Pots and Tone

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I know that different value volume pots change guitar tone, but do different value tone pots change tone too? I have an LP and an SG with the same pickups, the SG tone is a bit darker, pretty sure the volume pots in the SG are 300-330k and not sure what the tone pots are, and all the LP pots are 500k. So my question is, do I have to replace both volume and tone pots in the SG or just the volume pots to brighten the tone to be more like the LP?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Reading around suggests that Tone pot values affect tone in the same way Vol pots do.
Higher values are more trebly.

It also seems that 'No-Load' pots have a minimal effect with 500k, but are more noticeable with 250k.
The No-Load indent position effectively takes the pot out of the circuit.
But a 500k @ 10 sounds almost the same.

I think I would probably prefer 'No-Loads' on Vol and Tone, as I always leave them at 10 anyway.
The indent would stop them creeping, or being accidentally turned.

That's a lot of re-wiring though, and I'm too lazy. :slap:

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I know that different value volume pots change guitar tone, but do different value tone pots change tone too?

Effectively, no. By the time you have about 250-300K resistance (pot at full resistance), there's practically no signal to speak of going to ground. The further you roll it back, the more you bleed (and thus the duller the tone becomes). Focus on the volume pot, as that makes the difference.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel that lower value tone pots soften a pickup’s resonant peak, making them have a bit less ‘cut’ to their tone. The only evidence I have of this is having modeled pickups in circuit simulators and watching what heavier loads do to the frequency response.

If you want to do an easy experiment to see if changing the tone pot will brighten your SG, try just lifting the tone cap off of the tone pot. This will take the tone control out of the circuit, and you can see how much the tone brightens.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Sounds like if I replace my 300k volume pots with 500k that should brighten up both pickups then, and dont worry about replacing the tone pots. :yesway:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
If you don't use the vol pots much you could try the old nail varnish trick.

21fret

Reaction score
Being in the circuit, potentiometers are a type of adjustable resistor. Like a 250k or 500k resistor, but the value is adjustable or variable.
Not treble bleeds, but taming trebly humbuckers by lowering pot values, I’ve done that and shaves off those unwanted highs. Good results on some guitars.
Having a no load tone pot is cool too, since it passes the signal through without any filtering, if you needed a brighter tone bypassing the pot itself.

Some guys go log volume and linear tone depending on the guitar (and their rig).

freefrog

Reaction score
Yes, the value of tone controls matters because passive pickups have their resonant peaks limited by the overall resistive load of pots.

If the 125k load due to two 250k pots sets the resonant peak @ 4dB, this peak rises @ 13dB with a single 1M volume pot (or with this 1M volume + a no load tone control). Not negligible.

To know the overall resistive load of several pots, enter their value in a calculator like this:

Then watch the effect of various ohmic loads (IOW: resistive loads) in the figure 14 of this page:

FWIW. HTH.

ampeq

Reaction score
RS Guitarworks has everything you need and can tell you just what to do. I use their vintage DIY kits with paper in oil caps, 500+ pots, already soldered together ready to go. They come on a plate ready to drop in, just pick what kind of guitar you have. They have modern kits and separate parts as well. Their pots are some of the best around, check them out.

JohnH

Reaction score
A few things need confirming ....

At max settings, both volume and tone pots have equal affect on the brightness of the high treble.

No-load pots work as tone pots, it's a good way to add brightness, and you can always turn them down. The varnish trick could also work on tone pots. But neither is any good on Volume pots, which need three lugs to be connected.

I had two 250k and two 300k pots on my LP. It sounds much nicer with all standard 500k's.

Last edited:

Latest posts