Ritchie Blackmore

• Thread starter spooky joe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spooky joe

Reaction score
You guys probably done this before. But hey......
Ritchie is my personal guitar hero.
As a naive spotty teenager imagine the shock and awe i experienced as I put Made in Japan on the turntable.
Highway Star.... my introduction to real rock'n'roll. Thunderous:headbanger:
The roar of the Marshall Major although he did like the VoxAC30

The tone , the fluidity of his phrasing ,the vibrato , wild use of the trem bar, and the spontaniety and humour , and tecnique. What tecnique too , amazing for the early 70's.
The first real shredder ( he used to practise Flight of the Bumble Bee relentlessly according the the book Black Knight )and he retained the passion and soul of the blues.

Where do you guys think he stands in the Rock'n'Roll hall of fame.
I think he has been criminally neglected and under-rated in favour of lesser talented but friendlier guitarists:naughty: ( No names mentioned )

Whats your fave Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore's Night tunes? / solos / albums?

Cheers for listening:wave:

sojatriani

Reaction score
I think he pioneered a sound that he never fully got credit for. His style was unlike anyone else but it wasn't so over the top that it stood out. I think Yngwie took alot from Ritchie and went full neo-classical, but Ritchie was more of a traditional player with the classical influence and I love his playing. His bands just never had a string of popular songs and that is why I think he isn't more noted in the mainstream guitar world. But who gives a f*&k about the mainstrean guitar world, Ritchie was one of the first shredders and will always be the father of the whole shred style of playing in my opinion. Top ten all time, no doubt....

Magnum

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Ritchie Blackmore is just my role model as well. I'm preparing an article about the RB gear for the Hungarian Blackmore's Night fanclub, altough I have lots of information, I do not clearly know, what marshall amp did he use. It is clear that he had one boosted up by Jim and the techs for 200Watts, but is there any more detail like the model number he had boosted up? And there is the white cabinet solution he used in the 80s and 93(for example on Come Hell or High Water DVD)...what about that one?
Do you know something?
Thanks!

MrBlues1985

Reaction score
Awesome stuff. Im delving deep into the whole purple rainbow at the moment. Thanks to the mother bringing me up on the stuff.

Mase947

Reaction score
There are a lot of killer tracks done by deep purple. You just have to dig deep into their archives to find them. I got bored listening to the hits of course, but when I delved into their deep tracks, I found a new respect for them.

Magnum

Reaction score
As Roger Glover said "AT the time the trend was not to be trendy for us. An I guess we did it quite well." (something like this)
Hits are hits on Vinyl you can get tired of smoke on the water or black night (but never highway star), but live, they can turn it into a completely not hit song with all the joy and fun in music (from rock to blues). You really can spend the time of forever in the archives, bootlegs, concerts and you can never get bored due to the creativity and atmoshpere they can change in a song in two different nights on the same tour. Made in Japan is the most fabulous example for this. If you have the 3 cd collection you can hear almost the same set 3 nights in a row. Some track are so identical that you would say it is just like the next part of the last night show, others are completely different like they would do on whole separate tours in time. Marvellous creativity and improv from all 5 members...

lisfty

Reaction score
One Tree Hill dvd

One Tree Hill is a teen television drama filmed in North Carolina and created by Mark Schwahn that premiered on September 23, 2003 on The WB Television Network. The show continued to air on The WB until May 3, 2006 as it was announced that the network would merge with UPN to form The CW Television Network. The fourth season began airing on The CW on September 27, 2006 and the show continues to air on Mondays at 9/8C. On September 1, 2008, The CW started airing the sixth season of One Tree Hill dvd. On October 6, 2008, Schwahn signed a contract that was tantamount to guaranteeing a 7th season of the show, although most of the cast members' contracts expire at the end of the current one. Schwahn has guaranteed that he will stay as show runner if a 7th season is ordered.

spooky joe

Reaction score
As Roger Glover said "AT the time the trend was not to be trendy for us. An I guess we did it quite well." (something like this)
Hits are hits on Vinyl you can get tired of smoke on the water or black night (but never highway star), but live, they can turn it into a completely not hit song with all the joy and fun in music (from rock to blues). You really can spend the time of forever in the archives, bootlegs, concerts and you can never get bored due to the creativity and atmoshpere they can change in a song in two different nights on the same tour. Made in Japan is the most fabulous example for this. If you have the 3 cd collection you can hear almost the same set 3 nights in a row. Some track are so identical that you would say it is just like the next part of the last night show, others are completely different like they would do on whole separate tours in time. Marvellous creativity and improv from all 5 members...

Magnum you're spot on there.
Deep Purple Mk2 could take a song and turn it into something else ( or not , depending largely on what mood Ritchie was in )
The interplay between Blackmore , Lord and Paice still destroys me. They were a LIVE band. Highway Star was written on the tour bus on the way to a gig in Portsmouth and played that very same nite.
I've got most of their live lp's/cd's and every one is a treasure trove of how classic hard rock should be played.
No 2nd rate blues/rip-off/folksie/pub rock/boogie. No..... dynamic , intricate , simple , aggressive , technical , fierce , loud seat of yer pants and in yer face original rock'n'roll.
MIJ is the reason i play guitar. I'd heard Hendrix/Clapton etc before. But it was Blackmore that made me sit up and say " fuck me , now that is something else...... get me a guitar"
Rock on:dude:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
"Lazy" from Machine Head says it all. Absolutely amazing work there.

stargazer76

Reaction score
Hey Spooky,
Ritchie,s #1 in my book also, with Trower a very close second. I've seen Rainbow many times, the best during the RJD period. As a guitarist I find interesting all the subtle style changes he has gone through throughout the years. Early Purple 69-70, MK III Made in Japan, Late Purple 74, Rainbow w/ RJD, Rainbow w/ Bonnet, then his unremarkable DP reunions on into the last Rainbow incarnation with Doogie. That by the way was great! Not so keen on the Blackmores Night thing, however. I liked it at first, many good songs. But for me, I'm not sure he has much left.
Cheers

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I had already been playing for several years when I got the chance to see Deep Purple in Wichita, Kansas in January 1971. (A horrible ice storm hit the city while everyone was inside enjoying the show.) Uriah Heep was the opening act.

What a show. "Deep Purple In Rock" was out and they went through that live with no problems. Ritchie did an unbelievable solo on "Sweet Child In Time." Hell, all of his solo's were unbelievable! Most people do not know that back then, Ritchie played through a Struder reel-to-reel and that is how he got his (tape) delay on his solos. That was it, just a raw amp and some tape delay.

Needless to say, I saw DP seven more times and I must say that the Machine Head tour was an absolute ass ripper. I own about 22 vinyl and CD's of DP and I am getting three more in the mail from Amazon.com.

Yeah, I'm a Ritchie fan.

Marty

byljer

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Ritchie Blackmore is just my role model as well. I'm preparing an article about the RB gear for the Hungarian Blackmore's Night fanclub, altough I have lots of information, I do not clearly know, what marshall amp did he use. It is clear that he had one boosted up by Jim and the techs for 200Watts, but is there any more detail like the model number he had boosted up? And there is the white cabinet solution he used in the 80s and 93(for example on Come Hell or High Water DVD)...what about that one?
Do you know something?
Thanks!

Blackmore used Marshall Majors that were "boosted up" by Jim Marshall. I think they were around 280watts instead of the usual 200watts. Blackmore used them until the early ninties when he turned to Engl amps. The white Marshalls you refer to are also the Major edition.

Blackmore didn't obtain his sound just by using Majors. He experiemented with different pu's, he used treble boosters, and from around 1974 he used his modified Aiwa tape deck for a little distortion and ecco (Fulltone Tube Tape Ecco is the closest today, but it costs...).

I've nailed Blackmores 70s sound by using the following set up:

-Fender Stratocaster 1971 premium reissue, Crafted In Japan, Texas Special pu's through my Marshall 1987X reissue/ vintage cab
-RBTC tone circuit from 2008 Revised Index A crusial part to get real close to his sound.
-RBTB treble booster from same place

prolife

Reaction score
in rock and fireball, of course. there are some moments of the mighty cringe: stombringer, house of the blue light and come taste the band. even so there are some good tunes there. when i saw the california jam i thought it was the worst thing i'd ever seen. but then it became a favourite. glenn hughs arrrgggg though!
that sound on the jam is a favourite, so he has just alnico 5 pups and a brit major! (well untill it hit the crowd.)
i kinda want richie to teach the wife how to play and get to see her shred!

StratMatt

Reaction score
In my book, it's Blackmore, then the rest can fight it out for 2nd. In no particular order, No No No from Fireball - the tone is as near perfect as you'll hear. Gates of Babylon - stunning solo. Weiss Heim - haunting. Wring That Neck from In Concert - that's how a Gibson should sound. Anya from Stuttgart '93 - a solo so perfect, even the band applauded him!

"come taste the band." That was Tommy Bolin.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
As I am a Blackmore fan to the hilt. Ritchie is one of the most prolific guitar players there is, he can move from an Acoustic instrument to his wall of Majors and a Strat and be incredible on both and leave you thinking "Bloody Hell". He knows how to put records in the juke box, but then turn around and shun the mainstream! His playing back in the 70's made me want to practice more and stick to the classic music in class. But on the same token made want a Strat and Marshall Major and make all the neighbors have a piss. While he may be a bit underrated in the US, in the UK he maintains the status of being one of the "Best of the Best" His Made in Japan tone is my favorite and always will be. I can't say enough about RB so I will shut it here. And for all you shredder willy wackers who think you are guitar gods, I dare you to sit down with Ritchie Blackmore and see if you can impress him!

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
This thread made me hit up Amazon.com for some Deep Purple CD's I was missing. Deep Purple CD's have a strange habit of walking out of an all night party. I just bought five CD's. Ritchie, Ritchie, Ritchie.

bloosman1

Reaction score
I saw blackmore in 74 with Deep Purple (Cal jam 1 and at the San Bernardino Swing), then in 76 with rainbow (Santa Monica Civic)... He was and is stellar!

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I saw blackmore in 74 with Deep Purple (Cal jam 1 and at the San Bernardino Swing), then in 76 with rainbow (Santa Monica Civic)... He was and is stellar!

I was a Cal-Jam attendee too great show.

Latest posts