Reverb Listing: Marshall Super Lead 1968

• Thread starter echoplexi1974
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ljs

Reaction score
I think seller got some bad rep around here. Not sure that answers your question but…

neikeel

Reaction score
On first pass it looks ok but some odd features.
The amp looks to be 67 spec Superlead (or Superbass) going on the resistors and caps, however the mains is a Dagnall (should be a T2562) and the OT is also a Dagnall (should be a C1999) although the choke appears to be an early RS 20H (need better pics). The Screens to PI droppers are of the later 68 type (two vs single 8k2) as are the filter caps.
Head box is 68-69 spec (wide vent) logo is white not gold.
To be this spec the serial number would normally be SL/10500 (+/- 100) range in neat fine font, not the blurred course stamped smudged 12xxx range. The 33k bias feed resistor is early spec (vs later 27k)
The mustard codes would be interesting. I don't recognise all the names on the label.
So not saying it is not what it purports to be, just unusual features
Would love to hear @TAZIN, @Ned B and @StuC opinions.

TAZIN

Reaction score
Looks pretty good at first glance. I see the bias caps & network have been updated. As neikeel pointed out, someone used slightly different resistor values (33k instead of a 27K and a 10K instead of 15K). The front panel switches have been replaced and so has the Speaker jacks on the rear panel. One octal socket has been replaced too. Updated screen-grid resistors for the octal sockets. The bridge rectifier has been replaced also. The rest looks good. The choke does look like a RS 20H which is a bit odd but with Marshall anything is possible.

It is an early '68 build Super Lead with the "Bass" circuit which is not that uncommon.

AlfaQV

Reaction score
I just bought this amp on reverb. Wish I had checked here first because it was listed as "all original with minor service components changed" but I'll probably still go through with the purchase as parts can be changed if I really feel the need.

I do, however, want to change it to the correct "Lead" circuit. Is that a difficult or expensive task?

playloud

Reaction score
I do, however, want to change it to the correct "Lead" circuit. Is that a difficult or expensive task?

Please don't do it.

Three reasons:
1. The "bass" spec Super Leads are more unusual/special than the later spec.
2. You'll devalue the amp by changing it - possibly significantly. It will look to some like you were trying to "cover up" the original spec, even if you use period-correct parts.
3. The current spec probably sounds better :) (Just my opinion, of course)

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Please don't do it.

Three reasons:
1. The "bass" spec Super Leads are more unusual/special than the later spec.
2. You'll devalue the amp by changing it - possibly significantly. It will look to some like you were trying to "cover up" the original spec, even if you use period-correct parts.
3. The current spec probably sounds better :) (Just my opinion, of course)
Totally agree here... never mod a vintage amp... the Circuitry and valves and diodes on 60s Superleads and Bass models are very much the same. Just the EQ settings on the pots were altered to change them to more lower frequencies. Hendrix used bass models as he prefered the overall frequency response.. you could even use the PA model as a guitar or bass amp. They were all just the same power valves, EL34 or 6L6. Sorry I forget now, I am getting old 😪

AlfaQV

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I'll play it first and see how I feel about the tone. Certainly don't wish to harm any vintage equipment. I tend to keep vintage amps as original as possible or restore them to original spec.

Once I've heard it I'll start a new thread if I have questions or concerns about the amp.

TAZIN

Reaction score
I just bought this amp on reverb. Wish I had checked here first because it was listed as "all original with minor service components changed" but I'll probably still go through with the purchase as parts can be changed if I really feel the need.

The phrase "correct lead circuit" isn't accurate since Marshall was producing both specs (split-cathode & shared-cathode) during this time frame. Hopefully you'll like the tone and feel of the amp in its current state making any circuit alterations un-necessary.

Petejax1234

Reaction score
How much did you pay for this one if you don’t mind me asking?

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Here is mine. 10550. It's not perfect but it's all there for the most part. It's voiced for my attack and I mostly use it with single coils because of all the headroom. Humbuckers honk pretty good too but it's not aggressive by any means. When I saw the amp in question on Reverb that serial number matched with the circuit baffled me? Then when I read Neal's post it confirmed what I was thinking. Some sort of factory Frankenstein.. Makes sense. I have seen all kinds of weird sht that they did and I am sure many of you have as well. Especially with cabinets.. They were drinking on the job for sure! Marshall 1967 SB Chassis Top SM.JPGMarshall 1967 SB Chassis SM.JPGMarshall 1967 SB OPT.JPG

janalex

Reaction score
Just remember that Song Remains the Same (provided you’re a zeppelin fan) was a super bass as were many other stage amps for famous bands. Albeit may have already had kt88 tubes by then. That frequency response rocks just as hard and Page’s #1 amp was at some point converted to superlead specs when someone put in the effects loop and apparently he totally hated it. Now it’s back to super bass specs with a replaced output transformer salvaged from another plexi. Just fyi. Give it a solid chance.

AlfaQV

Reaction score
How much did you pay for this one if you don’t mind me asking?
Asking price was £6500
I paid asking price. Last 12000 series I tried to buy the guy wanted $45,000. It was pristine, one owner, but no f-ing way. I've been searching for a 12000 series for years so I decided just to pull the trigger on this one

AlfaQV

Reaction score
Just remember that Song Remains the Same (provided you’re a zeppelin fan) was a super bass as were many other stage amps for famous bands. Albeit may have already had kt88 tubes by then. That frequency response rocks just as hard and Page’s #1 amp was at some point converted to superlead specs when someone put in the effects loop and apparently he totally hated it. Now it’s back to super bass specs with a replaced output transformer salvaged from another plexi. Just fyi. Give it a solid chance.
I will absolutely play around with it for a while before deciding anything about it. As I mentioned earlier, I always try to keep vintage amps as close to original as possible. The 12000 series has always been alluring because of its association with EVH and that's the tone I'm looking to get from this amp. There are many other factors to Eddie's tone (namely his hands and skill), of course, but I know the amp is a part of that equation

Blue Floyd

Reaction score

Source?

Joethebh

Reaction score
Here is mine. 10550. It's not perfect but it's all there for the most part. It's voiced for my attack and I mostly use it with single coils because of all the headroom. Humbuckers honk pretty good too but it's not aggressive by any means. When I saw the amp in question on Reverb that serial number matched with the circuit baffled me? Then when I read Neal's post it confirmed what I was thinking. Some sort of factory Frankenstein.. Makes sense. I have seen all kinds of weird sht that they did and I am sure many of you have as well. Especially with cabinets.. They were drinking on the job for sure! View attachment 127864View attachment 127863View attachment 127865
Hey sweet amp. I have 10568. Is your OT stock?

donkost

Reaction score
I will absolutely play around with it for a while before deciding anything about it. As I mentioned earlier, I always try to keep vintage amps as close to original as possible. The 12000 series has always been alluring because of its association with EVH and that's the tone I'm looking to get from this amp. There are many other factors to Eddie's tone (namely his hands and skill), of course, but I know the amp is a part of that equation
Good luck on your journey, I really mean that. Most people do not have an opportunity to chase his tone with an actual 12000 series. I was a second year guitarist in a Beatles tribute band when that first album was released, and I was stunned to say the least. Almost hung up the instrument. I saw them open for Sabbath at the Spectrum in Philly. I did not feel that his live tone was like the first album, but there was a lot of post-production work on that album. He could of course nail any recorded guitar part live, and even faster / better if he felt like it. The man was truly an alien being. ;)