Show us your oldest instrument.

• Thread starter Angry Possum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
ok

all original 1952 Fender Esquire. plus original strap that came with the guitar
when it was ordered. i do have the original capo, set of strings and guitar picks from the era. imo, its the Holy Grail of tele tone. the wood has aged fantastic.

52 esquire electronics.png

full esquire.JPG

Wildeman

Reaction score

KraftyBob

Reaction score
This is my very first guitar - I bought it around 1980 when I was in a garage band. Even though it was just an OK guitar I could never sell it for sentimental reasons, so it sat in its case in the basement for years. Then a few years ago I decided instead of it just sitting there doing nothing, why not try to make it a little better? The notes in the pic are the changes I made to it. I bought the Gibson pups for $80 from a guy that pulled them from his Les Paul in place of Seymour Duncan's. All in this was about a $200 project.

I'm happy to say it's out of the basement in back in my music room. I keep it tuned to Drop D and it gets its share of use now.

IMG_1667a.JPG

Last edited:

donwagar

Reaction score
My oldest, '53.

full

Martymig1

Reaction score
ok

all original 1952 Fender Esquire. plus original strap that came with the guitar
when it was ordered. i do have the original capo, set of strings and guitar picks from the era. imo, its the Holy Grail of tele tone. the wood has aged fantastic.

View attachment 91323

View attachment 91324
Can ask you, what are the numbers on that CRL toggle switch ? Not all the pat numbers but the main one.. thank you...

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
This is my very first guitar. I bought around 1980 when I was in a garage band. Even though it was just an OK guitar I could never sell it for sentimental reasons, so it sat in its case in the basement for years. Then a few years ago I decided instead of it just sitting there doing nothing, why not try to make it a little better. The notes in the pic are the changes I made to it. I bought the Gibson pups for $80 from a guy that pulled them from his Les Paul in place of Seymour Duncan's. All in this was about a $200 project.

I'm happy to say it's out of the basement in back in my music room. I keep it tuned to Drop D and it gets its share of use now.

View attachment 91348
Perfect way to continue to enjoy your first guitar, especially if it started out as a cheaper one. Kudos!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

PelliX

Reaction score
This is not my ad, but I don't have a pic right now:

https://reverb.com/item/3526223-vin...-guitar-single-gold-foil-pickup-made-in-japan

It's the same guitar, just in a slightly worse state, body is a bit chipped, the whammy bar is broken off, it was missing a screw in the neckplate. I restored the pots, cap and the rest and did a reasonable job on the metal pickguard. Tone knob is missing a little part of the top. It was also my first electric.