Show us your oldest instrument.

• Thread starter Angry Possum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Old you say?:thumb:
Definitely my oldest, ca 1895 Lyon and Healy (Washburn) Henry L Mason branded parlor (on left)20210718_112158.jpg its been a long project thats almost done, i just got the correct bridge and still need to glue it on and set it up, its just taped on for the pic. The guitar on right is hella old too, early '30s Regal in crazy good condition, one of my best players.

Martymig1

Reaction score
My beloved 70's Reissue. Named it Woodstock.
I have a 1968 Strat in Olympic White with the 2 ply maple neck and I love it. The neck on it is awesome. It's the nicest neck I've ever had on any of my Strats. I had a 62 reissue from the Fullerton plant which had a nice neck and a 57 reissue that I hated. I also had a 1974 with a rosewood laminated fretboard that was terrible. I also had a 1983 Elite Stratocaster which had the worst neck I've ever played on. None of them match up to this 1968 that I've recently aquired.
I just bought a Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Stratocaster made in Mexico that I'm using to practice on that will preserve my 1968, the real deal, for important gigs and stuff or so I just don't wear out the frets. I've never had a Stratocaster that I care so much about that I'm afraid to play it......hahahaha....... I've always been abusive towards my guitars. Never cared about them. My motto was always, if you spend to much time polishing the thing, you'll never get good at playing it. I used to bust tremelo arms off inside the block and would have to use an extractor kit to unscrew the threads. Now I'm afraid to play such a fine instrument and bought an el' cheapo to grind away on. I actually hate the Voodoo Strat from Mexico. The neck is awful and the tone is lacking. I ordered a neck replacement from Warmoth. I got the 2 ply maple with a boat neck radius of 9.5 with their Nitro finish on it except the face of the headstock. I'm going with the aged urethane look. I got the modern style that had the truss rod adjustments on the side of the neck towards the heal. Minus that irksome "skunk stripe" down the back.... I'm sure it's going to feel alot better than the neck from Mexico. I can't stand Mexican made guitars ! They're cheap imitations in my book. I just got one because I didn't feel like spending a tone of money on a beater guitar. I ordered a set of custom pick ups for it also. They are from this guy in Russia www.priborapickups.com I got his set of 1967 Stratocaster pick ups for a left handed guitar. I'm reversing them on it since it's a Hendrix Voodoo Stratocaster. The headstock is upside down along with the pick ups. The bridge pick up is slanted away from the volume knob instead of in towards it. I'll get a slight tonal change and the low E string resonates a little longer. That's about it..... I just want to improve this Mexican piece a crap the best I can.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Strat in Olympic White with the 2 ply maple neck and I love it. The neck on it is awesome. It's the nicest neck I've ever had on any of my Strats. I had a 62 reissue from the Fullerton plant which had a nice neck and a 57 reissue that I hated. I also had a 1974 with a rosewood laminated fretboard that was terrible. I also had a 1983 Elite Stratocaster which had the worst neck I've ever played on. None of them match up to this 1968 that I've recently aquired.
I just bought a Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Stratocaster made in Mexico that I'm using to practice on that will preserve my 1968, the real deal, for important gigs and stuff or so I just don't wear out the frets. I've never had a Stratocaster that I care so much about that I'm afraid to play it......hahahaha....... I've always been abusive towards my guitars. Never cared about them. My motto was always, if you spend to much time polishing the thing, you'll never get good at playing it. I used to bust tremelo arms off inside the block and would have to use an extractor kit to unscrew the threads. Now I'm afraid to play such a fine instrument and bought an el' cheapo to grind away on. I actually hate the Voodoo Strat from Mexico. The neck is awful and the tone is lacking. I ordered a neck replacement from Warmoth. I got the 2 ply maple with a boat neck radius of 9.5 with their Nitro finish on it except the face of the headstock. I'm going with the aged urethane look. I got the modern style that had the truss rod adjustments on the side of the neck towards the heal. Minus that irksome "skunk stripe" down the back.... I'm sure it's going to feel alot better than the neck from Mexico. I can't stand Mexican made guitars ! They're cheap imitations in my book. I just got one because I didn't feel like spending a tone of money on a beater guitar. I ordered a set of custom pick ups for it also. They are from this guy in Russia www.priborapickups.com I got his set of 1967 Stratocaster pick ups for a left handed guitar. I'm reversing them on it since it's a Hendrix Voodoo Stratocaster. The headstock is upside down along with the pick ups. The bridge pick up is slanted away from the volume knob instead of in towards it. I'll get a slight tonal change and the low E string resonates a little longer. That's about it..... I just want to improve this Mexican piece a crap the best I can.
The neck is called a maple cap . Which is a neck blank at first then the truss rod is laid inside of the neck with the maple piece with the frets going on top of the neck blank . Thus there is no skunk stripe on the back of the neck .

Martymig1

Reaction score
The neck is called a maple cap . Which is a neck blank at first then the truss rod is laid inside of the neck with the maple piece with the frets going on top of the neck blank . Thus there is no skunk stripe on the back of the neck .
Exactly....

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
ok, I didn't even think about it, my Grandfather passed on his early 1900s Ludwig drumkit...

View attachment 91712
that's a picture, of a picture, that was taken years ago.

I took this of the snare:

PAUL3854.jpg

if you look closely at the snare, you'll note, that they didn't use spring coils, like they do today. These are some sort of soft wound guitar, or piano string, that are very loose, which give the snare it's sound...

as you can see, the heads are actually skin wrapped around a hoop, that fits under the wood rim. The 24" kickdrum, is also skin heads, w/ the back side mural painted, which was popular in the '30s. As was a specific mtn/stream type image.I don't know what all mod's my Grandfather had done to it, since he was a diy'er & also a mechanic...

Here's the kick pedal...

PAUL3853.jpg

once again, I don't know what's stock, what's cobbled on, or if he even made this from scratch himself... :shrug:

Ramo

Reaction score
Probably my '93 Les Paul Standard. I'll hop up a few years since I've had this other one new since the very beginning in '96. Here she is in her 3 stages of life. Currently a black-top ....

1996 Les Paul Standard in Honeyburst

Ha6C60w.png

To Lemon:

YHyrg1X.png

To da black-top:

y9qO904.png
To me black works the best.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
My early 1900's C. Bruno guitar could be a bird house.

It was a gift from my grand-father.

It sits as is and is reminder of his love.

Wildeman

Reaction score
My early 1900's C. Bruno guitar could be a bird house.

It was a gift from my grand-father.

It sits as is and is reminder of his love.
Pic's? My blond Oscar Schmidt Stella is a Bruno labeled guitar, i also have a Harmony Stella with a Bruno label and two banjos, a Conqueror by Stromberg Voisenet and a super fancy Bruno Artist by Lange or Houdlett, both are resonator tenors.

LiveeviL2000

Reaction score
upload_2021-8-10_15-21-10.jpeg
Currently my oldest.
1990 Fender Showmaster.

My very first instrument, which I sold was a 1984 Pearl White BC Rich Warlock bass.
Gotta love the 80s!
upload_2021-8-10_15-35-39.jpeg

Redguitar

Reaction score
This not mine, but I have a black version that my brother gave to me. It's a short scale 1965 Baldwin Nu-sonic. Mine has seen better days though.

up1wlk7ujgaspa714hno.jpg