Satriani Leaves Marshall-hjs ?

• Thread starter renips
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dmann

Reaction score
Last edited:

santiall

Reaction score
He's always used a few amps, mostly vintage Marshalls and Fenders, but the 'go-to' amp was the JVM in the past few albums including the last one. Joe always mentions it himself in the interviews.
Perhaps some of the songs on that album back in 2016 or part of them are Axe-FX but definitely not the 100% of the album.

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
anyone feel it's worth owning the 410h and hjs?

If I had the money, I would have kept both. Who knows how it would have turned out, but I really loved the straight up Clean Green and OD1 Amber channel from the 410H. Unfortunately I needed to put two noise gates at the input and in the loop to keep the noise issues in check, but it was a great setup for an awesome clean sound and an awesome 80s metal sound. The OD2 channel was fun in its own right. The Crunch channel was the only one I had zero use for, just sounded way too bassy with all my guitars. Joe mentioned in an online article that the 410H actually has some kind of 'something' added to it, though, to make it sound better at bedroom volumes...but that was removed from the HJS, because it was designed to play in large venues. I can attest I could get much better bedroom volumes with the 410, but was still a very loud amp.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
If the DSL's are Marshall's Flagship line, they've fallen almost to the very bottom. I would consider the 410HJS as the Flagship of Marshall still, replacing the standard 410H.
Yeah, I'm not sure how well the new DSL amps will sell, which would certainly help solidify a case for the new flagship, but it's too early to tell.

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that the 410HJS is the current flagship. I'm not sure the 410HJS has the numbers to supplant the standard 410H in flagship status. Over the course of production, the standard 410H has sold more than the 410HJS, which weakens the case for the 410HJS as a flagship. True, the standard 410H has been around a lot longer than the 410HJS, but if Satriani is leaving Marshall, then the future of the 410HJS may be in jeopardy (how can the 410HJS remain the flagship if it's discontinued? I wonder if Marshall will rename the 410HJS and keep it in production similarly to what Peavy did with the 5150.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure how well the new DSL amps will sell, which would certainly help solidify a case for the new flagship, but it's too early to tell.

Not sure I agree with the sentiment that the 410HJS is the current flagship. I'm not sure the 410HJS has the numbers to supplant the standard 410H in flagship status. Over the course of production, the standard 410H has sold more than the 410HJS, which weakens the case for the 410HJS as a flagship. True, the standard 410H has been around a lot longer than the 410HJS, but if Satriani is leaving Marshall, then the future of the 410HJS may be in jeopardy (how can the 410HJS remain the flagship if it's discontinued? I wonder if Marshall will rename the 410HJS and keep it in production similarly to what Peavy did with the 5150.
Well the 410H was out for far longer than the HJS, and then add to it, that those who have the 410H are less likely to buy another amp just because the eq is tweaked. I don't think the numbers sold are indicative of a Flagship model. I would argue that the Flagship models sell far less than the other versions available, or models. It's typically the most expensive model, and provide the most features. The 410HJS pretty much checks both boxes there.

Ghostman

Reaction score

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
It's also a bit tough to find good videos on youtube of the HJS (well...the same could be said for the 410H, really). I just stumbled on this today. The dude has a bunch of videos, good posts in the comments. I've never had the opportunity to sound test at these volumes, but anybody can watch this and tell me it's not an amazing, AMAZING Marshall tone. Of course, you could tell me it's not, but...anyhow.

He's got some reverb and delay from a GT-10 in the loop. The comments go into his settings and such.

Sound test:

Les Paul into the HJS:

I wish I could find those Don Stick videos as well, where he gets an amazing brown sound outta the HJS. Coulda swore they were in the currently defuct JVM Forum, can't find em anymore.

As far as 'flagship' models go, I never hear of companies other than Marshall refer to their amps in that way...yes, the JVM series is the flagship as far as I'm concerned. They haven't made an amplifier that comes close to replicating (or improving) what it does. But...who knows, Marshall's new business plan just may well can all that in exchange for Asian made amps at lower price points (outside of their reissued classics).

peterplexi

Reaction score
No way. Joe is a serious gear head and his tone is constantly evolving. He will use whatever gear gives him the sound he is looking for at the time.
His HJS was made for HIM. This last album was very different from
his albums of the last decade. And to the guy who said he used Fractal for 100% of this album...You don't know what your talking about. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
He used the effects section of the Fractal for the album but various tube heads including his hjs.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
It's also a bit tough to find good videos on youtube of the HJS (well...the same could be said for the 410H, really). I just stumbled on this today. The dude has a bunch of videos, good posts in the comments. I've never had the opportunity to sound test at these volumes, but anybody can watch this and tell me it's not an amazing, AMAZING Marshall tone. Of course, you could tell me it's not, but...anyhow.

He's got some reverb and delay from a GT-10 in the loop. The comments go into his settings and such.

Sound test:

Les Paul into the HJS:

I wish I could find those Don Stick videos as well, where he gets an amazing brown sound outta the HJS. Coulda swore they were in the currently defuct JVM Forum, can't find em anymore.

As far as 'flagship' models go, I never hear of companies other than Marshall refer to their amps in that way...yes, the JVM series is the flagship as far as I'm concerned. They haven't made an amplifier that comes close to replicating (or improving) what it does. But...who knows, Marshall's new business plan just may well can all that in exchange for Asian made amps at lower price points (outside of their reissued classics).

Sounds great. I'm going to plug a strat into mine soon. The big problem with the JVM is Marshall does not give it away. They should just hand it out like candy or better yet, build it in a developing country with lower quality components and sell it for 900 bucks. I know people love UK made Marshalls....that is.... until they have to buy one and then the hordes come out saying what a POS it is.

Truth be told, I sold off most of my Marshalls but I'm keeping the JVMHJS.

ColorfulMusic

Reaction score
He used the effects section of the Fractal for the album but various tube heads including his hjs.
This...I agree. I have spoken to Joe personally. At G4 you can converse with the artist and pick there brain. Joe openly shares what he uses where and when.

lorenzar

Reaction score
We all know JVM HJS is not getting manufactured anymore, but I just had official confirmation from Marshall (too bad, I missed some very good deals at Thomann & co who were selling it cheap through the end).

One thing I wonder about this JVM HJS, does it sound good also at home volume (let's say with Master at 1 or 2). I'm asking, cause the regular JVM sounds good at every volume to me, from bedroom to loud !

I'd like to chase for a used JVM HJS but I'd like it to be as effective (or close) as the regular one with low volumes too, cause the regular one really sounds good when you play at home.

peterplexi

Reaction score
We all know JVM HJS is not getting manufactured anymore, but I just had official confirmation from Marshall (too bad, I missed some very good deals at Thomann & co who were selling it cheap through the end).

One thing I wonder about this JVM HJS, does it sound good also at home volume (let's say with Master at 1 or 2). I'm asking, cause the regular JVM sounds good at every volume to me, from bedroom to loud !

I'd like to chase for a used JVM HJS but I'd like it to be as effective (or close) as the regular one with low volumes too, cause the regular one really sounds good when you play at home.

texhex

Reaction score
This guys demo of the JS is pretty nice:

One damn fine Marshall IMO. If you can’t get the Marshall sound done with this amp... you can’t get it done.

peterplexi

Reaction score
I could get myself one in the meantime and yes, as you said, the amp work very well at low volume ! Insane amp, I love it !
And dude the speaker sim. output sounds amazing also for silent jamming into a mixer or headphone amp or whatever.

Jr Deluxe

Reaction score
His Marshalls were pretty heavily modified from stock unless I'm behind in the facts. Does the hjs have gates on every chanel instead of reverb? Or the reduction in compression & change in the presence as detailed in his rig rundown?

peterplexi

Reaction score
His Marshalls were pretty heavily modified from stock unless I'm behind in the facts. Does the hjs have gates on every chanel instead of reverb? Or the reduction in compression & change in the presence as detailed in his rig rundown?
Each channel has its own gate. Works really well..they never get in the way and you can never detect them even being on.