarity that provides the definition I need to be content as a lead guitarist. Just sayin'. :)

David

You just pointed out exactly why you own an 800. A boosted 800's tone is absolutely unmatchable, everyone tries, but fails, epically!

On another note, That's basically what he has made here, a boosted JMP. He took his old DOD pedal and built it into the front end, added Digital Verb, A Digital Gate, and attenuation (much like line 6 technology WO all the fancy LED readouts), Wha-lah, YJM100.

my question is this, why do all of you love these kinds of heads like the YJM, and the AFD, when they are just a copy of a JCM900DR? they are all SS driven front ends yet you all clown the 900DR, HYPOCRITES? (your excluded David, you own two, or did anyway :) )

Riddle me that batmen?:hmm:

richieG

Reaction score
I am gonna get flamed for this and get called a Luddite. Go hard, I have my fire proof Y Fronts on.

Keep in mind, this is just a personal opinion.

The amps that these are based on are both vintage amps. Simple, sound great.

I see the added technology as a potential tone killer, but more importantly, who is going to be able to repair these things in the future if the bias thing goes south. Will they be like a computer in that if it blows up we simply swap out the whole "motherboard". Before you poo pah this thought think of the 6100's. If the midi circuit gets cooked, you are fucked. There is no parts, you are stuck with a one channel amp. Also PCB mounted tubes sockets are prone to being problematic as time passes.

I also like JCMJMP's comments re: the biasing. I agree with that 100% as well.

Now, I am not against progress. But it just irks me that Marshall's first 2 efforts at these new type of amps are using iconic players with iconic tones based on Vintage amps. It seems a bit..... misleading or something.

I dunno... I would much rather get a 800 and a 1987 and an attenuator and an eq pedal to tweak the tone. I mean you are never going to sound exactly like your guitar heros, anyway,

I suspect that these amps are really aimed at the home user weekend warrior types and garden variety guitar geeks. Thats cool as well. But I won't be buying either.

That's just what I think.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
out of the two and what i've heard i like the tone of the YJM better. i like the concepts but, i think a 2205/2204 is in my nearer future.

gtrman

Reaction score
Both for me ....
I've owned a Jmp 2203, Jcm 2203, 2204, 2203x and Jubilees ... all great amps.
I love the JCM800 crunch and theres nothing like it ... still the AFD has it's own tone & juice that I find very appealing.
I did not buy the AFD to sound like Slash .. I just love how it sounds.
Plugging in a Les Paul ... it kicks ass ... maybe not for everyone .. but I sure like it.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I can't believe NR wants to buy an amp based on a YouTube vid.

Username2

Reaction score
On another note, That's basically what he has made here, a boosted JMP. He took his old DOD pedal and built it into the front end, added Digital Verb, A Digital Gate, and attenuation (much like line 6 technology WO all the fancy LED readouts), Wha-lah, YJM100

Do you actually believe what you just wrote. Man if only you knew just how wrong you are. Who keeps you guys straight around here from this kind of BS. I am not going to waste my time explaining it. :wtf:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Quote:
On another note, That's basically what he has made here, a boosted JMP. He took his old DOD pedal and built it into the front end, added Digital Verb, A Digital Gate, and attenuation (much like line 6 technology WO all the fancy LED readouts), Wha-lah, YJM100

Do you actually believe what you just wrote. Man if only you knew just how wrong you are. Who keeps you guys straight around here from this kind of BS. I am not going to waste my time explaining it. :wtf:

What did he forget? Mojo?

1987 50w ALL THE WAY!!!

CAPDUNN

Reaction score
YJM.
RitchieG. The midi circuits are repairable now in 6100's and the parts needed are affordable. The 6100 has proven to be a vey reliable amp and one f Marshall's greatest!

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Both for me ....
I did not buy the AFD to sound like Slash .. I just love how it sounds.
Plugging in a Les Paul ... it kicks ass ... maybe not for everyone .. but I sure like it.

Closet Slash fan boy. I bet you have the Gibson Slash & Gibson Snakepit guitars too.