Show us your oldest instrument.

• Thread starter Angry Possum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Probably my '93 Les Paul Standard. I'll hop up a few years since I've had this other one new since the very beginning in '96. Here she is in her 3 stages of life. Currently a black-top ....

1996 Les Paul Standard in Honeyburst

Ha6C60w.png

To Lemon:

YHyrg1X.png

To da black-top:

y9qO904.png

El Gringo

Reaction score
What year is it?
It's quite confusing . When I purchased it in 1971 that's what I thought it was . Then others have said it was a 58 including a well respected vintage shop . It's old is all I know . It has no Volute , or the made in USA on the back of the headstock, it has the long tenon showing in the neck pickup cavity . It has the dotted I in the headstock, and she came with Patent Sticker T-Tops . The neck profile is huge like a baseball bat and has the fretless wonder frets . When I purchased her with dad he took care of all the business stuff with the shop owner . All the case candy and warranty card and such got tossed out in the early 80's .My gut says 68 or early 69 . The Vintage shop owner was going over her with a fine tooth comb and was popping a chubby eyeing her , which I did not expect , he never made an offer as he knew I wasn't selling her and I just took her to him for a quickie set up which he did .

Last edited:

Derrick111

Reaction score
Nice! No volute and T tops sounds like 68-69... are the original pots gone? The dates on them would help you too. As well as the type of caps used. I once got a '70 for a discounted price because it had a replacement pickup. It turns out the replacement was an original 50s PAF!

El Gringo

Reaction score
Nice! No volute and T tops sounds like 68-69... are the original pots gone? The dates on them would help you too. As well as the type of caps used. I once got a '70 for a discounted price because it had a replacement pickup. It turns out the replacement was an original 50s PAF!
The wiring harness I had replaced way back with vintage Bumble bee Paper in oil caps with 500k pots . When I was in high school in the later 70's I replaced the wiring harness along with the T-Tops as every one was tearing everything up in the ever ending quest of "modding" .The T-Tops first came out for Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups , then in the early 80's came Seymour Duncan Distortion for the bridge , along with a 59 for the neck .Those stayed on until 1992 when they were replaced by Gibson 57 Classic in the neck with the Gibson 57 Classic + in the bridge , which worked very nicely with my Fender amps until 2015 when I got my first Marshall 2555X half stack . Then at once I hated the tone of the guitar thru My 2555X's. It just felt flat and dead like the proverbial wet blanket until 2018 when I jumped on the ThroBak bandwagon and the rest is history . Credit for all of my tinkering back then goes to Guitar Player magazine of course ,as fast as I would read about what so and so did to there guitar I was ready in a flash to update mine . This was all dark ages pre internet days LOL

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, I forgot all about this baby. An extremely rare 1989 Washburn J-10. They were only made for one year, in 3 colors: Natural, Vintage Sunburst and Cherry Sunburst (mine). It's a total gem, built every bit as good as the Gibson ES-175 it's copied from. Washburn had a few models in the late 80's when they were trying to compete with Gibson. I knew a guy in 1988 who had their white Les Paul Custom copy and that was really nice too. It's the only guitar I've had that I could never part with. I've had offers for it for 5 times what I paid for it in 2001. This one was made in April 1989, which makes it just over 32 years old now in 2021, and it's in excellent condition, all original parts, I'm it's second owner.

full

full

full

Last edited: