SCORE! 1977 2204 Half Stack - All Original!

• Thread starter TTownDave
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TTownDave

Reaction score
With some friendly insight from this forum's members, I was able to confidently make a purchase of this today. I haven't taken the back off the head yet, but I did take the back off the cab. I think it has the original speakers. I bought it from a lady in her 70's, who had purchased it for her son, brand new, when he was 19 years old. He passed away a few years ago, and she has had it at her house ever since. I'll try to get the back off the head in the next few days, and snap a few photos, and post them here. I paid $1,500 for the head and cab. I feel as though I've made a fair purchase. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75

TTownDave

Reaction score
By the way . . . I'm not sure what the signature that is scribbled at the bottom of the cab might be. Any ideas?

dreyn77

Reaction score
unfortunitly marshall has released a press release saying these things need to go back for recycling. After 20 years all marshall product must go back and be disposed of responsibly.

Do you have a big cardboard box?

If you don't I've got a spare empty box from a new amp purchase so if you send it over to me I'll put it in the box and dispose of it responsibly. ;)

TTownDave

Reaction score
unfortunitly marshall has released a press release saying these things need to go back for recycling. After 20 years all marshall product must go back and be disposed of responsibly.

If you don't I've got a spare empty box from a new amp purchase so if you send it over to me I'll put it in the box and dispose of it responsibly. ;)

You're making me laugh . . The amp sounds really good. I'm loving it. Back to work tomorrow, and I'm already hanker for next weekend, so I can lock myself in my man cave & dive in deeper!

keennay

Reaction score
That's a fair price. Congrats! There's a good chance your amp has 6550 power tubes assuming it's all original (and judging by the 120V tag on the back of your amp). Whenever you get a chance, could you post camera shots of the back of your amp without the cover?

TTownDave

Reaction score
That's a fair price. Congrats! There's a good chance your amp has 6550 power tubes assuming it's all original (and judging by the 120V tag on the back of your amp). Whenever you get a chance, could you post camera shots of the back of your amp without the cover?

Absolutely. I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow evening. I was going to do it at the same time I took the back off the cab, but I couldn't contain myself from playing it! Thanks!

12barjunkie

Reaction score
With some friendly insight from this forum's members, I was able to confidently make a purchase of this today. I haven't taken the back off the head yet, but I did take the back off the cab. I think it has the original speakers. I bought it from a lady in her 70's, who had purchased it for her son, brand new, when he was 19 years old. He passed away a few years ago, and she has had it at her house ever since. I'll try to get the back off the head in the next few days, and snap a few photos, and post them here. I paid $1,500 for the head and cab. I feel as though I've made a fair purchase. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Dude, that's awesome! Congrats on a nice score! :hbang:

First post from dreyn I've
understood..... ever!

Bucknasty

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp. I have an 81 JMP 2203. They are great amps and beginning to become pretty sought after.

Ken

Reaction score
By the way . . . I'm not sure what the signature that is scribbled at the bottom of the cab might be. Any ideas?

That's probably Jim Marshall's. The ones I've seen all look like that; The 'Jim' is clear and the rest is a scribble. The 'L' in the scribble is like the logo!

He signed cabinets every day for 30+ years so it's actually not rare and doesn't add value since no one can see it, but it's way cool to have a signed one.

Ken

mott555

Reaction score
You done struck gold, and I can confidently say that because I also have a 1977 JMP 2204 half-stack (though yours is pristine and mine was obviously used and abused). Now I want to open my cab and see if Jim's signature is in there.

If you're not adverse to modding, add a Metro FX loop and a PPIMV and you'll be able to sound like any Marshall from the late 60's to the late 80's.

Mxzx

Reaction score
Why would you put a PPIMV on a Master Volume model?

mott555

Reaction score
Why would you put a PPIMV on a Master Volume model?

I can turn down the PPIMV to make the normal master volume less sensitive, or I can turn it way down and crank the master volume for PI-tube distortion which really nails that dimed Plexi sound and feel without destroying the building around me with high sound pressure. And of course turn it all the way up to make the circuit act stock. Not a bad little addition for $20.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Again, congrats:applause:

As for paying a fair price...you got the cabinet for free, literally...
enjoy it!

mapat

Reaction score
Awesome score, congrats on the sweet new rig!

What is the L in the tolex above and to the right of the input jacks?

If that were my amp I'd never mod it in a million years.