• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Preamp Tubes comparison using a 5150 III

c_tecks

Reaction score
I've done a comparison using three different sets of preamp tubes.
Now in this video I've switched the first three preamp tubes, which are used for channel 1 and 2 of the EVH 5150 III.

Channel 3 isn't used in this video (it uses preamp tubes 1,4, 5 and 6).

Does anyone have an idea what the "Mesa Chinese 1" tubes are?
Couldn't find any info about those.

Anyway, what do you think of the difference in sound and what is your experience with replacing preamp tubes? As mentioned in the video, I think the difference is a bit overrated.
Also would like to mention that the sound 'in the room' wasn't really different too.

StingRay85

Reaction score
So you compare CP with CP with CP. And then you say investing in tubes is overrated. LOL

:shrug:

I think there's also some kind of consensus that the higher gain tone you're after, certainly with relatively new amps, the less influence the tubes make. There are some other nice comparison videos on 60s-70s preamp tubes where it is more clear that they can actually make a difference e.g. in the classic Marshall circuits.

:cheers:

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Of course swapping around preamp tubes is overrated, but I agree with @StingRay85 that if you are going to take the time to do a test you should use a wide variety of different age/types of tubes lol. Preamp tubes make a difference in sound and feel, just not as big a difference as folks gush about on these boards. Lots of confirmation bias when you drop $40-200 on one preamp tube. But they do make a difference, esp the old stuff

I can’t watch a vid right now, what tubes were involved in your test?

VladSRB

Reaction score
I agree with StingRay
Did a comparison myself sometime ago, not recorded tho
I dont have many CP tubes, maybe 3 or 4 (EH, Sovtek and JJ I think), but gathered a decent stash of NOS glass over the years, mostly European made (Mullard, Miniwatt, Ei, TFK, RFT, Tungsram, Valvo...)
Didnt bother with comparing CP with NOS, only compared NOS ECC83s, and was quite amazed with sonical differences between them

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Yeah I've "rolled" CP tubes and found they only vary in brightness if anything.

I admit I got bored and realized my '50s GE 12AT7 makes an unmistakable difference in the PI slot.

This would be a more valid test with vintage production tubes.