Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

• Thread starter Sledge Johnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sledge Johnson

Reaction score
Well, there's also another take, I guess. Brought to us by the Rev. BFG:

hqdefault.jpg

Neither Dusty's bass nor his guitar were damaged. I saw an interview once where he explained how he saw something that was in fact damaged by flood or so and liked the design. Billy talks a lot, but I think that was roughly what he outlined.
For some reason this keeps reloading and I cannot edit the othe posts !
Anyway rig-rundown ,BFG tech said those guitars had been 'wrapped' with a print of some barn wood that BFG liked.... or something to that effect IIRC ymmv

PelliX

Reaction score
For some reason this keeps reloading and I cannot edit the othe posts !
Anyway rig-rundown ,BFG tech said those guitars had been 'wrapped' with a print of some barn wood that BFG liked.... or something to that effect IIRC ymmv

Ha, yeah, they're wrapped indeed. Don't remember him saying that, but it says so:

"The new designs are called the “Peeler” guitar and bass, because of the paint-peeling look, which is a laminate sticker design that was inspired by the peeling finish of a ’56 Precision bass that was damaged in a flood."

So they sort of had the Facelift(tm) before Rick and Mike did it: http://www.guitarfacelift.com/shop/facelifts.php

First one is Rory's Strat.

At the bottom of the page you can (when in stock) order the Tele decals for Rick and Francis' Teles. Which were... relic'd before it was a thing. Rick's was blue with a white pickguard. He painted it white himself and "engineered" a curve in the body for his right arm. Apparently the black on the pickguard is some kind of black clingfilm which he wrapped around it. Francis's was a sunburst which he painted black. Then he sanded down the back and front and painted the front green. Neither of them appeared to have been expert painters...

So, let that sink in... a decal... depicting a relic'd look. I like the Facelift as a product, though; I have the Union Jack on one of my Tele's....

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I wonder if someone will develop a device that mimics different canine dentition with appropriate pressure points and sell it to relic makers. Like pull out the bulldog false teeth and put in a poodle set and then stamp the guitar.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
It's all Keith Richard's fault. Fender sent him a CS Tele and he said it was (paraphrsing) "great, but it looks too new. Can you knock it around a bit?"

And THAT was the seed for Fender starting the whole relic craziness.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
It's all Keith Richard's fault. Fender sent him a CS Tele and he said it was (paraphrsing) "great, but it looks too new. Can you knock it around a bit?"

Actually, I think that myth has been busted. It started slightly less eventfully in the 80's (or early 90's) with Fender CS making replicas for artists. Somehow it caught on (that is to say, someone saw potential), and they presented a few at NAMM. Big interest from there on...

Maxbrothman

Reaction score

Keith was like, "make it more match to look like me."

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
You triggered me.

Nothing makes me laugh longer or harder than "rugged 1 percenters" who are so dedicated to a specific product brand (Harley Davidson stands out) to such an extreme extent that they literally will decorate their vehicles, their homes, and even their bodies with anything and everything HD. I've BEEN in houses where they have a billiards table...and it's the HD special edition. The toilet seat is HD branded. The toilet PAPER is HD branded. The silverware, glasses, plates, and cookware are HD branded. Sheets, blankets, pillowcases, all HD branded. EVERYTHING HD from floor to ceiling. The truck outside is the Ford F150 Harley Davidson edition. Any thing they own that isn't HD branded is that way simply because there is no HD branded version of that particular item.

It's an extreme form of consumerism, and to me it's definitely a cousin of factory relic'ed guitars.

While I am fan of vintage Harley Davidson such as pans and knuckles...

Some people just go nutty with the merchandise aspect of it.

Me and dad had that exact conversation the other day. I asked him what was up with a Harley Davidson F150???

It's a "motorcycle edition" pickup. The more I think about it, the more confused I become. They charge a lot for an emblem and some stitching on the seat!

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Yeah Triumph did a Gibson motorbike recently. Errrr....

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Everybody is different. One person's tastes and preferences are in no way "better" than someone else's.

Man...someone that finally makes sense on the internet!

I been screaming this for years. There is high quality and there is low quality. There is no best anything. This applies to cars, guitars, amps, women or whiskey. Or literally anything....

What somebody enjoys using could be considered the "best" for them. That's because it works for them.

It's like me with the vast majority of Strat's. Especially with small necks and the 7.5 radius. I just do not gel with them that great. They aren't "bad" by any means. They happen to work for lots of people that have made really good music with them.