Show us your oldest instrument.

• Thread starter Angry Possum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
This is not my ad, but I don't have a pic right now:

https://reverb.com/item/3526223-vin...-guitar-single-gold-foil-pickup-made-in-japan

It's the same guitar, just in a slightly worse state, body is a bit chipped, the whammy bar is broken off, it was missing a screw in the neckplate. I restored the pots, cap and the rest and did a reasonable job on the metal pickguard. Tone knob is missing a little part of the top. It was also my first electric.
Cool looking guitar - I love the commitment of mirroring the burst not just on the headstock but on the back of the neck too. Never seen that!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
This is my very first guitar - I bought it around 1980 when I was in a garage band. Even though it was just an OK guitar I could never sell it for sentimental reasons, so it sat in its case in the basement for years. Then a few years ago I decided instead of it just sitting there doing nothing, why not try to make it a little better? The notes in the pic are the changes I made to it. I bought the Gibson pups for $80 from a guy that pulled them from his Les Paul in place of Seymour Duncan's. All in this was about a $200 project.

I'm happy to say it's out of the basement in back in my music room. I keep it tuned to Drop D and it gets its share of use now.

View attachment 91348

i like this. ALOT

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
My Yamaha FG-4130. 41 years old.

CEfLQQQ.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Can ask you, what are the numbers on that CRL toggle switch ? Not all the pat numbers but the main one.. thank you...

i dont know right at the moment. i do not store this guitar at home or a storage unit.
ive only ever opened the cavity just that once. why whats on your mind?
Gruhn might still have some pics. i dont have but a couple. just shitty cellphone pics. have been wanting to hire a photographer to go snap some shots for me when i have the extra cash for it and it moves higher on my list lol.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Cool looking guitar - I love the commitment of mirroring the burst not just on the headstock but on the back of the neck too. Never seen that!

I actually have a piece of crap western acoustic with the same thing, the neck makes it look amazing. Shame about the rest of it. I love a sunburst done right. As for sound, the Audition plays quite OK and the foil pickup really nails some of the old stuff! I don't play it much, but when I do it's old Chuck Berry and other 50's/early 60's stuff. I also had (yes, given away as it was impractical for moving internationally) an early 1900's foot pump organ. Made some new stops for it and patched the air sack.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically, the oldest is this 1962 or 63 EKO. A few honorable mentions are required, the EKO is ok for slide but terrible for anythjng else so it doesn't get much use.
The next oldest usable are the 1975 L6-S
and the 1976 LP Deluxe.
Got them over the last 4 years.
Oldest guitar I have owned since new is the 1978 Goya L6 copy.

rDdKRTV.jpg

KlbxZV9.jpg

YJXILLx.jpg

Goya. Owned for 42 years.

uHDzsBS.jpg

Vpy0lur.jpg
Hold up Jethro old buddy,... that Deluxe of yours looks suspiciously like a Custom. 3-ply top binding, gold hardware, and block inlay! :D

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
ok

all original 1952 Fender Esquire. plus original strap that came with the guitar
when it was ordered. i do have the original capo, set of strings and guitar picks from the era. imo, its the Holy Grail of tele tone. the wood has aged fantastic.

View attachment 91323

View attachment 91324
That is fantsatic!! Such great shape. Thanks for that. I hope you do play it now n then.

Martymig1

Reaction score
i dont know right at the moment. i do not store this guitar at home or a storage unit.
ive only ever opened the cavity just that once. why whats on your mind?
Gruhn might still have some pics. i dont have but a couple. just shitty cellphone pics. have been wanting to hire a photographer to go snap some shots for me when i have the extra cash for it and it moves higher on my list lol.
Well, all I was wondering is which CRL switch Fener actually used. I'm on ebay alot and I'm OCD about all the parts of my guitars being original. I cannot deal with the new 5 way toggle switch Fender uses now. I'm used to the 3 way. That's all I've ever used because that's all I ever had in my Strats. So when I buy a newer one and it has a 5 way in it, I rip it out and put a 3 way in it BUT, it has to be the old style 3 way CRL switch. The one like that's in yours in the photo but, there's a few different makes of this switch that uses different strengths of springs. I keep buying them off ebay. I just want to know what the actual part number is on the old Fenders.