Ranking My Current Od Pedals With 2203x And 2555

• Thread starter dptone5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dptone5

Reaction score
Was thinking about selling a few OD pedals to thin the herd a little. Not that I didn't already know this, but wow, it's amazing how much different an OD pedal can sound pushing a different amp.

For the sake of simplicity, I am just going to show my very subjective rank of each OD pedal when it pushed the front end of either my 2203X or 2555. Running through a 1960BX with 25 Watt Greenbacks and a 1960B with well worn G12T-75's and Classic Lead 80's in an X-pattern. Guitar is my Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS with an EVH Humbucker in the bridge.

What I am evaluating is overall tone as it relates to:

a. Is it pleasing to the ear?
b. Is the EQ balanced?
c. Is it articulate as opposed to muddy - clarity of the notes?
d. How do chords sound? Can you hear the notes or does everything run together?
e. Do the lead notes sing on the 3 high strings and are they clear with bite on the lower 3 strings?

I know this is very subjective, but here is how I would rank them based on what I am hearing...

JCM 800 2203X

1. Xotic BB Preamp
2. Ibanez TS-808
3. Xotic SL Drive
4. Xotic BB Preamp Comp (Custom Shop)
5. Boss SD-1 (Monte Allums GT Mod)
6. Paul Cochrane Timmy V2
7. Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet

Jubilee 2555

1. Xotic BB Preamp
2. Xotic BB Preamp Comp (Custom Shop)
3. Xotic SL Drive
4. Ibanez TS-808
5. Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet
6. Boss SD-1 (Monte Allums GT Mod)
7. Paul Cochrane Timmy V2

Note that the normal orange Xotic BB Preamp was the top performer with both heads. There was some movement in positions 2 - 4 with the BB Preamp Comp and TS-808. The TS-808 sounds more open and alive with the 2203X and more compressed and less lively with the 2555. The BB Preamp Comp has a very sweet and smooth tone with the 2555 and it sounds less lively with the 2203X.

There was also some changes in the bottom 3 depending on the head. The SD-1 was always better than the Timmy, but the Fulltone was significantly better than both with the Jubilee. The Fulltone is very boxy and mid-heavy and I think the tone has changed quite a bit since I first bought the pedal (??).

Each situation is unique and as a guitarist, its all about finding out what combination gives us the tone we are hearing in our head. Overall, I really like the tone, dynamics and articulation of the Xotic pedals and the TS-808 is a really great classic pedal.

I guess if I am going to thin the herd a little, the bottom 3 on my list will be the ones I will sell. I really want to record with the other 4 before I decide which 2 will reside on the pedalboard and which 2 will be kept on the bench waiting for the right day to be played.

For right now, the BB Preamp and SL Drive are on the pedalboard. Based on this analysis, maybe it should be the TS-808 or BB Preamp Comp joining the normal BB Preamp, depending on which head gets played more......

It was a fun exercise!!

DP

Last edited:

Gianni

Reaction score
This is really useful, mate! Thanks for taking the time to do and share! :yesway:

dslman

Reaction score
Give the MXR M77 a shot , think you'll like it.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
A significant amount of players on here praise the Xotic BB Preamp.
Gonna have to do some research into that one.
Thanks for the post.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Was thinking about selling a few OD pedals to thin the herd a little. Not that I didn't already know this, but wow, it's amazing how much different an OD pedal can sound pushing a different amp.

For the sake of simplicity, I am just going to show my very subjective rank of each OD pedal when it pushed the front end of either my 2203X or 2555. Running through a 1960BX with 25 Watt Greenbacks and a 1960B with well worn G12T-75's and Classic Lead 80's in an X-pattern. Guitar is my Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS with an EVH Humbucker in the bridge.

What I am evaluating is overall tone as it relates to:

a. Is it pleasing to the ear?
b. Is the EQ balanced?
c. Is it articulate as opposed to muddy - clarity of the notes?
d. How do chords sound? Can you hear the notes or does everything run together?
e. Do the lead notes sing on the 3 high strings and are they clear with bite on the lower 3 strings?

I know this is very subjective, but here is how I would rank them based on what I am hearing...

JCM 800 2203X

1. Xotic BB Preamp
2. Ibanez TS-808
3. Xotic SL Drive
4. Xotic BB Preamp Comp (Custom Shop)
5. Boss SD-1 (Monte Allums GT Mod)
6. Paul Cochrane Timmy V2
7. Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet

Jubilee 2555

1. Xotic BB Preamp
2. Xotic BB Preamp Comp (Custom Shop)
3. Xotic SL Drive
4. Ibanez TS-808
5. Fulltone Fulldrive II Mosfet
6. Boss SD-1 (Monte Allums GT Mod)
7. Paul Cochrane Timmy V2

Note that the normal orange Xotic BB Preamp was the top performer with both heads. There was some movement in positions 2 - 4 with the BB Preamp Comp and TS-808. The TS-808 sounds more open and alive with the 2203X and more compressed and less lively with the 2555. The BB Preamp Comp has a very sweet and smooth tone with the 2555 and it sounds less lively with the 2203X.

There was also some changes in the bottom 3 depending on the head. The SD-1 was always better than the Timmy, but the Fulltone was significantly better than both with the Jubilee. The Fulltone is very boxy and mid-heavy and I think the tone has changed quite a bit since I first bought the pedal (??).

Each situation is unique and as a guitarist, its all about finding out what combination gives us the tone we are hearing in our head. Overall, I really like the tone, dynamics and articulation of the Xotic pedals and the TS-808 is a really great classic pedal.

I guess if I am going to thin the herd a little, the bottom 3 on my list will be the ones I will sell. I really want to record with the other 4 before I decide which 2 will reside on the pedalboard and which 2 will be kept on the bench waiting for the right day to be played.

For right now, the BB Preamp and SL Drive are on the pedalboard. Based on this analysis, maybe it should be the TS-808 or BB Preamp Comp joining the normal BB Preamp, depending on which head gets played more......

It was a fun exercise!!

DP

Hi DP. Is the BB Preamp on all the time on your board or just when you need a boost ?

dptone5

Reaction score
Hi DP. Is the BB Preamp on all the time on your board or just when you need a boost ?

I am loving it with my Jubilee. For rhythms, I generally leave it off unless I am playing some heavier 80's stuff, then I turn it on. For lead work, I almost always turn it on.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered one. Especially since I read that it can be used as an overall tone shaping device at the front end of the board. Over You Tube it sounded great on all settings and it's popularity with players on this board clinched the deal!

dptone5

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. My other guitar player friend just bought one and is loving it. Throwing other pedals off his board!!

wakjob

Reaction score
Again, just last night I pulled out my BB Preamp and was fooling around with a new amp/cab setup...

...I just don't like it as a clean boost pedal for an already driven amp. There are so many other pedals that do that better.

The BB works best for me as a standalone clipper into a completely clean amp.

dslman

Reaction score
Again, just last night I pulled out my BB Preamp and was fooling around with a new amp/cab setup...

...I just don't like it as a clean boost pedal for an already driven amp. There are so many other pedals that do that better.

The BB works best for me as a standalone clipper into a completely clean amp.
I had a similar exp, I was excited when I got it and then found it very thin and brittle pushing a dirty amp.
No question that DP is getting good results from it though, his clips always sound nice.

dslman

Reaction score
Thanks dslman. Here is the only clip I have right now with the BB. I think it sounds great with the Shawbucker equipped Strat.

DP

Reaffirms what I said, sounds great DP, thanks for posting that.

Latest posts