• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Recommend a phase inverter for a DSL 50

• Thread starter jball1985
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jball1985

Reaction score
I've recently started collecting and rolling vintage tubes in my DSL 50, and must say it's definitely worth it. I've got every preamp position spoken for tube wise except for the phase inverter. Although this sounds killer as it is set up now, I would like to hear what tube resides in V4 of your DSL.

So... Please lay out some suggestions for a phase inverter. Preferably vintage production, but NOT Mullard expensive. I just don't want to drop that kind of cash as of yet. If you insist on a current production PI tube then that's fine.

Whatever you suggest, please be very specific. For example, if suggesting a Sylvania... what size plate, black or gray, year of production (if significant in accordance to build/sound quality).

Here is what I'm using now,

V1- RCA branded Tungsram 12AX7
V2- RWN Neuhaus/RFT ECC83
V3- JJ 12AX7
V4- EH 12AX7

V5&6- Tung Sol EL34B

I also have a couple of RCA gray short plate 12ax7a's, and (1x) Raytheon 12AX7A black plate which I've rolled into V3-V4. I'm just not sure if its the best fit, however it could be I just haven't had enough time to play around with it. V1 is settled though.

I've done the usual mods to my DSL 50 including a choke and OT. I run it through a closed back 2x12 loaded with Scumback 65 watt M75 LD speakers. Strat, Tele, but mostly a Les Paul. I play mostly blues, classic rock, hard rock, some older metal.

Last edited:

dslman

Reaction score
Re: DSL 50 phase inverter

I have a mesa 12ax7 in mine LOL, I just got it recently and haven't had a chance to start rolling yet.

Ken

Reaction score

I have the EH just like you do. I'm quite pleased with it, but if find something better please share!.

Ken

Marshallmadness

Reaction score

I have been using RCA long grey plate 12ax7's in a few of my amps and absolutely love them. I have a JMP 2203 and I run two RCA long black plate 12ax7's in V1 and V2. I actually rolled a few of the RCA's through the PI slot and listened real hard to each one. I was surprised that i could actually hear differences. I left the one in there with the most balls and tight low end. You might have the same experience with the DSL rolling several tubes in that position. I have a DSL 100 with four of the JJ ecc83 gold pin tubes and it sounds killer so I never messed with it. It's not RCA good but a step above average current tube sound for sure.

jball1985

Reaction score
So far I've tried a RCA 12AX7A 14mm and an RCA labeled EI (Yugo) 12AX7 17mm smooth plate.

The RCA had some static in the V1 position so I figured I'd try it in the PI, it was extremely noisy on the ultra gain channel and would feed back constantly. I guess I got burned on that tube :squint:.

The EI was great, awesome detail with tight bass, I need to compare this with my Raytheon and see which wins.

Not only was this tube great in the PI, but it was absolutely drop dead bad ass in V1 with the gain and volume cranked on the first red channel. Killer crunch. The tube had no microphonics, and dead quiet. With certain tubes in V1 I find the red channels too flubby and rounded, imho this tube cured that problem. I'm going to have to find some more. I scored on this tube, it makes up for that lemon previously mentioned.

So far my preference for current production is still an EH, although I could try a Mullard cv4004 in there that I have. It looks like the exact same tube as the EH, though the plate material might be different. I also have a used Sovtek LPS I'm going to compare.

So its down to the EI, Raytheon BP, Sovtek LPS, or back to the good ol' EH. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Never had a DSL but a telefunken smooth plate is about as good as it gets in a pi slot on amps I've had.

Latest posts