preamp boost or eq?

• Thread starter Skelly76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skelly76

Reaction score
Hey all. I have been lurking on this site for a while now and learned a lot from everyone. This is my first post here. I recently picked up a 1990 4500 dual reverb (El34). I got it as a backup for my dsl 100 but it was kinda weak. Had it retubed and cleaned all the contacts and it got a lot better. Still wasnt quite there. Even sounded kinda nasty with my ts9 in front. And yes, i was jumping the loop. Had an old behringer preamp boost laying around so i threw it in the loop and wow!!! Suddenly it sounds like a marshall! At the risk of offending anyone, I kinda prefer it to my dsl now. I was considering an mxr 10 band eq and was wondering if you guys think that might give me better results. My guitar is a les paul studio and style is hard rock/punk bordering on metal. Just thought I would get some opinions before dropping over $100 on the mxr. Thanks in advance!

gemather

Reaction score
Have you ever tried an Electro Harmonix Graphic Fuzz?
You can ad dynamics and sustain, jiggle with more overdrive,
find your sound with the 6 band EQ and give th whole thing
15db boost.
http://www.ehx.com/products/graphic-fuzz

Electro harmonix can do metal and punk too, believe me.

jack daniels

Reaction score
Depends upon what you're shooting for, more boost or more tonal sculpting than you currently have eh? Sure EQ's can be used as a boost but, do you need an EQ? If so, then get an EQ.

For whatever reason I haven't used or needed an EQ in years, and as some have alluded to here in posts, their EQ pedals sometimes sit and go unused. I can see myself using one if I amplify 1) An acoustic, 12 string, or dobro/resonator OR 2) A signal chain of effects that require overall EQing. Other than these two scenarios, I don't need them.

Skelly76

Reaction score
I should also clarify that I am not going for a super high gain scooped mids metal sound. I want a good solid crunch with a good amount of mids and punchy low end. I really like the b channel on the 900, it just needs a little help to give it some nuts. The boost helped a lot, but I would also like to add a little more midrange. I run the gain a on the amp a little past noon and that gives me just the right amount of distortion, and push it with the ts9 for leads. With the boost running, the tube screamer seems to do its job a lot nicer now.

Skelly76

Reaction score
I have to admit, my behringer pedal sounds pretty good, but the build quality is absolute shit. Its barely seen any use and its got serious cracks in the housing. My old drummer got it new for 20 bucks so i didnt really expect miracles.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I should also clarify that I am not going for a super high gain scooped mids metal sound. I want a good solid crunch with a good amount of mids and punchy low end. I really like the b channel on the 900, it just needs a little help to give it some nuts. The boost helped a lot, but I would also like to add a little more midrange. I run the gain a on the amp a little past noon and that gives me just the right amount of distortion, and push it with the ts9 for leads. With the boost running, the tube screamer seems to do its job a lot nicer now.

either the Boss GE-7 or MXR 10 band & hump the mids (frown face) w/ the output slider boosted up.
kinda like this as a starting point-
ge7_web.jpg

Last edited:

Skelly76

Reaction score
I had the ge 7 years ago that i tried using as a lead boost in the front of the chain. Results werent good lol! I have been searching my house, but it may have been lost in the move. If i have to buy again i will prob get the mxr as i recall the boss was kinda noisy. That also could have been the way I was using it too.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken (and I may be) the eq pedals have a level switch which does act as a boost, so you sorta get both effects in the same pedal. The eq can really tighten it up and give you more in whatever spectrum you choose (low/mid/high) I think it would be a good investment.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Skelly.

A DR does like some boost up front. But everybody has different tastes.

Something tells me a Boss SD-1 might be right for you.

Could provide tones that are a bit more rock/punk than what a tubescreamer type pedal will provide.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
The "Boston" tone is essentially an MXR 6 band with some funky settings on it into a cranked Marshall with some reverb and delay goodies behind it.

EndGame00

Reaction score
If you're looking for a boost that doesn't color up your base tone, try the MXR Micro Amp Boost.

I used to have a Maxon 808, now I use Sonic Edge Thumbleweed Boost/Comp for the lead tone.

Kladen

Reaction score
I have a 4101 DR and a 2500 mkIII and both of them loves my Carl Martin boost kick :) the DR especially on channel A when its dimed :)

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
I had the ge 7 years ago that i tried using as a lead boost in the front of the chain. Results werent good lol! I have been searching my house, but it may have been lost in the move. If i have to buy again i will prob get the mxr as i recall the boss was kinda noisy. That also could have been the way I was using it too.

Yeah the Boss is pretty noisy, but it's fixable. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can eliminate the noise problem for around $10 worth of components.

http://www.marshallforum.com/tone-zone/76950-boss-ge-7-hissssssssss.html

Since I fixed mine it works great as an up front boost.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you know what you're doing Skelly.

I have a Boss EQ in the loop of my 4100, set almost exactly as in the pic that blues posted. I.e. the frown.

But with a DR it can be good to drop the highest slider (6.4k) down.
(People say the DRs can make too much treble if you're not careful.)

(The GE-7 did need the 'please shut up your hiss' mods.)

I don't play metal tones neither. I use my 4100 for covers mainly.

The consensus view here is that with most Marshalls you would use a tubescreamer (or other overdrive) up front just as a boost - i.e. crank up the level but don't use the drive.

Contra that, I find with the DR a little drive with my TS clone is very good. Works well with both channels too.

Meanwhile...
How do you find the low end with your DR?
Seems that lots of people find the DR lacking there. Personally, I find that my one has loads of bass but I think I'm the exception - and perhaps particularly lucky with that.