"Pro"wireless WHOA!!!!!

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing these used a lot in "pro" rigs and this is actually an older one-

Shure UR4D Dual UHF Receiver - TAI Audio

that's a cheap price because most I've seen go for around $2800-$2900.

Tommy Thayer has 2 & Billy Joe Armstrong has 3.
JEEBUS!!!!
that's a lot of coin tied up just in wireless.:wow:

Reactions: JAC

shredless

Reaction score
I still like that Line 6 G50 !!
killer wireless imo !

Please take this as unoffensive.....

Did you actually test several....at least four or more popular wireless systems before concluding that the relay is the best?

I ask this because, I keep getting reminded that the L6 Relay is the best you can get right now....

Now my thoughts are this, its just hype and internet regurgitation...
line 6 products get ragged on all the time, yet here they have the best wireless all of a sudden.

I was recommended the L6 from 2 different salesman...I think someone is being paid or incentivised to push them, then the people who get roped in by a salesman are then saying they are the best...again, if you have evindentiary scientific data to back up your claim, Im interested:lol:

Ugly Duckling

Reaction score
Please take this as unoffensive.....

Did you actually test several....at least four or more popular wireless systems before concluding that the relay is the best?

I ask this because, I keep getting reminded that the L6 Relay is the best you can get right now....

line 6 products get ragged on all the time, yet here they have the best wireless all of a sudden.

I was recommended the L6 from 2 different salesman...I think someone is being paid or incentivised to push them, then the people who get roped in by a salesman are then saying they are the best...again, if you have evindentiary scientific data to back up your claim, Im interested:lol:

Jumping in.
I have had the old Nady wireless in the 80's/90's and Shure The guitarist Wireless. Both had their problems but the Shure was the best of the two.

Then I went cable for a couple of years before I got the Line6 G30.

The G30 is miles above both the old Nady and the Shure The guitarist.

With the Line6 G30 there is absolutely no tonal difference between my best cables and the Wireless. I think it is because the G30 is digital and the older systems where analog.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm....
I've been debating this one for the dual transmitters & cost effectiveness compared to an extra transmitter for the Line 6 G series-
WMS40 Mini Dual Instrumental Set | Search | AKG

Carrier frequency range 660 to 865 MHz
Modulation FM

looking @ frequency ranges the AKG unit is WELL above FM,VHF,& walkie talkie ranges. it could pick up UHF(300 MHz-3GHz) but the Line 6 could also @ 2.4GHz.

I guess neon sign interference would be the ultimate test.:hmm:

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
I've used shure, senheiser, carvin, nady, line 6, ansr audio, etc. My favorite is a tie between the Sabine digital rack mount that recharged the body pack ( came with 2) on the rack, and the line 6. Any time you use spread spectrum, line of sight is your only issue. Keep a clear l8ne of sight, no issues. I wish Sabine still made the dual digital recharge unit. The line 6 is great because it fits on my pedal board AND can be powered by my 1 spot or pedal power. As with all things, "best" is up to the user. FWIW, the carvin unit had the best, most durable, body pack. If they go digital, I will buy again.

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
Oh...I used to rep for the REALLY company that makes the lower - mid mics and wireless for all of the companies I listed. The senheiser and carvin units are IDENTICAL under the chasis.

sgstratdude

Reaction score

They get ragged on because of all the spider amps and modeling processors that don't come anywhere near the real thing. Come on.... that new Amplifi amp that you can control with an Ipod? Gimmick. I will admit they make more toys than serious equipment.

My G50 wireless unit on the other hand is the best wireless unit I have used and tried under 1300 bucks. And it cost me 350 on sale. Metal casing. Receiver that is the size of a pedal and can be powered by a pedal power. NINE hours of battery life. It can go through walls and far enough where there is a delay in what you play and what you hear from my amp. That is far enough for me! Gigged it steadily and use it everyday and it has never dropped out. Not once.

If I had to be picky I'd say the ONLY downside to the unit is the cable/plug that goes in the guitar can be considered flimsy. I made my own with Mogami wire and a Neutrik jack. I LOVE IT!

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
They get ragged on because of all the spider amps and modeling processors that don't come anywhere near the real thing. Come on.... that new Amplifi amp that you can control with an Ipod? Gimmick. I will admit they make more toys than serious equipment.

My G50 wireless unit on the other hand is the best wireless unit I have used and tried under 1300 bucks. And it cost me 350 on sale. Metal casing. Receiver that is the size of a pedal and can be powered by a pedal power. NINE hours of battery life. It can go through walls and far enough where there is a delay in what you play and what you hear from my amp. That is far enough for me! Gigged it steadily and use it everyday and it has never dropped out. Not once.

If I had to be picky I'd say the ONLY downside to the unit is the cable/plug that goes in the guitar can be considered flimsy. I made my own with Mogami wire and a Neutrik jack. I LOVE IT!

I could not agree more !!

The G50 is one of the best sounding wireless units around , and for 350- 400$ that is not a bad price imo ... I do not own one myself , but i have used them a few different times and was very impressed with its performance !! It was just like using a cord ... :yesway::yesway: If i was playing live again on a regular basis , i'd lower the boom on a G50 faster than yer Mom in a room full of sailors !!:lol:

I'm thinking that Line6 should get out of the amp business , and stick to wireless systems , the G50 is the best sounding product i have heard from them imo ....:hbang::hbang::hbang:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Because maybe it actually is that good? :lol:

Shit, it's not just Line 6, but most digital wireless units will kick the shit out of analog wireless units, be it Sony, Shure, Audio Technica, etc.

Also, Line 6 didn't design the Relay system, it was done by a company Line 6 bought out.

It's not an internet conspiracy, digital wireless units are damn good.

JAC

Reaction score
Because maybe it actually is that good? :lol:

Shit, it's not just Line 6, but most digital wireless units will kick the shit out of analog wireless units, be it Sony, Shure, Audio Technica, etc.

Also, Line 6 didn't design the Relay system, it was done by a company Line 6 bought out.

It's not an internet conspiracy, digital wireless units are damn good.

Line 6 was recently purchased up by Yamaha as well.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
the one signed project i was in back in 06 had me using one of those hugely expensive SHURE wirless units at first (as well as a rack setup i couldn't stand but that was mostly because it was dialed in like the founder wanted and not what i wanted lol) but i know this is controversial here of course, i think the line 6 wirless (the top 2 versions) are ebtter. they sound every bit as good as a high end mogami or the MONSTER rock series "professional (rolls eyes) 25ft or less cables (i mean we quad blind tested as well as A/B'd and every time we and our friends picked the wirless over the "wire" regarding a few cables medium to high end). and i couldn't stand the shure wirless that was a top of the line wirless. i tried the new ones too and still the only ones i think do it well ar ethe line 6's but i haven't tried ALL of them of course lol. i'm sure there are some that are as good or better tonaly out there i just haven't found them yet.

i miss endorsements :(...... having a line of amps and guitars (picks, cables and strings etc at cost or sometimes much less like the strings and picks were free of charge and i would get huge bags of the picks, like 1000 a pop rofl) was really nice. though i would not use those picks anymore i still often use schecter and 99.9% of the time still use the SIT's (though i no longer use the steels simply because i would rather have stainless frets on the guitar to use them but they were killer strings. amazing thick biting tone and the feel was unique in a positive way.....) i now use power wounds which aren't as nice but still last FOREVER, only got one dud pack once and i knew it was a dud before they broke....they were exposed to the elements and suffered some oxidation due to the shops misshandling not the SIT company). i mean i play a MINIMUM of 1.5hrs a day every day and as long as i clean my strings those power wounds can last for 6-8 months no joke. they do darken up as any string does after a few hours but they don't go all rubber band sounding for well over 6 months if maintained well. now if i didn't clean them i'd be changing them a couple times a week like every other string i've used but cleaned they seem to last way longer..... not sure why. and i like their consistency and of course that they're local boys and do it by hand (and i'm partial to the fact that they endorsed me being that i'm a nobody lol). i probably couldn't get schecter again though i think once i start this other project i may be able to get some guys onboard again as it will be regular paying gigs but i don't know until i get there...

Reactions: JAC

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
My Samson SR-1 has made it through 4 brick walls and at least 200-300 feet and didn't breakup at all. No joke. I wish I had more of those things. I love them.

lol. way way back in the day I had the Nady 49R wireless when they were new on shelves & that thing could go 100 yards line of sight.
now,interference & tone suck was another story.
mJbpLSxxFayfgtNrZa3W1PQ.jpg

I have a 501 in my junk box now that was given to me but I think it got wet before I received it.

Latest posts