Ritchie Blackmore

• Thread starter spooky joe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I could care less about trying to qualify who is and who is not a "guitar hero" (I've outgrown that juvenile high school crap a long time ago). Instead, I feel that either THEY ARE great musicians or THEY ARE NOT. For me, Ritchie Blackmore is one of the finest musicians ever = great guitar player, great song writier, great performer/showman.

Last edited:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
His tone on the 1974 California Jam DVD in Mistreated is just amazing.

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
Not sure that YouTube can do it any justice.
As a side note personally, I was never a big fan of the Coverdale / Hughes (MkIII) lineup.
The band took a funky approach at times, which is why Balckmore ultimately departed to form Rainbow. Also Glenn Hughes periodic squealing vocals was a bit too much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvC5tTTaogI]YouTube - Deep purple-Mistreated[/ame]

custom53

Reaction score
My favorite album is The Book of Taliesyn from 1969. Ritchie still played Gibsons and the writing was fantastic. In addition I really prefered Rod Evans on the vocals. I was five years old listening to it with my Pop.

I have a couple of DVD's with Ritchie playing later in life and his ability to execute live suffers. He seems to cop a bad attitude a couple of times and throws a drink on a stage hand at one point. Really turned my off on what I concidered to be a Guitar Hero as achild. Oh well.

Rod Evans after Purple... Captain Beyond... I liked them but we always called the a Deep Purple clone band...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AIszddHZEs]YouTube - Captain Beyond - Dancing Madly Backwards, Oct '72 - HQ Stereo DUBBED VIDEO[/ame]

And with Purple MKI... (at the Playboy Mansion)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAP4uj_w_0&feature=related[/ame]

another one...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INpEUFnBBlQ&feature=related[/ame]

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
I recall hearing of a dispute regarding Rod Evans using the name, "Deep Purple" while on tour in the 70's. To my recollection, only a few shows where billed as such before legalities put and end to that.

Cheers, Barrie.

custom53

Reaction score
Not Blackmore but this guys is amazing... He does a lot of "virtual Zepplin" songs...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-CaNnJZ8B8&feature=related]YouTube - Lazy[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ri3CgHmDk&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0xYzhjISys[/ame]

motorhead_6

Reaction score
I prefer to be sort of a rebel but I would be lying if I didn't say that Blackmore is my favorite guitarist of all time. I love everything he ever did until Blackmores Night which completely sucks. I still respect him for everything else though. He did a lot of great stuff besides Deep Purple. His best lead playing is in Rainbow in my opinion but none of his playing is anything less than great.

I really like the solo in Child In Time from Made In Japan a lot. And I have seen the one on youtube with the Gibson and he is ripping it up. I saw him with Rainbow 4 times and one time with Deep Purple and he looks like he was born with a guitar in his hands.

He always played those low end Stratocasters. I always thought that was strange. Ritchie Blackmore playing $350.00 CBS 3-bolt Stratocasters. He made them sound great though.

Hardlovinman1970

Reaction score
While there are many terrific guitarists in the world, there are only a few who make music that stirs my soul. Jimi Hendrix, Uli Jon Roth, and Yngwie J. Malmsteen are all tops in my book, but Ritchie Blackmore is without a doubt my number one favorite guitarist and all around musician. I thoroughly enjoy, wonder and marvel at the man's virtuosity and absolute mastery of the electric guitar. His tone, phrasing, and heavily eastern influenced lead runs continue to confound and inspire me to this day. Unlike a lot of Blackmore fans, I love every phase in Ritchie's career, from Deep Purple MKI to Blackmore's Night. I think Blackmore's Night is a wonderfully original breath of fresh air in today's music scene. Surprisingly enough, Ritchie did not care for the sound of a stock Marshall amplifier. His favorite amp in the early days was a Vox AC30. Ritchie used Marshalls for many years but they could hardly be considered stock amps. However, Marshall amps are my personal choice:)

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
Judging by your login name, I'd bet you are partial to the Deep Purple In Rock release. It's certianly one of my top favorites.

Hardlovinman1970

Reaction score
In Rock is one of my favorite Deep Purple albums, with Hard lovin' man being my favorite track on the album. I would say that I like Fireball just as much though. In Rock was such a vast and HEAVY departure from the first three MKI releases which had a more psychedelic sound. Don't get me wrong, I loved the MKI years, but MKII is definately the classic lineup in my opinion.

motorhead_6

Reaction score
Before Blackmores Night he was using a brand of amp that I can't think of what it is called for shit. It is not Marshall though. I wish I could remember. When it finally comes to me I will post it.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Before Blackmores Night he was using a brand of amp that I can't think of what it is called for shit. It is not Marshall though. I wish I could remember. When it finally comes to me I will post it.
Engl.

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
In Rock is one of my favorite Deep Purple albums, with Hard lovin' man being my favorite track on the album. I would say that I like Fireball just as much though. In Rock was such a vast and HEAVY departure from the first three MKI releases which had a more psychedelic sound. Don't get me wrong, I loved the MKI years, but MKII is definately the classic lineup in my opinion.

There wasn't a bad track on any of those LP's !!! Amazing stuff after all these years. Everthing gelled so well with that (MKII) line up.
What's your take on the re-union of that classic line up in '84?

Cheers, Barrie.

Hardlovinman1970

Reaction score
Barrie, I thought Perfect Strangers was and still is absolutely brilliant! I can't think of a bad track on the record. I would say that " Son of Alerik", which was a bonus track, is my favorite song on the album. As far as songs with vocals go, I would have to say that it would be a tie between "Nobody's Home" and "Perfect Strangers" I'm really surprised how good Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore played and sounded together, both on the record and live, considering how much they hated eachother.:(

jcmjmp

Reaction score
There wasn't a bad track on any of those LP's !!! Amazing stuff after all these years. Everthing gelled so well with that (MKII) line up.
What's your take on the re-union of that classic line up in '84?

Cheers, Barrie.

Perfect Strangers is another great DP album. Great writing and songs. Its another one of those albums that you can listen to from beginning to end.

I saw them for that tour in '84. They were LOUD.

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
I really liked "Perfect Strangers" and "House of Blue Light" ... Purple was back in form for those.
BTW... I was going thru my LP collection and I have 2 copies of "In Rock", one of the regular North American release and a German import.

Cheers, Barrie.

Attachments

• June5-10 004.jpg
    June5-10 004.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
I love everything he ever did until Blackmores Night which completely sucks.

Until you've seen it live, you have no idea how "completely" the Blackmore's Night stuff sucks. In fact, it redefines "suck" on a cosmic level.

Ritchie has, over the years, been one the very few you can actually make the arguement that he was "the best ever". Unfortunately, his ego (it's beyond the textbook definition of that term, really) has made him do some things that were brash and impulsive, maybe, but it always seemed to work out and produce something great. This minstral idiocy just doesn't figure, at all. I don't care how many years it's been since he recorded Machine Head and how much respect he has for music from the middle ages; Zeppelin respected that stuff, too, they just didn't go off the deep end with it. Seriously, I cannot trace any reasonable path that takes someone from Highway Star to any and all that Renn Fair crap.

Irving Plaza, October 29, 2009; it took me a week to get over it and only I stayed for the first 25, maybe 30 minutes.

Latest posts