• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

SERIOUSLY?

• Thread starter Exotic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

realtorrich

Reaction score
It definitely looks like there were a few hands in there over the years. Question is, did they know what they were doing? From the pics, not. Good luck!

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
I prefer the later plexis (late 68-69). Power and output transformers separated by the larger capacitors on the top chassis. They sound more aggressive to me..

Derrick111

Reaction score
Price guide or bluebook, a 1968 plexi is valued at $4000-$6000 depending on condition as long as demand is there. One with tremolo a bit more on average. It is part of history for most.

This sounds spot on to me. Some have mentioned before as above that they have some preference for the later 68 and 69 plexis for their higher gain. But in my opinion, since the early metal panel Superleads can be had for a fraction of the price of the nearly identical later 68-69 plexis, I tend to be more interested in the rounder, fatter, more unique sounds of the pre-late '68 Superlead plexis. They are harder to come by - less were made as Marshall was still catching on and developing their circuits. When I hear Hendrix at Monterey, The Who from that time, Cream or early Blue Cheer, I think of sound of Superleads from before the late '68 spec. Additional gain can come from a fuzz or clean boost if needed. So these amps are, in my eyes, more desirable. The Tremolo amps are wicked cool too! Yes, quite rare as well. I happen to have a late '67/early '68 similar to the eBay amp that inspired this whole thread, but it's a Super Trem. It does not have the .68 cap in the preamp as seen in the eBay amp that inspired this thread. That single .68 cap makes the amp seen in the eBay auction a transition amp. They went from no caps on top, to one cap on top, to using a single on top and a .68 cap for gain/mid boost in the preamp (like the amp in the auction), to finally using two .68 caps on the board and mounting the filter caps on top like you see in the later 68-69 spec and early metal panel Superleads. Technically, I'm saying the older shared cathode preamp versions are harder to find, more unique and fatter sounding, and the Tremolo versions of these are even harder to find and way cool. Here is some pretty cool tremolo action on an early Super Trem stack:

Derrick111

Reaction score
Also, If you actually count the knobs on the amps of some of the classic rock dinosaurs, you will see 8 of them which indicates a Super Tremolo. I was shocked just how many of the legends were using them... in addition to Pete Townshend of The Who:

How about this iconic Hendrix photo with two Super Tremolos?

Or Eric Clapton's stacks in Cream (left is a Super Tremolo)

Or Jeff Beck

jeffb

Reaction score
10_57_-_Hannover_Techische_Uni_Lichthof_Germany_7._7._1973_-_2.jpg

neikeel

Reaction score
Hi Derrick
Couple of nitpicks;)
The Beck amp is a 50w Trem
Re the cathode bypass caps (0.68uF) they first appeared in ‘68 as the grey 250v axials on both V1b and V2a. Then yellow Phillips on both then mustards, sometimes red Wimas. In 71/72 they dropped the V2a cap. This coincided with the V2b resistor being swapped to 1k and the NFB reduced to 100k off the 4ohm tap. :cheers:

Derrick111

Reaction score
Hi Neil, Happy New Year. I am aware Beck's Tremolo top is a 50w... just making the point of how many legends actually used the Tremolo model and thus how many of the great tones that people love actually came from tremolo models. As for the .68uf cathode bypass caps, are you saying that you don't think that Marshall briefly started with one .68uf cathode bypass cap on V1, then very soon after went to the familiar two .68uf cathode bypass caps (on on V1 and on on V2)? I have seen enough untouched '68/single cap on top era Marshalls that only had the V1 cap like the one in this eBay auction to be suspicious of your claim. Additionally, you don't see the V1 but no V2 .68uf cathode bypass cap examples post changeover. I didn't work for Marshall back then, and won't claim to be an authority, but it just seems unlikely that a pretty rare era of amp would have had so many 'no V2 .68uf cathode bypass cap' mods with perfectly faked board and tube connections/joints... and only pre-changeover. I mean, what would be the reason or point in this?

Ramo

Reaction score
Im too cheap, not for me :)

Latest posts