Recording w/o speaker load

• Thread starter tresmarshallz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Has anyone struggled to find an inexpensive way to record silently into a console etc without a speaker/cabinet attached?
I stumbled upon a very cheap method and thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking to do the same.

I found a 100W non-inductive dummy load resistor from an online web site for 15 bucks. I just wired that up to a male mono plug and plug it into the speaker output and wa-la, then I can use the recording output on my tube amp for silent recording with no speaker cab attached!

If your amp doesn't have a recording out jack then you would obviously also have to get a DI box or something similar also which could be had for about 40 bucks I think.

Frodebro

Reaction score
If you're running a 100w amp into it you'll want to be VERY careful with the volume. A 100w tube amp, when pushed hard, can put out almost double its rated wattage. Remember-just because it's loaded down and you can't actually hear the volume doesn't mean that the amp isn't generating a lot of power.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
That's a great point, I had a tech mention that to me when I was inquiring about that type of dummy load. They do also sell a 200W dummy load resistor for twice the price to be safe.
Instead of buying the 200W one I just use the 1/2 power switch on my head, most 100W heads have that type of power reduction option. And obviously if its a 50W head you would likely be fine also if you didn't completely crank it wide open.

keennay

Reaction score
If you value your 100W amp, I wouldn't go inexpensive.

The Suhr Reactive load is an excellent tool for this application.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I understand the skepticism, I mean for something that is 15 bucks seems crazy.
I found a ton of articles online where people are making their own load for this purpose by putting heavy resistors in series. It seems to be a matter of math to me, techs use those all the time servicing amps don't they?.
I think as longs your amp wattage is about half of the wattage as it will handle I think it would be safe. I mean if it starts heating up then I would be worried, but it ran cool as a cucumber when hooked up to my Bugera running in 60W mode into that 100W dummy load.

Frodebro

Reaction score
The earliest commercial attenuators (Sholz Power Soak, Marshall Power Brake, and THD Hot Plate) were basically banks of resistors with a few extra bells and whistles added on.