Recommend speakers for a 1965 cab

• Thread starter wallythacker
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wallythacker

Reaction score
All good things come to those who wait. Or something like that.

After a fair wait I scored a mint 1965 and matching mosfet 100 head. The price was right too.

A week later I got the top cab from another seller. So I now have the stack.

Here's my question. I like the sound hope never to trash a speaker. But weird things happen in life.

What other brand speaker sounds the closet to the Celestions in my cabs?

thanks

dreyn77

Reaction score
None.

seriously, they have a hybrid 50/50 cones. half wool half paper and NO other speaker cone is like that out there.

I knew an industry pro and he said he'd never seen cones like them before.

wallythacker

Reaction score
Thanks dreyn77, that was my fear. Irreplaceable speakers. Let me guess. Celestion has disc'd repair cones for this speaker as well.

Well, it's not like I don't have other cabinets sitting there simply as parts or spares. I guess my hunt for 1965 cabs isn't quite over. Let me restate. My hunt for the speakers from 1965 cabs isn't over.

Speeddemon

Reaction score
I would personally (as I have the same cabs) entertain the idea of Celestion Vintage 10's and maybe combine 2 of those with either 2
-Eminence Legend 1058 (very warm/neutral speaker)
-WGS ET-10 (the 10" version of their G12-65 clone; the ET-65).

Reaction score
A friend of mine asked Celestion (Dr. Decibel) the same question when he accidentally put a screw driver through one of his G10L-35's and they recommended the G10N-40 as a current model replacement. Personally, I think the recommendation comes more from a power handling capacity than a tone-for-tone match, but I've never heard the G10N-40's. I know Orange uses them in their 10" combos and one other amp manufacturer that I can't remember does as well.

BowerR64

Reaction score
I find my mosfet lead 100 rather thin sounding threw a 4X12

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Ya Know,
A lot of folks aren't fond of the G10L-35's and I've seen them go pretty cheap on the bay. I suggest you keep an eye open and simply grab a couple/few as spares. One of the aspects that I love about these speakers (and apparently most difficult to match) is their rather low efficiency rating. Another cool thing is that the finish (or possibly lack of it) on the frames of these speakers, tends to look splotchy and corroded, even on good ones, and people who don't know any better think they are possibly faulty! Almost any other 10 inch that you mix with them will likely stand out as a little louder.
Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
Gene